• This topic has 27 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Flash.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • I'm looking for a girly laydees shopping bike for a laydee
  • IHN

Something like this

Ideally it will be pink.

Any other ideas?

ericemel
    Free Member

May be out of the price range – but the bike all girls love

http://www.pashley.co.uk/products/poppy-blush-pink.html

IHN

Yeah, it’s a bit dear…

stumpy01

http://www.raleigh.co.uk/ProductType/ProductRange/Product/Default.aspx?pc=1&pt=266&pg=10635%5B/quote%5D

http://www.raleigh.co.uk/ProductType/ProductRange/Product/Default.aspx?pc=1&pt=266&pg=10638

http://dawescycles.com/product/duchess-cream/

My Wife’s been moaning recently that her mountain bike (that she chose after I repeatedly asked her ‘is it comfortable?’….’are you sure it’s what you want?’ etc.) is not that comfortable for pottering about on.
    So, I’ve been looking at something a bit more ‘sit up & beg’ for her. The above is what I’ve found so far…..

edit – fails on the pink requirement, unfortunately.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Love the Halfords reviews for that – “Halfords did not (sic) titan…”

I’d go Dutch, Batavus, Gazelle – etc they do shopping/town bikes properly. I use a Batavus Personal and it does the lot, stable, doesn’t rust, 3 speed hub gears, roller brakes, dynamo, lights inbuilt lock, confident and balanced. More money (unless second user) but for this type of bike a better long-term low-maintenace and feelgood investment than Halfords IMO and the normally the aftermarket accesories are already built in.

Stick Batavus or Gazelle search into Ebay?I notice there’s a nice pink Diva currently up for offers…

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Purely for comdey effect, you understand, I rode my SiL’s Pashley Brittannia (?) round Stratford upon Avon recently. Frankly it was quite a revelation, like sitting on a very comfortable (if slight odd perched) chair and being handed a set of handlebars.

IHN

Oh man, I think we have a winner (thanks stumpy)

http://dawescycles.com/product/hippy-duchess-citron/

ericemel
    Free Member

Personally I think dutchie’s look great – but only in black!

http://www.dutchie.co.uk/classic-ladies-bike.html

Duffer
    Free Member

Get yourself on the ‘bay and buy an old Pashley. They’ve not changed in the last 40 years.

We did exactly that when Mrs D wanted one. In the end we paid £200 for one that had spent it’s life at someone’s holiday home on the south coast, and was in ‘as new’ condition. Sturmey Archer 3 speed, brooks and rod brakes; it’s fantastic! I decided i’d service the hub, but as soon as i started to strip it i realised that it was prestine inside.

Speeder

What’s the budget?

There are these for £300-350 from Bobbin and are both available in pink. (Please excuse the LL links – they may be available from other outlets but I’ve seen them in the local LL)

Bobbin Metropole

Bobbin Brownie

Speeder

Oh but +1 on Malvernrider’s Batavus suggestion. We’ve got an old Dutch that sits outside in all weathers and only has the tiniest bit of rust on the cranks. We brought it back from Amsterdam when we moved back and it was my wife’s first brand new bike and is great.

I can’t imagine riding a bike geared for the Netherlands around Malvern though that must be quite a slog at times MR?

khani
    Free Member

Pink Laydee..
    Seen this the other day and thought it was nice..

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

nice? if you like pink!

Shame it’s a single gear.

Yeah the Batavus Personal is a heft in hilly country, 3 speed Nexus – even after changing sprocket and ring it’s usable but fully loaded up a mad hill I struggle. I use it regularly and happily in other climes, mostly on the flat or gentle hills for shopping and beach 8) duties for which it was intended.

A seven speed hub option would be better, there’s loads of them around. Never understood why British shopping bikes are stuck in the dark ages with rim brakes, cheap derailleurs/few accesories and cheap rust-magnet claptrap

zippykona

wiggles
    Free Member

Another vote for bobbin they are decent bikes for the money.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Oh ye gods. I kind of want one. But in black. with a Triumph headbadge 8)

Don’t know where you are OP, not that it matters, but you could do worse than give Rob a call at Really Useful Bikes (nr Brizzle) – very helpful chap, knows a thing or two about shoppers. I bought my (demo model) ute from him some years ago, mainly because he was helpful and didn’t try and sell me anything!

DezB
    Free Member

Those style of bikes are a phenomenon round here – so many girls ride them!

(*Those style of bikes – Feel free to correct my English in your head)

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Think this was meant here?

That’s actually pretty smart, definitely not BSO..

munrobiker
    Free Member

There is a British company that isn’t Pashley that does nice reasonably priced ladies’ bikes- I thought the name was a day of the week but it turns out it isn’t according to google.

I’d avoid Gazelles/Batavus etc. In a nation with moderate inclines they are very painful for a less strong rider to ride, and a pain to work on if anything goes wrong.

BigDummy
    Free Member

MrsDummy desperately wanted a Pashley. They are very fine. However, the wretched things weigh a tonne, and have fairly limited gearing. That has meant that:

– she couldn’t pedal it up hills;
    – she couldn’t carry it up and down stairs;
    – she found it surprisingly difficult to do things like moving it around when locking it up, putting it away, taking it out of the shed etc.

It ended up almost completely unused, and was recently supplanted by a nice light hybrid.

takisawa2

On-one have some alloy female hybrid frames for £49.
    Mrs takisawa2’s is being built at the moment.
    It’s light!!![*]

m360
    Free Member
    TiRed

If it’s good enough for VP

If it’s good enough for VP’s pension fund

There are no bad shopping bikes. I may race a nice, fast carbon road bike, but going into town (aka badlands of bike theft), the Sparta Ladies (actually a girl’s) Dutch shopper with panniers is the first bike I choose. Mine was £100 used, and I added a long seatpost.

These bikes are heavy, so I would recommend at least five gears. Hub brakes are also a nice to have, as is a front hub dynamo, fully enclosed drivechain, and of course, a nice set of panniers. Cost for these features will be about £700. A functional bike with V-brakes, mudguards and rack will be £300 plus accessories. Bobbin are nice, VP’s the same. Pashley for more discerning customers, and of course Dawes for tradition. That Specialized Globe is a (much lighter) abomination 😉

ctk
    Free Member

Charge Hob is a good looking ladies bike if you can find one.

Speeder

ctk – Member
    Charge Hob is a good looking ladies bike if you can find one.

No it’s not. Fast it may be compared to the shoppers but the looks, only a mother could love

eshershore
    Free Member

My missus bought a pashley poppy for the looks and hated the ride – uncomfortable, heavy, limited gearing range, sketchy when standing up, very rattly on bumps and surprisingly fast handling in a bad way!

Only good thing was it held its value and we sold it for £350 two years after purchase – was in great condition.

She bought a road bike, much happier now…

wilburt
    Free Member

Try the Pendeltons from Halfords, cheap as chips but brilliant bikes.

Flash
    Free Member

Evening,

Mrs Flash rode the coast to Coast on a Pashley Princess and dresses, as a concession she did wear padded shorts and existed on Jelly Babies

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘I'm looking for a girly laydees shopping bike for a laydee’ is closed to new replies.