• This topic has 48 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by olie.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • i'm turning roadie
  • trickydisco
    Free Member

Been riding quite a bit recently with the road club fully lycra’d up. I never ever thought i’d say this but my legs don’t look right with hair and lycra

I vowed last year after hanging out with roadies for a while that i’d never shave my legs. Now i’m looking leaner and been out loads I think hairy legs and lycra just doesn’t look right

I’m scared 😀

Also been told when i start racing i’ll be shamed, attacked, given no favours if I turn up to a race without shaved legs

So admit.. which one of you blokes shaves your legs? 🙂

trickydisco
    Free Member

from the rules

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2258201150&v=info

4. Legs shall be SHAVED year-round. ABSOLUTELY NO EXCEPTIONS. Certain hair removal creams are endorsed only on a case-by-case basis. One shall never show up to a race (be it large or small) with ANY amount of stubble visible on one’s legs.

🙂

crazy-legs

Also from The Rules: http://www.velominati.com/blog/the-rules/

Rule 33:

Legs are to be carefully shaved at all times. If, for some reason, your legs are to be left hairy, make sure you can dish out plenty of hurt to shaved riders, or be considered a hippie douche on their way to a Critical Mass.

So long as you’re good enough, you can use it as reverse psychology… 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Tights.

jonb
    Free Member

Are you fast. You might get away with shaving your legs if you are winning races or getting on the podium. If you are regularly getting dropped in a cat 4 though you’ll just look like you’re trying too hard.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Embrace. 😀

I did it for the first time last year and won’t go back. I got the missus to by me some Veet the first time I did it. Be warned though, it feels and looks weird the first time.

Wearing trousers is so much more comfortable too, especially in the summer and the feeling of freshly shaved legs and clean bed linen is bliss. 😀

You legs will look awesomely tanned by the end of the summer.

Edit: I don’t race but I am incredibly vain? 😳

molgrips
    Free Member

FREAKS!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

S1CK ****!!!

Junkyard
    Free Member

sick is not a swear word you can type it
    Turn up with hairy legs, camelbak , wrong spds, offere evryone haribo before the race, stop after second lap/10 miles have a beer and chat over your gingsters pie, cylce on a bit stop to admire the view …etc

mcboo
    Free Member

I havent done it but I have got my head round it. Its a commitment, gladiatorial even. I wouldnt do it until I was properly racing and sweating spinal fluid.

Q – Do MTB pro racers shave their legs?

singletrackhor
    Free Member

Dye your leg hair the same colour as your skin.

partyboy
    Free Member

Why dont you slick it back with some Brylcreem?

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Q – Do MTB pro racers shave their legs?

njee20
    Free Member

Do MTB pro racers shave their legs?

Yes, as do plenty of non-pros.

I do, the girlfriend hates it though, bit of an ongoing battle there.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Haven’t given in yet 😉

grum
    Free Member

So remind me, what is actually supposed to be the point of shaving your legs? Please tell me it’s not supposed to be to improve aerodynamics or something. 😆

foxyrider
    Free Member

Just stops those hairs from sticking though your tight/lycra 😉

njee20
    Free Member

Stops mud sticking to your legs, makes using embrocation oils much easier, reduces risk of infection from cuts, looks better.

Take your pick.

yossarian
    Free Member

Isn’t it supposed to cause less damage if you crash or something?

uplink
    Free Member

Also been told when i start racing i’ll be shamed, attacked, given no favours if I turn up to a race without shaved legs

It slightly worries me that you’re busy checking out each other’s legs

fasthaggis

Stops mud sticking to your legs, makes using embrocation oils much easier, reduces risk of infection from cuts, looks better

Or..

You are Grayson Perry and I claim my £5

🙂

traildog
    Free Member

“What’s the point?” Do you actually ride a bike? It makes cleaning legs a million times easier. It makes a massive difference when riding through mud. Also better for massages (which can be painful enough without hairs, never mind with) and warming oils etc.
    Having said that, I’ve got hairy legs atm… 😳

njee20
    Free Member

I’m quicker than Grayson Perry, and have nicer legs 🙂

trickydisco
    Free Member

Like i said.. I was adamant last year i wasn’t going to shave them.. This was after turning up to Time trials being the odd one out

I know it’s going to happen it’s just when.

