Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Im looking for a thin 9 speed chain
  • godzilla
    Free Member

Im looking for a thin 9 speed chain as my PC917 runs very close to the pivot on my Heckler, are KNC ect much thinner, 0.6mm would do it.
    Also i seem to remember reading, that 10 speed chains will work with 9 speed but not the other way round, i may have dreamt this bit tho.
    Cheers.

njee20
    Free Member

Nope, you can use 10 speed chains. Weight weenies have been running X10SLs on 9 speed for years.

Begs the question though… why’s your pivot causing problems? It doesn’t on other Hecklers.

Skoolshoes
    Free Member

Chainline problem?
    As above… you can use a 10spd chain with 9spd.

glenh
    Free Member

Sounds like you have the wrong BB/crank combo to me. Why does the chain run so close to the pivot in the first place?

godzilla
    Free Member

With an Slx 22-36 with bash and proper BB spacing the chain catches the pivot on my 2011 Heckler, im going to space the bb out by 1mm extra, So a slightly thinner chain wouldnt go a miss, i want to run 22-36 with bash not a triple.

godzilla
    Free Member

So a 10 speed chain will fit, are they much thinner, are there any 9 Speeds thinner than PC971?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

godzilla – Member

With an Slx 22-36 with bash and proper BB spacing the chain catches the pivot on my 2011 Heckler, im going to space the bb out by 1mm extra, So a slightly thinner chain wouldnt go a miss, i want to run 22-36 with bash not a triple.
    Posted 55 minutes ago # Report-Post

On a 2011 heckler with the same bb and cranks/rings/chain etc mine is no-where near the pivot

how is yours spaced? shoudl be 2 drive side spacers and 1 none drive side

rob-jackson
    Free Member

ignore that forgot its a 73mm shell. no rubbing on mine still though with a 22/36 setup (slx double) on a large 2011 heckler

godzilla
    Free Member

Im wondering if i have a duff frame.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

post some pics for me to have a look at please

rob-jackson
    Free Member

godzilla
    Free Member

rob-jackson
    Free Member

sgood that 😉

godzilla
    Free Member

rob-jackson
    Free Member

i see no problem there

godzilla
    Free Member

Thats with 2x 2.5mm spacers

unsponsored
    Free Member

I had an issue with mine when I used a Raceface crankset and an acros BB. Changed to a hope BB and Shimano XT crankset and have zero issues/ I think it was the cranks that were at fault.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

looks no different to mine (even if you take a spacer out) – how/where is this rubbing/clashing??

godzilla
    Free Member

Its rubbing at 7 oclock, you cant see it in the photo as i put marker on it to stop me looking at it, i will re-fit and photo. its 100% catching, i wonder if the bulge in the chain is pushing it out?

Cruzheckler – What chain do you use?
    Unsponsored – Are hope BB’s wider when fitted?
    Gloss black bikes are a right bee-atch to photo.

unsponsored
    Free Member

I have know idea if they are wider. But changing that and the cranks did the trick.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

hg73 chain

godzilla
    Free Member

Just looked up HG73, shimano sell it as a “super narrow” chain, do you know roughly how wide it is?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

nope sorry – looks same as every other chain i have had though

Skoolshoes
    Free Member

Maybe try another spacer on the drive side? Don’t know if this is possible, but if it is, it’s what I’d try first!
    Changing the chain would probably only lose 1mm or under from the width of the chain.

scaredypants

If you’re going to put another DS spacer in, make sure the BB cup has enough thread to engage safely or you might bugger it up and the shell too (saint bbs have longer inserts, not sure about slx though)

julianwilson
    Free Member

Hmmmm. Photos look like there is bags of room. But you say ‘it catches at 7 o’clock’: my money is on a bent chainring or crank ‘spider’.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

i concur

bigyinn
    Free Member

Don’t ride it at that time of day?
    IGMC

Skoolshoes
    Free Member

🙂

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Im looking for a thin 9 speed chain’ is closed to new replies.