Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Immigration minister jacks and possible tax fraud
  • saladdodger
    Free Member

So the ex immigration minister employed an immigrant as a housekeeper who should not of been employed.
    Just a thought if his housekeeper was an illegal immigrant she would on not had a National Insurance number therefor he would not of paid tax on the PAYE .
    Therefore he was also defrauding the taxman so I think a court case is in order cos I am dam sure the taxman would bust our butts

scaredypants

politician in “incompetent or dishonest” dichotomy – unique !

CaptJon
    Free Member

Who says she was on PAYE?

And when he first employed her she had a work visa, so had permission to work.

Northwind

CaptJon – Member

And when he first employed her she had a work visa, so had permission to work.

It’s now the employer’s responsibility to ensure that a worker is working legally- but I think he’s OK on this count as that applies to workers employed after 2008. Absurd that the man responsible for immigration control could screw up in this way frankly but from my understanding it’s not a legal matter, unless the older legislation covered that.

TBH. as someone who’s had to deal professionally with this government’s insane immigration policies, I can say his competence was never in any doubt in the first place.

Tax side is separate of course.

totalshell

frankly if you advertise for a cleaner do you check there status to work before offering her work.. do you pay her cash in hand or do you start a business and make her an employee?

and frankly and if your a bloke do you even know your cleaners name and what days/hours they work..

Northwind

totalshell – Member

frankly if you advertise for a cleaner do you check there status to work before offering her work.. do you pay her cash in hand or do you start a business and make her an employee?

I’m not a government minister working in immigration…

br
    Free Member

We’ve always paid our Cleaners with cash, the same as anyone else that does any work for us. IMO Its up to the individual to declare their earnings, just like it is a companies responsibility.

konabunny
    Free Member

It’s now the employer’s responsibility to ensure that a worker is working legally

Surely the minister is not the cleaner’s employer but his/her client ie the cleaner is a contractor not an employee.

ourmaninthenorth

Read the letters between him and Cameron – today’s Indy I think. He sets out how he messed up. Fair decision to resign IMO and ensures a quicker return to frontbenches. Smart career move given the circs.

br
    Free Member

Read the letters between him and Cameron – today’s Indy I think. He sets out how he messed up. Fair decision to resign IMO and ensures a quicker return to frontbenches. Smart career move given the circs.

Yes, but also shows that without been a member of the Govt probably also impossible to be able to adequately check whether a person doing some work for you (in a non-PAYE position) is allowed to or not.

The person had worked for him for 7 years…, if you’d had the same neighbour for 7 years you’d kinda assume that they were legally in the UK.

kimbers

Its interesting to compare this to the Nazi stag party MP who clung on desperately even lieing about it to Cameron’s inquiry, which only led to the Mail pursuing him further and releasing more compromising photos and digging into his personal life.
    A dogged campaign against you in the countries most popular and salacious news paper/website is good for no one and certainly not for Cameron.

So with this case as he was involved in the expensively ineffective Go Home lorries I suspect that he knew/was advised to bow out swiftly (unless hes fathered a secret love child with the ckeaner 😉 )

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Immigration minister jacks and possible tax fraud’ is closed to new replies.