Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Im Rich!!!!!!!
  • cloudnine
    Free Member

Although it doesnt really feel like it..

http://www.globalrichlist.com/

Bregante

Top 0.29%

So I can have that winter bike after all 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

Indeed we all are living in such a wealthy country.

MSP

We are also living in an expensive country.

It should also be pointed out that earnings do not equate directly to wealth, there was a much more interesting comparison done (i think) by the BBC a couple of years ago which also included assets and debt, which certainly moved myself considerably down the scale.

kayak23

Top 3.57%
    Can you lend us a tenner Bregante?

bigG
    Free Member

Top .26%, move over peasants I’m away to buy something unnecessary made of carbon.

Solo
    Free Member

Congratulations, OP.
    😉

Listening to R4 business news this morning. It was interesting to hear comments about how we’re seeing a growing UK economy, while ‘the workers‘ suffer almost zero wage increases. So the presenter put it to the guest that Companies are pocketing the profits or distributing to share holders, etc, as apllicable.

This gave rise to chat about Companies no having to pay more to recruit on the basis that there’s more than enough folk to do the work.

Pick the legumes out of that !

gazc
    Free Member

i’m the 58,735,361st richest person on earth by income

whooooooooooooooooooooop whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bregante

Sorry kayak. Try BigG, I hear he’s considerably richer than what I am. 🙂

hot_fiat

😳

gonefishin
    Free Member

Anyone who lives in the UK and is surprised by how far up the global wealth chart they are needs to travel more.

Bregante

What and spend all my lovely money? Not bloody likely!

Pook

Top .11%

Is that good?

leffeboy

That is a brilliant piece of marketing. Applauds.

peterfile
    Free Member

Anyone who lives in the UK and is surprised by how far up the global wealth chart they are needs to travel more.

+1

Had an interesting conversation with a pretty successful Vietnamese guy who ran a motorbike guiding company for westerners. We were chatting about his pricing and the fact that he tries to reflect what people would be prepared to pay, rather than what they expect to pay. He said he’d tried a few different models over the years and eventually found that despite being twice as expensive as his local competitors, many westerners took the higher price to mean much better quality, so usually chose him over his competitors. He found this funny. We then started talking about western salary and taxation. He had to get me to write down average salaries for jobs on a piece of paper because he thought he was misunderstanding what I was saying. Cost of living aside, he couldn’t get his head round the fact that people have so much money left over to spend on things like travel, entertainment and other luxuries. Almost everyone I met in rural parts of Vietnam lived hand to mouth. Despite how much people whinge about life in the UK, we have no idea how the rest of the world lives. So, so many people barely surviving and we moan about the cost of confectionery at the cinema.

andytherocketeer

not clicked the link yet, but what currency is it based in, and how does it factor assets vs income?
    half my assets are in GBP which over a few years was devalued by 25-30%, except they called it quantitative easing, but my salary is in EUR which even at a 0% annual increase would look like a rather significant payrise in UK/GBP terms, especially given pay freezes in the knackered economy.
    I expect the number to be total BS.

peterfile
    Free Member

andy, rather than moaning about something without having even clicked on the link…you could always click on the link and read it? 🙂

It’s designed to highlight poverty in the developing world.

How do you calculate all of this?

We’ve offered two possible rankings – by income and by wealth. This requires a slightly different approach for each track; we’ve also tried to achieve the right balance between usability and rigour.

For the income track, we’ve used the most recent (2008) statistics from the World Bank, based on household surveys. Here we rank you against the entire world population at the time of the surveys, estimated at 6.69 billion people.

For the wealth track, we’ve primarily relied on 2012 estimates from Credit Suisse, who have focussed on the adult population of the world, estimated as 4.59 billion people.

For currency conversion we use Purchasing Power Parity Dollars (PPP$) in order to take into account the difference in cost of living between countries; PPP$ are also less susceptible to short term fluctuations.

After calculating the distribution of wealth or income, we then use a statistical model to estimate your rank.

Notes on calculated statistics

For the Malaria net statistic, we used GiveWell.org – this is fully costed and takes into account administrative costs.

For international salaries, we used the Occupational Wages around the World (OWW) Database, based on data collected by the ILO, a UN agency.

We estimated the price of a 330ml can of premium-brand cola to be 0.75 USD (PPP$ take care of the rest).

We took the cost of feeding a family of four a very basic diet to be $60 per month. This statistic came from the World Food Programme (a UN agency), although there is little supporting information connected with this data point.

For working time statistics, we assume people work 1,920 hours a year (40 hours a week, 48 weeks a year). For the iPhone-only statistic (sorry Android fans), we assume you work 8 hours a day.

gonefishin
    Free Member

not clicked the link yet, but what currency is it based in, and how does it factor assets vs income?
    half my assets are in GBP which over a few years was devalued by 25-30%, except they called it quantitative easing, but my salary is in EUR which even at a 0% annual increase would look like a rather significant payrise in UK/GBP terms, especially given pay freezes in the knackered economy.
    I expect the number to be total BS.

Well you could always try clicking the link to find the answers to most these questions.

It’s not meant to be a definitive answer to the questions “how rich am I?” it’s more of a reality check that demostrates just how lucky we are to be living a wealthy prosperous country.

andytherocketeer

might click it when I get home.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Just crept into the top 10%, Pook, are you a church mouse?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Im Rich!!!!!!!’ is closed to new replies.