Gives more definition init 😉

ChrisS
    Free Member

So, how high do you go? When naked are you left with hairy shorts?

grum
    Free Member

“What’s the point?” Do you actually ride a bike? It makes cleaning legs a million times easier. It makes a massive difference when riding through mud.

Yeah I’m sure it makes ‘a massive difference’ – I wonder how I manage to ride through mud at all sometimes tbh. Cleaning my legs is often a terribly difficult problem too.

Why can’t people admit that it’s just roadie fashion and the practical benefits are fairly minimal? 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

It makes cleaning legs a million times easier

I’m sorry – get in shower, lather up hands, rub legs – I have NEVER wished it could be easier, and I cannot think of how it could be, and I have extremely hairy legs.

It is just roadie fashion, I agree 🙂

uplink
    Free Member

Stops mud sticking to your legs, makes using embrocation oils much easier, reduces risk of infection from cuts, looks better.

Yeah I’m sure it makes ‘a massive difference’ – I wonder how I manage to ride through mud at all sometimes tbh. Cleaning my legs is often a terribly difficult problem too.

Similarly, I’m very impressed with my ability to have never had an infection from a cut on my leg for the last 40 years riding all sorts of bikes [powered or otherwise]

If only I’d known shaving my legs would have given me added protection

woody2000

Where do you stop shaving though? Do you leave “hairy shorts”, and stop just above the grippers or do you go right up to the nutsack (and beyond?) 😀

poppa
    Free Member

Some people do different things to you. Get over it.

How would you like it if everyone was identical? Billions of Piers Morgans? Exactly.

ferrit
    Free Member

Poofter, eh?

will
    Free Member

crazy-legs – Member
    Also from The Rules: http://www.velominati.com/blog/the-rules/

Rule 33:
    Legs are to be carefully shaved at all times. If, for some reason, your legs are to be left hairy, make sure you can dish out plenty of hurt to shaved riders, or be considered a hippie douche on their way to a Critical Mass.

So long as you’re good enough, you can use it as reverse psychology…

Its all so true 😆

chojin
    Free Member

Thank god this came up just before the motorcycling season – all this money i’ve wasted on protective leathers, when I could just shave every part of my anatomy and ride, figuratively and quite literally, balls out everywhere, without worry.

swiss01
    Free Member

oh yes, a legs thread. come the apocalypse all that’ll be left is a couple of cockroaches and they’ll be blethering about whether radiation soaked air is better with shaved legs or not. and squabbling about flats/spds. and what tyres….

plus, grayson perry!? top bloke.

yossarian
    Free Member

Where do you stop shaving though? Do you leave “hairy shorts”, and stop just above the grippers or do you go right up to the nutsack (and beyond?)

This is a very good point. Is the sack and crack governed by ‘the rules’?

grum
    Free Member

Some people do different things to you. Get over it.

I really don’t mind if people want to shave their legs at all – it’s just the spurious reasons given that amuse me.

sefton
    Free Member

I’m going to shave my balls to help when massaging 😆

njee20
    Free Member

I’m sorry – get in shower, lather up hands, rub legs – I have NEVER wished it could be easier, and I cannot think of how it could be, and I have extremely hairy legs.

Meh, it’s marginal, but it is easier. Mud doesn’t really stick as much in the first place, and if it does, you finish the race, and clean them with one wet wipe, saves the little bits of mud following you around everywhere.

As above though, no one’s making you do it!

olie
    Free Member

Forget shaving and get them waxed (hot wax).

Much easier (someone does it for you)and quite therapuetic. A pleasure really.

Takes ages for the hair to come back and when it does they are much softer. Beats shaving every few days to keep the stubble away.

Oh and of course its all the way up, no point in keeping “the boys” overly warm and sweaty with a covering of hair!

will
    Free Member

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/humour-leg-shaving-advice-for-cyclists-14792

Brilliant article here, and to be honest explains “why” very well.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘i'm turning roadie’ is closed to new replies.