Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • I'm sure it's been said before
  • Elfinsafety
    Free Member

the brand is great

then:

I am not trying to tell anyone to like it though, I am merely stating why I like it.

A climbdown??? An admission, perhaps, that Elfin is right?

M’Lud, I rest my case….

Junkyard
    Free Member

An admission, perhaps, that Elfin is right?

M_F IME it is easier to agree with the angry Hobbit than continue to debate 😉
    I dont think that is what he really said now is it.

clubber
    Free Member

The branding is crap because unfortunately the logo is so crap that people connect it directly to all the non-logo branding though you could argue that it’s good from the pov that people see it and think of 2012 except that the logo has made that counterproductive. It’s a classic case of marketing being done for the approval of the stupid section of the marketing industry who forget what the purpose of their job actually is and who no doubt slag off normal people for ‘not getting it’

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yes you are correct Fred – I really must get my sense of opinion fixed.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

It’s not just me, MF; it’s the vast majority of people Worldwide. There are children in Polynesian islands who wake up crying because the London Lympics branding is so bad. 🙁

It’s a classic case of marketing being done for the approval of the stupid section of the marketing industry who forget what the purpose of their job actually is and who no doubt slag off normal people for ‘not getting it’

This, to me, sums up the root of the problem. I’ve no doubt bribes were paid so that this branding could be used. There’s all sorts of subterfuge and dodgy dealing with the Lympics anyway.

It’s a shame. We could at least have had a nice logo and brand, some nice commemorative tea-towls, fridge magnets and that, take out minds off what an unmitigated financial disaster the games were, but no. We’re left with nothing. 😥

‘Lasting Legacy’ my arse. Lord Coe will be the first to have 3 tides wash over him, once I’m in charge….

clubber
    Free Member

I doubt there were bribes, just people signing off the logo proposal who were stupid or just couldn’t admit that they didn’t agree with or get it but didn’t want to look out of touch.

retro83
    Free Member

I preferred the Goatse version which somebody managed to get onto the BBC website:

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

What I do like about it is that it hasn’t TRIED to tell us it is in London and there will be medals and runners and stuff – everyone knows that already.

I suppose we could have had a logo of someone running in Pearly Queen clothing whilst jumping over the Tower Bridge just in case we needed reminding.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Oh don’t be so silly, Winegums; is that the limit of your imagination when it comes to London?

Those splodges look like they took 5 minutes to do in MS Paint. Which is probbly your favourite programme so ner. 😛

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I genuinely want this. I mean, I know it’s culturally insensitive, but I want it.

And here’s one with all it’s fur tooken off. What a frightening thing it is. No wonder Emma is disturbed. 😯

clubber
    Free Member

What I do like about it is that it hasn’t TRIED to tell us it is in London and there will be medals and runners and stuff – everyone knows that already.

That is stupid marketing talk. Thanks for providing an example.

IanMunro
    Free Member

There are children in Polynesian islands who wake up crying because the London Lympics branding is so bad
    🙂

Admiralable
    Free Member

I see it now 🙂 Talk about slow!!!!! FFS!!!

emma82
    Free Member

Well done admiralable. Didn’t think my Lisa Simpson giving a blowie moan would spark so much conversation. Most bestest thing I can still think to say is it’s shit. as for furby’s-skinning them doesn’t stop them. I believe some have tried a microwave but still I think they survive. They are spawn of the devil.

CountZero

I’ve worked in print and design for nearly forty years, and, while I don’t really consider myself a designer, I know good design when I see it. And I certainly don’t see it in the Lunnun 2012 ‘Lympic logo. It sucks. As Lisa’s doing to Bart. The whole thing is just an immense embarrassment. The type design created for it is hideous, and has no redeeming features at all. Everything looks like an office junior sat down with a few sheets of graph paper and a set of felt markers. And to think we have some of the most creative design houses going in the UK. Shameful.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

It is shameful. And it’s a very interesting thread, Emma. Not least because it’s introduced me (and possibly others) to the strange world of Furbies.

As for design; I’m just lowly small-fry compared some of the big design companies out there, but I love what I do, and have belief and pride in my own abilities. If that abomination really is the best a well-repected company like Wolff-Olins can come up with, then I despair, I really do.

It’s seriously bad, and an abject failure. Even Winegums can’t come up with owt to justify or defend it.

An example of good branding is Apple Computer. The iMac product range was the beginning of one of the most successful branding campaigns in recent times. An Apple product is instantly recognisable, distinct from it’s competition, and there is a perception of quality and reliability about Apple stuff. The brand and logo has even become fashionable.

The London 2012 logo is the antithesis of good brand design. Supposedly designed to appeal to ‘young people’, it fails spectacularly on every level. A mate of mine was working with a youth project in east London, and some of the Lympic promotion bods came down to do some photo propaganda type stuff. The bought loads of t-shirts to give to the kids, to wear in the photos/

All the kids refused to wear them, because they were ‘well butters’ (crap). Says it all, really. 🙄

Sandwich

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘I'm sure it's been said before’ is closed to new replies.