Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • I'm riding my bike again.
  • 16stonepig
    Free Member

It’s good. I am happy about it.

I had to stop for a while. The doctors kept throwing around words like “chronic fatigue” and “blood tests” and, in one infuriating case, “perhaps it could be mental”. That one annoyed me. Anyway, I digress.

I moved to a large town in Surrey in 2013 in order to spend more time riding bikes, and quickly found myself unable to, due to being in both pain and tears for weeks after every ride. I did not even touch a bicycle for the entirety of 2016. I started to wonder what I was for, if it wasn’t for being out in the hills enjoying myself. I simply didn’t know how to define myself with mountain biking not in my life.

This year, since early spring, I have been managing to ride again. Practically every weekend. I’ve even been away to FoD for a riotous uplift day.
    I discovered early this year that I suffer from a couple of genetic mutations related to the folate cycle, which mean that at a very low level, my cells just don’t work effectively. And I’m especially unlucky to have two (Actually several more than that, but there are two major ones). Just one would be unfortunate but manageable. These two interact together to royally **** me up. Looking back, I’ve been slowing down and getting less healthy for at least 10 years. I could never understand how people could ride for 2 days in a row – convincing myself that I just needed to get fitter. That was an error.

But now, with a careful mix of pacing myself, good recovery, several very focused vitamin supplements, and a heavy helping of realism and acceptance, I am riding my bike again. It really is amazing. It makes me happy, it relaxes me, and it gives me something by which to define myself. The first ride I did in March this year was 8km long. I did about 150m of climbing. I was exhausted. But when I got back home, it was like an enormous weight had been lifted from me. I felt physically lighter. These days I manage about 20km with upwards of 600m of climbing. I have to give myself a week to recover, but it’s worth it.

So, in short. Bikes are good. Not riding them made me sad. Now I am, if not completely recovered, at least happier.

wwaswas

Well done!

Bikes *are* ace – FACT 🙂

qtip

Always good to read a good news story. I can’t help but think that you may be one of the few cases where the solution could genuinely be an e-bike.

SaxonRider

Well done indeed! Keep it up. It won’t always feel exactly the way it does now, but that’s alright. Just don’t be too hard on your self and give up.

And come on here often to stay motivated*.

*Among other things.

16stonepig
    Free Member

Always good to read a good news story. I can’t help but think that you may be one of the few cases where the solution could genuinely be an e-bike.

I am aware that ebikes exist, but I am still in just enough denial. It doesn’t feel enough like the hobby that I love and have been involved with for so many years. Perhaps one day I’ll give in, but it won’t be soon.

qtip

Good on you. I think I’d have the same thoughts if I were in a similar position. I guess it depends on whether the main focus for you is enjoying the sport as you’ve always known it, even if that has to be in limited quantities, or just getting out there as much as possible.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Nice feel good Friday thread, enjoy riding again! 8)

tootallpaul

Welcome back sir. 🙂

TiRed

Bikes keep me sane. And when I couldn’t ride a bike, I rode a trike. And when I won’t be able to ride the trike, I’ll ride an E-trike.

Congratulations. All riding is good.

Andy

Good to hear you are back on the bike 16stonepig. Would be good to hook up for a ride sometime 😀

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Well done.

shermer75
    Free Member

Good work! A genuinely heart-warming story. Thanks for posting! 🙂

leeerm
    Free Member

What an uplifting post! If you’re ever up in the Lakes, Wheelbase hire out e-bikes, it might make a good introduction, especially if you are understandably sceptical. They compliment a proper bike well, especially if you aren’t at 100%.

16stonepig
    Free Member

Andy – Member
    Good to hear you are back on the bike 16stonepig. Would be good to hook up for a ride sometime

Gladly, although it may not be the entire Tour Divide. Happy to have you over for a short sprint around the cheeky trails of the North Downs though.

scud
    Free Member

Good to hear you’re back in the saddle mate, one day we’ll go to the Alps again (Paul W)??

If you ever fancy a slower pace of riding, come visit in Norfolk

Suffered similar symptoms by basically riding myself in to the ground last year giving myself a form of depression where i felt alright mentally except i would snap temper wise easily, but i just felt so tired all the time to the point i couldn’t function. But its amazing how a bit of fresh air and just the smallest bit of exercise can help kick it

16stonepig
    Free Member

scud – Member
    Good to hear you’re back in the saddle mate, one day we’ll go to the Alps again

On my list for next year! The Alps that is. Norfolk hasn’t been inked in yet.

LittleNose
    Free Member

Always very cool to hear of folk getting back on their bikes after having an enforced break.
    Enjoy the rides, and if I see you out in the Surrey Hills, then the (first) pork and leek slice is on me 😉

jambalaya
    Free Member

Well done. I have so far ridden 40k in 2017, probably less if I am honest. So I have a small flavour of what you’ve been through.

genetic mutations related to the folate cycle

So it’s a bike related oddity, a bit like the obsession with wheel sizes ? IGMC

theotherjonv

Andy – Member
    Good to hear you are back on the bike 16stonepig. Would be good to hook up for a ride sometime

16stonepig – Member
    Gladly, although it may not be the entire Tour Divide. Happy to have you over for a short sprint around the cheeky trails of the North Downs though.

Count me in for that. I too have been battling issues, but sounds minor in comparison, but consequently I can do slow, with a cake and coffee stop thrown in as happily as I used to do big days out. Nice to see you back!

tdog
    Free Member

Out of interest, what’s your age OP as I feel and am at the stage you were at I believe.

But I also believe in a way forward and dream about riding for full days then repeating next day without it feeling the effects if fatigue.
    I if anything know what I need to do and as it’s a want to too, shouldn’t be too much of an ask.

Bikes/birds and the want to ride more 😛 and become healthy both mentally and physically are only thing that’s kept me alive for years now.

theotherjonv

if I see you out in the Surrey Hills, then the (first) pork and leek slice is on me

If you can get to Coldharbour, the hot sausage rolls in the cafe shop by the Plough are of ‘at least’ equal standing.

cjr61

Brilliant you’re back riding…..Bikes are awesome.

hambl90
    Free Member

Well done , keep up the good work.

matt_outandabout

Well done that man… Pics and smiles please…

fossy

Well done. At least you can manage the ‘problems’ now and still ride. Similar here, driver broke my spine just under two years ago whilst cycling to work. Used to do 500 miles and more a month – now that’s in a year – it’s all off road now, so is at least twice as hard as road miles. I ride once or twice a week – more and my back gives up. I can usually manage about 90 minutes, but I’m in pain from about 30 minutes.

Once the claim is sorted, my plan is a top end MTB, and trips away on it. I have 3 road bikes gathering dust (one on a turbo). I had one old classic MTB so about 6 months after my accident I picked up a Boardman FS Pro for a grand to keep me going until I get something better.

Keep riding, and never stop. It’s good for the soul.

chakaping
    Free Member

*fist bump*

Not ridden since Sunday and feel miserable today.

Can’t wait to get out tomorrow afternoon.

scaredypants

*Like*
    *Share*

🙁 can’t do anything any more

Wait – reported !!

16stonepig
    Free Member

tdog – Member
    Out of interest, what’s your age OP as I feel and am at the stage you were at I believe.

Let’s say mid-thirties. It had been a slow, subtle decline which only became obvious when I compared today me with 21-year-old me.

weeksy

I don’t know you and haven’t seen you before, but it’s a REALLY nice story and made me smile lots 🙂

Keep it up !

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘I'm riding my bike again.’ is closed to new replies.