Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • I'm tired of Goretex and fleece – spec me some tweed
  • DrJ

I have a box full of waterproof breathable wind resistant clobber but it’s really interfering with my enjoyment of being outdoors in the wind and the rain so I have decided to ride in traditional clothing which will help me to be one with the universe.

What tweed jacket should I wear? And can I use hobnails with SPD?

ElShalimo

Look at Ventile clothing

RoterStern
    Free Member

Not sure which jacket but Spencers plus fours for that added northern look.

sands
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6fKuEqCT00[/video]

jambalaya
    Free Member

Musto Technical Tweed

link

ton

joking aside, if this is a joke?
    since the cold weather started I have been riding in moleskin trousers. they have proven to be far warmer, and comfier than any cycling specific trousers I have ever used.

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

On a cold morning I love to combine my grubby old lined technical trousers with a tweed shooting jacket to walk the dog in true cotswolds style (its the uniform round here). On the bike would look nice combined with some trouser clips 😛

Houns

Go for tweed with Goretex

http://harkila.com/classics

I was once shown a series of slides (in a private collection) that showed a group of clubmen making a winter crossing of the Stelvio prior to World War1. Fixed gear drop bar bikes on what was little better than a goat track covered in snow and ice. Standard wear was the Norfolk Jacket, plus scarfs. Seems eminently practical to me.

Houns

(If I could afford them I’d love to try the Torridon breeks from my link)

ton

for most people’s day to day riding, normal clothing is far more suitable than lycra surely?

I hate to see wannabe racers clad in racing kit, pootling to work on a morning.
    they look like ****.

yunki
    Free Member

I mostly ride in my birthday suit.. It’s waterproof, breathable and far more traditional than your Gore-Tex, tweed, animal skins and all the other new fangled technical clobber

shedbrewed
    Free Member

I have a pair of Hoggs tweed plus fours which are fantastic for off road riding through Autumn and into early winter. They don’t get snagged on the brambles and brush off the nettles with ease. Plenty warm enough.
    Hobnails will slip on the pedals.

JEngledow
    Free Member

I mostly ride in my birthday suit..

The only downside is getting the tip of your ‘john-thomas’ caught in the chainring!!

nigew
    Free Member

Roter Stern – Member

Not sure which jacket but Spencers plus fours for that added northern look.
    // shameless plug// Ahem, click my user name! //shameless plug

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Cycling in Norway, 1889. Photo taken by Axel Lindahl.

Don’t know if it’s for me, but I’ll be the first to admit, it looks a lot better than lycra.

OP now needs a moustache and pipe to compliment the tweed jacket 😉

Houns

+1

digga
    Free Member

yunki – Member
    I mostly ride in my birthday suit.. It’s waterproof, breathable and far more traditional than your Gore-Tex, tweed, animal skins and all the other new fangled technical clobber

One rode dressed like party Boy off of on of Jackass for a mates stag do/pub crawl/mtb ride/shambolic blunder. It was a nice day and it did actually feel quite liberating, although I dread to think of the carnage I could have inflicted on myself if I’d fallen off, as the guy dressed a a cow (will real cowbell) did.

sands
    Free Member

I mostly ride in my birthday suit…

The only downside…

The Tweed Steed

rOcKeTdOg

I occasionally ride in a Harris tweed baker boy & bow tie

shedbrewed
    Free Member

nigew – Member
    // shameless plug// Ahem, click my user name! //shameless plug

Book marked for reference!

hot_fiat

Ventile is great, until it becomes wet. It’ll remain waterproof, but it goes so rigid that I can take my ventile jacket off and it’ll continue to assume the shape of my body like some sort of mannequin.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘I'm tired of Goretex and fleece – spec me some tweed’ is closed to new replies.