• This topic has 26 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by ben.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • I'm off. One for the expats!
  • ben
    Free Member

No, it’s not a flounce thread!

I’ve accepted a new job in Singapore and am leaving blighty in a few weeks. Whilst I’m pretty sure everything’s in hand, I’d love any tips from anyone who’s done this, i.e. the little things you forget to do, any things you wish you’d brought with you, etc..

Finally – what tyres for Malaysia? 🙂

Cheers all
    Ben

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Keep a UK bank account open with a few quid in it just in case. Nowhere is more backwards than the UK when it comes to trying to get a bank account.

allthepies
    Free Member

Nowhere is more backwards than the UK when it comes to trying to get a bank account.

LOL. I thought personal banking in the UK is actually very good compared with what you’ll get in mainland Europe.

MSP

allthepies – Member

Nowhere is more backwards than the UK when it comes to trying to get a bank account.

LOL. I thought personal banking in the UK is actually very good compared with what you’ll get in mainland Europe.

Nope banking in Germany is still a service industry, you pay a little bit for the service, but don’t get screwed over at every opportunity.

allthepies
    Free Member

Must have changed then, back a few years ago German banks charged customers to pay cheques into their accounts 🙂

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Agreed that German banks and other euro ones are much more serviced based, (e.g. you pay for everthing), you can however open an account easily, unlike the UK where you need 3 months worth of bills addressed to you, which is somewhat of an inconvenience if you’ve just moved there.

MSP

Probably still do, but cheques are so last century.
    But they won’t charge you 30 euros to send a letter to tell you the cheque has bounced, and then charge you another 30 euros because the first 30 euros charge has taken you over your limit, and another 30 euros as a monthly charge for being over your limit.

allthepies
    Free Member

I prefer my in-credit UK account thanks, no service charges, don’t go overdrawn, get paid 4% (gross) interest, don’t check charged when I pay cheques in (sorry about the old skool tech but some share dividends etc still paid that way).

ben
    Free Member

Will still have a UK account, so no worries there.. Shall we move on? 😉

MSP

Ah yes well the UK system is brilliant if your in the affluent minority.

LoCo
    Free Member

My brother is in Singapore at the moment, mail me with a list of question and I can put you in touch with him if you like.

TheBrick
    Free Member

or if you just mange you money correctly.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Singapore is a pretty easy place to be an expat (I did a couple of years in Hong Kong and used to travel to Singapore a fair bit) so you should be fine.

I used to prefer to travel out initially myself and sort out accomodation before moving the family out. I was always able to do that within a week or two of arriving, however that meant taking a fair bit of cash for deposits and in order to get a local bank account set-up. I rarely shipped much stuff out as I kept my house in the UK so usually rented furnished places (or just bought furniture to kit the new pace out) so we just arrived with suitcases etc.

Is the move a permanent one of just for a year or two?

allthepies
    Free Member

or if you just mange you money correctly.

+1

(sorry Ben)

Saccades
    Free Member

Sort your mail out – to a parents house is better than a PO box, or at least to someone you trust to open and read mail to you. (do set up a redirect from your addy to the one you trust to catch “odd” stuff.

Bills – get reading off the gas/leccy etc.

Leave about a grand in the bank account if you can, you’ll be surprised how often you’ll want/need UK cash.

make sure any loans etc are paid off, do not rely on money being moved internationally on time. Don’t care what they say, don’t rely on it.

Cancel all Credit cards, but keep a current account open.

also – move all the stuff linked to your current work email to a internet based one. Things like paypal have to be closed down, trust me on this close your paypal account if you move countries otherwise you can get stuck with a limited paypal account good for nothing if it’s hijacked at any point.

packer
    Free Member

I wouldn’t cancel all your credit cards – it will adversely affect your credit rating. Keep them open with zero balance (ideally). If you’re worried about the cards falling into the wrong hands then just cut them up.

ben
    Free Member

Cheers for the tips so far!

I too am keeping my UK house and letting it as furnished, so we’re not taking any furniture with us.

It’s a permanent move, but I imagine we’ll be back in a few years time.

flip
    Free Member

Never seen as many beautiful ladies as i saw in Singapore, hang out at the Penny Black on the river by the CBD 😉

Northwind

MSP – Member

“But they won’t charge you 30 euros to send a letter to tell you the cheque has bounced, and then charge you another 30 euros because the first 30 euros charge has taken you over your limit”

Wee bit offtopic but all UK banks committed to stop doing this years ago- no double jeopardy, charges for charges. I don’t know of any highstreet bank that still does but if it does happen to you, don’t just let it sit.

tang
    Free Member

clean, hot, great food and a gateway to some great places. I met a guy there who was a mechanic with the most beautiful collection of mountainbikes, the sort of fleet that would have psycle reaching for his wallet.

ivantate
    Free Member

I have mate who went out there about 18months ago and is having a great time.
    The one thing I would be disappointed about its still very much a them and us expat society.

Road tyres from what I am told!

ben
    Free Member

Road tyres from what I am told!

Road bike packed up last night, it’s coming with me on the plane.. Mountain bike to follow – it looks like they do have some half decent mountain biking from what I’ve read.

The “them and us” issue is something I am concerned about, though I’ll e working with a lot of locals so hope not to end up immersed in the expat only lifestyle.

flip
    Free Member

Really jealous, i spent many good times along the river drinking, feels like you’re somewhere in Singapore.

Spent many a train journey from Malaysia shitting myself when ushered off the train, the sniffer dogs went on…

Certain death if someone had planted drugs on ya!!!!!

It really focused my brain.

You can take a lovely few weeks travelling SE Asia from there, i spent years doing it, get up to Chaing Mai an Laos. Lovely People.

Enjoy your time 😉 It’s not cheap there but the rest of SE Asia is, ilived like a king for £10 a day in Thailand.

That was 10yrs ago mind.

So jealous 😐

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I’ve kind of done it the other way.

Major thing is keep a bank account open.

Cancel all Credit cards,

I’d totally disagree with that.

If possible try and stay on the register of elecors (eg move it to folks address etc).

Keep a photocopy of your passport. It’s a royal pita to replace once abroad.

Get health insurance – check it’s conditions on residency.

Seriously consider transferring your existing driving licence vs redoing a test in the new country. That depends on your language skills etc. But (hangs head in shame) 2 licences are nice.

Forward mail to a relative (via RM redirect etc) – and get them to open / read it. PO boxes are rubbish.

Learn to speculte on the new currency versus the one you’ll end up back with. It’s really frustrating moving money this month when next month you realise you’ve just lost 10%.

Enjoy!

flip
    Free Member

Lovely, but the ladies are even prettier 8)

ben
    Free Member

I’ve been advised by a colleague to keep a UK credit card, especially for purchases I can’t make in Singapore and get them send to my folks address in the UK.

Mail will all be going to my folks too.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘I'm off. One for the expats!’ is closed to new replies.