Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • I'm roosting too easily and it's annoying. Help.
  • manlikegregonabike
    Free Member

So I have tried multiple tyre pressures and i’m still loosing traction too easily. I would say i’m above average with speed and have recently been getting some top tens on strava, I may just be hitting corners too fast but this just doesn’t seem correct. Do you know how I can reduce it?

LAT

Fit a slippy front tyre.

matt_outandabout

Slow down?

manlikegregonabike
    Free Member

Won’t I just veer off sideways into the unknown? For context i’m running a Magic Mary front, Hansdamf rear.

jam-bo

Hang around here for a bit. Actually riding a bike will become a distant memory.

manlikegregonabike
    Free Member

Oh yeah, should we start a pointless debate over 29ers?

alpin
    Free Member

The shittiest self gnaradisement ever.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Be less awesome (let’s not kid ourselves….you ARE awesome)

scaredypants

Don’t do your shredding on brown-pow, bro ?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Be M.O.A.R awesome..

I want some 1-1 lessons..

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

I would say i’m above average with speed and have recently been getting some top tens on strava

Rorschach
    Free Member

Dunner be daft Bouy…he can’t be more awesomes.TOP 10s ON THE STRAVA!!!

manlikegregonabike
    Free Member

I knew this would happen LOL. Basically how can I get more rear grip.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I use these.

Now..

About those lessons..

joebristol

Put a better back tyre on?

Magic Mary is very grippy – stick on a Maxxis dhr2 in 3c compound.

Unless you’ve got the bad compound of rubber on the hans dampf – if so fit the grippier one.

manlikegregonabike
    Free Member

I have the trail star but it is probably best to put on a DHR or MMary.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Fit a better rear tyre. Hans dampfs have mediocre corner grip. high roller or something. and learn to be more modest so you don’t sound like a tit.

joebristol

Magic Mary at both ends could be very draggy.

If you’re worried about matching logos how does the stickiest compound of nobby nic compare to the hans dampf?

If not I’d go dhr2 I think. I may be biased though as I have dhf / dhr2 as my front / rear combination.

manlikegregonabike
    Free Member

I’ll be honest I sounded like an absolute tit and didn’t think what it looked like until it was too late. Thought it would be a bit of fun. I was trying to add some context but it backed fired. I never go out of my way to boost my self for attention and think people are dicks for doing it but I’ll be more careful what I say as that was a twaty comment. Sorry.

Regarding tyres, I wanted a nobby nic before but they sold out in 29 so settled for the Hans Dampf, but puncture resistance isn’t great so I may try Maxxis for that as well. Has anyone tried the DHR2 on the front?

joebristol

On my 27.5 I’ve tried a dhr2 on the front. Didn’t like it – it’s goes from gripping well to completely wiping out in a flash. My new dhf is much more predictable (albeit I’m comparing a 2.3 dhr2 to a 2.5wt dhf) both in the same compound.

Something to do with the long middle blocks on the dhr2 I think.

Dhr2 is meant to be better under braking than dhf, but with dhr2 on the back and dhf on the front it’s great.

With a magic Mary on the front you ought to be ok with a dhr2 on the back.

manlikegregonabike
    Free Member

Ah okay, what about a shorty on the front? I had the DHF before and it was a great tyre but never shed mud that well.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Simple answer? Technique.
    As some have said the HD might not be the best tyre but you need to keep the right amount of weight on it to hold, or look for something to corner against.
    Is your suspension working right too? If the back is skipping over the ground it’s never going to grip well.

rOcKeTdOg

Better technique, roosting looks great on video but the old techniques work. Carry as much speed into the corner, do all your braking before it. Push your bike into the curve outside leg straight inside leg bent then power out having selected an appropriate gear before hand.

Guaranteed top 5 strava times

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

You’re a tyre brand tart, there’s no hope for you…

iainc

Roosting ……. are you a chicken ? 😀

manlikegregonabike
    Free Member

I’m getting ‘roasted’

Technique wise i’m pretty comfortable and try my best never to break in the corner and break before hand, I may just be pushing through too much. My suspension is quite fast so that is probably pushing out aswell. But my CTD shock has really crap asjustment 1 click either way and it is toooo fast or slow. Ill try breaking more and droping my leg more.

A more aggresaive tyre should help on the back, it could just be British slop.

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Your ego’s writing cheques your tyres can’t cash, try flying plastic dogsh1t out of Hong Kong

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Technique wise i’m pretty comfortable

If you want to get to the bottom of it then are you dropping time in the corners or on the straight bits – there are some strava tools that show you that part, some corners have a top speed at times unless your Sam Hill.
    I ran CTD’s for a while and I don’t remember such extreme changes in rebound speed with 1 click, when was it last serviced?

manlikegregonabike
    Free Member

I bought the frame second hand so i don’t know and should probably service it. I’m running it 4 clicks from fully slow and is still pretty fast but once I go a click slower it is just dead and you can feel it pack up. Maybe a different tune or some volume spacers could help.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sounds like a service wouldn’t be bad idea then.

P-Jay
    Free Member

My advice would be to ease your entry speed and see if it gives you more exit speed. Smooth is usually faster than loose, not as much fun though 😉

P-Jay
    Free Member

My advice would be to ease your entry speed and see if it gives you more exit speed. Smooth is usually faster than loose, not as much fun though 😉

manlikegregonabike
    Free Member

Ok haha
    So: be smooth, rear shock service, don’t worry about mismatched tyres and don’t be a dick.

mehr
    Free Member

Strava, the true mark of a modern mountain biker

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Strava hating, the true mark of a modern mountain biker, that doesn’t actually mountain bike, just talks shit on the internet instead.

FTFY

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Roosting?

I genuinely thought this thread was about you nodding off to sleep!

WTF is roosting? (I bet It’s another word that someone’s made up to replace another word)

lycanthropefailed
    Free Member

Dumb comment alert ! Are all your spokes tight ? 😳

manlikegregonabike
    Free Member

Yeas buy they are bladed… should of said that. Probably why the wheel is deflecting a lot.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Not really essel been around a long time

Never heard the phrase, but I’m not ‘gnarr’ ya naa!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘I'm roosting too easily and it's annoying. Help.’ is closed to new replies.