Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • I'm thinking of buying a 1970s Omega LCD watch – please tell me not to
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

Something like this:

I love watches and have quite a varied collection but I am missing something in this category.

This type of watch, in good condition commands between £400 and £900.

This is silly money isn’t it? I mean it’s just a quartz digital watch
    module inside a case that has the Omega logo. There’s no beautifully engineered, bejewelled automatic movement. No captivating arrangement of hands, batons and signatures under sapphire crystal glass.

It’s just a solid-state circuit in a case. Surely no better than the stuff coming out of the Orient in this era. Are the electronics better made, better designed? Is the quartz crystal of a higher grade? Is the LCD display of better quality, less likely to lose segments over time?

Your thoughts are most welcome.

My finger is hovering over the BUY button…

tthew

It’s only money. Just do it.

Drac

Each to their own but I’d say there’s nicing ooking vintage watches. How modest is your house?

chilled76
    Free Member

Don’t do it, buy a classis casio one instead. My wealthiest friend wears one as a statement.

finbar
    Free Member

I think it’s a terrible idea.

But only because the ones with red LEDs are much cooler 8)

jamiep
    Free Member

Silly money. £9 bombers’ favourite would be my preference

bencooper
    Free Member

You don’t want one of them, you want one of these:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/3HeBoD]Hewlett Packard HP-01[/url] by Ben Cooper, on Flickr

Occasionally, when I’m feeling flush, I buy it a set of the special batteries – with occasional use they last a week, maybe 10 days 😉

RustySpanner

Oh God, that gold Omega LED…
    Our music teacher in Junior School had one, instant hero.

I now have a Fitbit, which shows you the time if you press a button.
    Progress, eh?

Not keen on that first one Derek, tbh.

Classic G Shock?
    Timex did some cracking older digitals too.

Have a few retro Casio’s and they really are nice things.
    Cheap too.
    The resin straps break after about 18 months if you take them on and off every day, but I love ’em.

derek_starship
    Free Member

or this:

bearnecessities

Nicer than the first, but still doesn’t touch that red led one. Makes me think of battlestar galactica for some reason..

Wally

I have just returned from Swiss Time Services in Essex – Omega’s official UK service company. They had a display cabinet with three of these in.

All NOS and all the three colours. Plus several other goodies. I looked through the two enormous Omega catalogues and found my old piece.

I am getting my 1962 Seamaster hands relumed and four tiny pips on dial done. The lume has totally fallen out of the hands.
    They are lovely to deal with. Wally here turned up at 8.20am 22nd December, got through several secure doors and met with a head service guy and he was an absolute delight to deal with. I was impressed with personal treatment, quick assessment and agreement of what not to do with an old original piece and what would be a good idea, price of £60 all in was ace and there was no up selling. It’s a big set up and they have a very good reputation. They also check your watch is legit and not a Franken watch, all my numbers matched up and I now have a watch reference number from Omega, which is nice. Might post up results.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’d buy the Red LED one! How cool is that!

sofaking
    Free Member

how a bout a nice nixon dork instead
    it talks to you, but eats batteries

sbob
    Free Member

I can make you up a T shirt that says “Hipster bell-whiff” for only a tenner if you’re struggling to get the message across. 🙂

gobuchul
    Free Member

bencooper – really like that HP. But they go for stupid money on Ebay! Did you pay thousands or was it a bargain?

ctk
    Free Member

OP go for a classic Seiko digital.

EDIT: like thisebay auction

ctk
    Free Member

Bolx just go for it OP!

bencooper
    Free Member

bencooper – really like that HP. But they go for stupid money on Ebay! Did you pay thousands or was it a bargain?

I think I paid about £250 – it’s not got the box or any fancy stuff, that probably brings the value down a lot.

gauss1777
    Free Member

Op: not for me I’m sorry. Omega make some great watches, but that is not one of them. The Casio’s are much nicer, Seiko too.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Do it! I have 3 LCD Omegas, a LED Omega Time Computer, which I’m wearing now, and various other electronic Omegas from the 70s.

woffle
    Free Member

If I was going down this route it’d be the Montreal 1976 Chrono-quartz. Bit more spendy though:

richmars

As a big fan of HP calculators I love that HP watch. Does it use RPN?
    Edit, maybe not as there’s an = button. Shame.

DickBarton

Sounds like you have too much time on your hands! Don’t do it/Do it.

Atomizer

Not sure how much those HP watch calculators actually sell for but listings are always high.
    Richmars – what HP calculators have you got?

zippykona

I really don’t get this watch thing but obviously lots of people do.
    My friend is one of you lot he’s just spent a fortune on a , watch with black hands and a black face.
    I have no idea what it is and you can’t tell the time on it.

bencooper
    Free Member

As a big fan of HP calculators I love that HP watch. Does it use RPN?
    Edit, maybe not as there’s an = button. Shame.

It’s not RPN, but it can take the time or date as an input – it can do calculations ON TIME ITSELF!

http://www.hpmuseum.org/hp01.htm

richmars

Atomizer,
    I worked all summer so I could buy a HP41 (when I was at school), which I still have, but doesn’t work. A few more recent, smaller ones, and HP48 and 50.

Atomizer

RIchmars – good choice! I’m trying to find a 42S. Becoming a bit of a collector which is worrying – got 15 so far…

richmars

RIchmars – good choice! I’m trying to find a 42S. Becoming a bit of a collector which is worrying – got 15 so far…

I’ve got one, now none working. I think it was one of my favourites, not too big but did everything you needed.

Atomizer

Richmars – will PM you.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Stop with all this talk of calculators! 😉

UPDATE

Well I’ve made a purchase.

Not Omega but still Swiss LCD from the late 70s.

I give you the Certina Chronolympic DS:

[IMGhttp://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2177/2940886/8021155/413711434.jpg%5B/IMG%5D

CountZero

I’ve got one of the Seiko digital watches, but it’s no longer working, despite having a new battery fitted. It hadn’t been used for years, so I reckon the module has gon on the fritz. Shame, it’s a nice watch, but I think it would cost too much to fix.
    I had my Yema mainspring done, cost £450, but it’s worth over £1000 now, so worth having done, I doubt a digital Seiko would ever be worth fixing.

doggycam
    Free Member

I went through a watch collecting phase, but it was vintage divers watches with mechanical movements.
    Personally I’m not into electric watches,but each to there own.
    A mechanical watch can always be repaired and tends to increase in value.
    I don’t know enough about digital watches, but suspect they dont.

Certain people think I am crazy to own a watch or two that cost thousands.
    But I dont wear jewelry and appreciate the crafmanship of the wee machine purring away on my wrist, barely losing seconds a week.

So, if you like it, and can afford it, buy it !!

Plus a good mechanical watch is an heirloom, I’ve got my dads Rolex, which is older than me (54) and with the odd service still keeps great time and I always feel special wearing it 🙂

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘I'm thinking of buying a 1970s Omega LCD watch – please tell me not to’ is closed to new replies.