• This topic has 27 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by ton.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • I'm starting to feel old
  • oldgit
    Free Member

😥 Had to happen at some point I guess.
    Started to notice that guys in their 20s 30s and 40s just seem naturally quicker, well in the first few hours anyway.
    Spent Spring and early summer hanging on just to finish in the bunch. Any attempt to get on any break aways soon saw me spat out the back racing for my dignity.
    XC racing wasn’t any better. Faired okay in the dry, but was scared ****less in the wet.
    Now I’ve got to jump into my cross season after missing four events, that’ll be fun.
    Met a guy last week. Turned out I knew him for testing in the seventies, he was Pete Wells 2 up man and RTTC Champion. He seemed to have the idea, every ride was sport to him, but he didn’t feel the need to actually compete anymore.
    Anyone else slowing down?
    That said I’ve adopted the very old and highly scientific approach to keeping fit i.e one monster road ride per week and a short two hour super fast off road once a week.
    Still a bit shocked about having to work to keep up with the young’uns in the club.
    I feel the sound of long socks and SPD sandals approaching.

ton

last night, i was sat thinking ‘oldgit hasn’t been on for a while’ seriously.
    hope you are feeling ok mate.

touring is nice when you get a bit older, more cafe stops the better too.

molgrips
    Free Member

Get a coach. It’ll give you an edge to replace that which you’ve lost through age 🙂

I feel old, I’m only 35. I can’t flog myself as I used to, although paradoxically I am a better rider. I’ve found that I’ve been gaining muscle steadily over the years tho, which makes the 70kg or so I used to weigh seem as distant as the 20 years of age I was when I weighed it 🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

Well I got squashed by that big pallet last month, luckily my bikes still fit 😕
    And I was thinking about trading in all my MTB stuff to put towards a Hetchins.
    I have thought about touring to be honest, but I think Audax might be the next natural step for me.
    As for racing, I just can’t get fast in the first hour. So I’ve lost before they’ve even started.

molgrips
    Free Member

24 hour solo then 🙂

ton

mate,audax is fun.
    and with a solid road background like you have, you can still go for it.
    1st to the cafe/checkpoint and such………. 😉

oldgit
    Free Member

24 hour solo then

Done nine of those already, rained every time. Last one I did I heard the pitter patter of rain on the tent before the start and nearly went home right there and then.

molgrips
    Free Member

I just searched for Hetchins – my God, what awful things. Now I feel really young again – thanks 🙂

marsdenman
    Free Member

for my dignity

i promise not too wear

long socks and SPD sandals

at the same time……

Sorry – could not resist…. 😉
    As I have seen you leading the young folk up the Q’s, on a single speed, as this fat forty something fool blobbed down, I can honestly say I really hope I can get my act together enough to be even a small percent of the rider I perceive you to be (not been…)…

molgrips
    Free Member

Last one I did I heard the pitter patter of rain on the tent before the start and nearly went home right there and then

Lol 🙂 I know exactly what you mean 🙂

How about the Tour Divide, 2011 or 2012 – see you there?

oldgit
    Free Member

Palestine.

oldgit
    Free Member

marsdenman, you keep saying that. I don’t think I’ve ever been to the Quantocks.?

molgrips
    Free Member

Palestine?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Well, yeah it gets a bit slower (60th year here) but ferk it. I still do 6-7 hour day missions, go downhill as fast as I dare and get home in time for tea.

Just, as they say, do it…

oldgit
    Free Member

I can’t spell philistine.

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh I see 🙂

Cor, Woppit is 60? Well I never.

marsdenman
    Free Member

I don’t think I’ve ever been to the Quantocks

senile as well as overweight then – my apologies – i’ve been the once, made a fool of myself and it appears, I’ve just done the same again…
    Sorry!

pegglet
    Free Member

Wow,you met Pete wells! my absolute hero,he got me to try fixed when i was teenage tester and i never went back to gears again. You havnt met King Alf yet have you? Ah, the wonderful days off banging up and down Boro’ Q25/3, T254 etc ….

Cougar

I feel old, I’m only 35.

I’m 38. I was was worried about being old when I was 35. Also, at 30, 27, 21, 18, 16…

I’ve been accused of being in my second childhood. That can’t be right – I’m still enjoying my first.

Bottom line is, I’ve been waiting to be “old” since I was a teenager. I don’t bounce as well as I used to, I’m not as fast as I used to be, I ache a bit more than I’d care to admit, but… I’m damned, absolutely damned if I’m going to stop until they put me in the floor.

You’re as old as you think you are. Get on with it.

molgrips
    Free Member

You’re as old as you think you are. Get on with it

Sadly not. You eventually die.

oldgit
    Free Member

pegglet, it was Pete Wells 2 Up man. I do remember Pete Wells on his Stan Pike? Alf Engers was reasonably local, Shorters was just up the road. The main stars of testing that overtook me on a regular basis were Phil Griffiths, Eddie Adkins, Bob Addy, John Woodburn and Alf Engers. Occasionally Sean Yates and later on a young Jeremy Hunt.

Cougar

Sadly not. You eventually die.

So why waste time in the intrim?

molgrips
    Free Member

Trying not to 🙂

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Audax you say. Ready for a bit of proper racing now then. 😀

scotbike
    Free Member

og: ‘Age and treachery will overcome youth and skill’ Fausto Coppi, quoting a proverb.

You mean to say he was wrong? 😕

oldgit
    Free Member

And just to push it home, I slipped in the bath last night.

elaineanne
    Free Member

well im 44 and my 23 year old son expects me to keep up with him (off track)…..lol these ruddy hills seem to get longer and steeper ! lol 😉

ton

i feel about 80 today………..chest infection, headache, bent seatpost, foul mood…………. 😆

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘I'm starting to feel old’ is closed to new replies.