Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • I'm realy sorry but "What 29er tyre?"
  • JohnClimber
    Free Member

I’ve ridden on the folowing 29ers
    Maxxis CrossMark’s
    WTB Weirwolf LT’s
    Racing Ralphs
    Nobby Nicks
    Maxxis Aspen
    WTB Exiwolf’s

But for my full susser all day in the hills bike where rolling resistance isn’t as important as grip on rocks, all weather use, mud I’m looking for something with good side knobs to help my crap cornering skills maybe like the Maxxis Ignitors in approx 2.2″ wide and also a tough tubeless form (not ghetto).

Sorry for asking but links to availability where you’ve seen them for sale in the UK would be helpful as well please.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Doh just posted and found these
    http://www.justridingalong.com//shop.php?product=96

Is there anything wider that the collective would recommend?

pedalhead
    Free Member

I’ve been quite impressed with the Ignitor EXO I’ve had on the front of my 29er for a while. Reasonably fast rolling & grippy enough. One of the few tyres that’s held up against the Chilterns flint.

tazzymtb

ardents are very good in the 2.25 and 2.4 form (which is massive!)

tang
    Free Member

ardents? or panaracer rampage might be worth a look, i did run them in a 26 guise a few years back.

hugor
    Free Member

WTB Stouts 2.3. Not fast but as grippy as it gets on wet rocks and pretty much anything else.
    They do wear quickly though but thats the trade off for good grip.
    Personally I found the Ignitors too thin, but if they made a 2.3 or above I’d be on to them in an instant.

chiefgrooveguru

Whilst looking for info on the (excellent) Bontrager XR4 I found quite a few favourable reviews of the 29-4.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

chiefgrooveguru – Member
    Whilst looking for info on the (excellent) Bontrager XR4 I found quite a few favourable reviews of the 29-4.

I forgot to note down the current tyres that need replacing are Bontrager 29-3’s which I feel are just too thin and not as grippy in the corners.

collie
    Free Member

+1 for 29-4s. Heavy but lots of grip and nice and robust.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

collie – Member
    +1 for 29-4s. Heavy but lots of grip and nice and robust.

How wide are they?

Are they Tubeless ready?

Are they over here in the uk?

big_scot_nanny

I use Conti MKs in the gloop, but Ardent 2.4s are my faves for absolutely everything else. tried racing ralphs again at the weekend in a dusty race (I was waaaaaay over biked on the ventana!), after using them also last summer, and I really don’t like them. Light, yes, but far too sketchy.

I’m using the ardents for passportes as I think they will be good for that also.

HTH

Kev

ton

bontrager fr3 29r.

collie
    Free Member

2.3 wide and big with it
    Yes
    Yes

tazzymtb

the FR3 is like strapping a tractor tyre to your bike. It’s heavy (800g ish for the team version) but monster traction and with a TLR casing

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Thanks for the help.

Any more choice out there?

Clink

Second the Stouts – very grippy, great on rocks. Not sure about tubeless though…

martinh
    Free Member

FR3s are good. Lots of grip but not as slow as Rampages or Nevs.

teamrider24
    Free Member

Conti MK 2.4’s have worked well for me.

ton

i should have said ‘fr3’s are a man’s tyre’……. 😉

tazzymtb

The new 2.35 pacestar tubeless ready noby nics are mahoosive and top banan as well. Next day tyres have em at an alright price

Rod

Mud X for the front… brilliant grip in any condition and reasonably fast rolling. I have a pair for sale if you’re interested (email me if so!)

Clink

Mud X for the front… brilliant grip in any condition and reasonably fast rolling.

Great on the rear, but too low volume for front, particularly for rocks?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘I'm realy sorry but "What 29er tyre?"’ is closed to new replies.