Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • I'm really, really excited about my new monitor., Am I sad?
  • Kevevs
    Free Member

I’ve been using a 19″ CRT Mitsubishi plus 91 since 2000, when it was a quality bit of kit. I’d carry on using it forever, probably. but, I went round my parents yesterday and my dad just gave me a Samsung sychmaster T260HD, just like that. He bought a new telly with the cash he’s saved from not drinking (another story).

Holy crap! it’s ammmmmaaaaaaazing!! STW looks hooooge. I just wanted to tell someone!!
    The old one is going on freecycle.

err, thanks for listening. Slow day!

organic355
    Free Member

yes

Jamie
    Free Member

He bought a new telly with the cash he’s saved from not drinking (another story).

While it may be another story, I wager it would have been more interesting than the one about getting a new monitor 😉

MrNutt
    Free Member

why not take the internal workings from the mitsubishi and use the body of it as a smoking shelter in your garden?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

You spawney get! Your dad meant to give it to me. It’s mine! Give to me it! 😡

26″ a bit big for desktop use though, no? I’ve got a 24″ monitor sitting idle, cos it’s just too big for my liking. Keep meaning to hook it up as a second monitor to watch fillums and stuff, but still haven’t got around to it.

My iMac CRT has a 15″ screen. There’s laptops now with bigger!

Kevevs
    Free Member

lol Nutt. It’s a right old lump, but I’m sure someone can use it. This thread is now gonna die a death, cos I’ve got absolutely nothing else to say! ho hum. (searches youtube for bike vids..)

it does feel way too big Elf, my eyes are going funny already.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Oh yeah Kev; I’ve still got one of those ‘free’ monitors that company in Curtain road gave away. Can’t blooody get rid of the flippin’ thing. No-one wants old CRTs any more. Shame, cos it’s decent. Similar to your old one. Proper spensive they were, back then.

Dunalf take up a lot of space. Could turn it into a kennel or rabbit hutch or something I spose…

5lab

i use a 32″ full hd tv for desktop work. stw does look a little large on that 🙂

Drac

I have the same one had it for couple of years, it’s bloody excellent.

26″ a bit big for desktop use though, no?

Nope it’s perfect, I even have my old 19″ LCD next to it but that’s now a bit iffy so it’s not being used but was good for keeping an eye on things when gaming or watching something on the 26″.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Is it time for a monitor wars picture round?

2 x 24″ displays if you can;t work out the scale.

organic355
    Free Member

Drac

But one’s switched off, so you have 1×24″.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Needed to plug external hard disc in 😳

Kevevs
    Free Member

haha, re. the old monitor. looks like the guy who runs the local freecycle is snapping it off me before even putting it on the list!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Does he want mine?

oink
    Free Member

added a couple more to my setup recently 😉

granted, one of them is on a second machine

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Jeeze; how many eyes have you got??

I’ve hooked up my 24″ monitor to give it a go. I’m having to move my head to look at different bits of the screen. I’m used to a 19″ monitor, and am finding I only look at one portion of the screen anyway. Mostly I work with Illustrator and PS, and zoom in on small details, then zoom out to see the whole thing, but don’t really need a big screen. Maybe coming from a 15″ iMac and smaller screens has conditioned me to prefer smaller screen area.

This cheapo DGM 24″ is miles better than the Samsung I’ve been using. Better colours, sharper, better consistency across the screen and from different angles.

I think a 21″ screen would be about ideal for me really. Anything bigger is just too big for me.

IA

You get used to the extra inches (fnarr fnarr). I think a 30 would be about right for me, but a pair of 24s is realistically a far more cost-effective option for coding etc. Currently scraping by on a single 24 till I get a new job though, need more pixels!

Bregante

Kevevs
    Free Member

Elf: This thing is ace. I wish I had it when I was doing illustration work. Just more visual space to move around, brilliant! More the better, so long as it is stable, holds resolution, and proper black, white, accurate colours and depth. If you want 19″, just open a smaller window in the middle! put all your palettes around the sides. shcwing! It actually has opened up my deskspace loads cos I can push it back further against the back of the desk, so it takes up about the same visual field. Lovin it. and it’s fullHD freeview telly with all the modern ports n stuff.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’m slowly getting used to it. Yes, the palettes thing is a good point. Maybe I’ve just bin denying myself all this time. 😳

One problem is that it’s so big it now blocks the window that’s behind it too much.

And that 28″ one i’ve got in the front room is definitely too big, isn’t it? 😕

bwoolymbr
    Free Member

How about this for a beast of a monitor! It isn’t mine unfortunately however I cope just fine with my PC being ran out through a 37″ Samsung at 1080p 🙂

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘I'm really, really excited about my new monitor., Am I sad?’ is closed to new replies.