Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • I'm going to go ballistic (letting agency rant)
  • coffeeking
    Free Member

4th time my landlords letting agent has let themselves in unannounced, wandered about the flat and left. The first 3 times were due to their inability to send out updated inspection dates and then just turning up on whatever day they liked, this time it's sending out a letter one day before the event and then me receiving the letter the day AFTER they visited. It's simply NOT acceptable and every time I've complained they've been all nicey and "we'll sort that out" but never have. Well this time I've had it. I've no idea what to do though, part of me is tempted to go mental, the other part is just wanting to let it lie while I move out (I've already handed in my "notice"). The thing is I'm not sure what I want from them, more than a cheap half-hearted apology. I'm tempted to turn up to their from door tomorrow morning and demand to speak to the manager and then vent. I'm then, when I've got my deposit back etc, going to catalogue my experiences online and ensure it's well linked.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Out of order and illegal. If they won't listen, inform the police and change the locks. I always fit my own mortice and Yale type locks anyway, in any place I live in. If they need access, they can inform me, and come round when it's convenient to me. The LL may argue hat you can't change locks, but you are legally entitled to 'quiet enjoyment' of your home, so if changing the locks is the only way to ensure this, then do it. I have never, ever heard of anyone being done for this. Indeed, how would they know, unless they tried to gain access without your knowledge…? 😉

I'd be demanding some sort of compensation. Couple of weeks rent?

skidartist
    Free Member

If you ask them to, the agency is obliged to give you contact details for the owner. Contact the owner and advise them to find a better agency.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I'm tempted, the problem is the landlady is very helpful and pleasant and is "on our side" and we wouldn't want to cause her grief, willing to give us a few weeks without going through the letting agent while we have the uncertainty of a move, so part of me doesnt want to rock the boat but I find it totally invasive and my other half finds it distressing as she doesnt know who'll be walking through the door without warning.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Just change the locks, seriously.

The idea of someone wandering around my home without my knowledge gives me the creeps. Sniffing my pants, looking in my fridge, all sorts, the dirty bastards…

2hottie
    Free Member

Yep quiet enjoyment means that you are able to enjoy your home as you like, LL or his or her employees cannot enter without your permission as it is illegal as you have a lease and not a licence. So in theory they have broken the law. what ever is likely to come of it who knows but do go in and remind them of this. It should be in your lease. They have a key only for emergencies only not for them to let themselves in whenever they like. Unless they have made you sign a clause which removes the right to quiet enjoyment in which case this could be a shame clause to make it look like lease but it's not really one. Have a look but I'd still go mental.

coffeeking
    Free Member

lol well there is that. There's also the fact that all my financial documents are available to them and currently out on worksurfaces while things are being organised, and sometimes I bring work home which technically should be confidential (students reports for marking etc) but which I can't do as I've no way of ensuring they won't be seen. But with a month left on the tennancy, I just feel I have no legs to stand on and if I complain they'll just find reasons to keep deposit.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Torch the place. It's the only way they'll learn 😉

Seriously, are they showing people about the flat? If so, leave a large message detailing your thoughts on the agency stuck up somewhere visible. If you're this pissed off now though, imagine how angry you're going to be when they try and stiff you over the deposit 🙁

Letting agents: encouraging people to buy since the dawn of time….

brucethesprucegoose
    Free Member

Letting agents are SH1TE, ours are yet to fix the shower (broken since christmas) despite ringing me 6 times a day to ask me what was wrong with it. Grrr RANT!

I feel a flaming bag of poo through a letterbox coming on, it'll achieve nothing other than satisfaction in knowing I've inconvenienced them, but it'll feel good.
    I think this is the most appropriate course of action for both of us coffeeking, let me know if it works. 😀

2hottie
    Free Member

Keeping the deposit, unlikely that as you can remind them that they have entered the place unlawfully.. Still go nuclear on them tho

See Street v Mountford 1985 AC 809 for the details of exclusive possession

molgrips
    Free Member

Good idea. Tremendously well-mannered and entirely reasonable rant from one of STW's most mild mannered 🙂

wombat

I would be interested to know what they would say if you informed tham that since the date of their "visit" you have been unable to find a particularly valuable item (rolex/some cash/picasso/Henry Moore bronze)(not suggesting that you actually accuse them of anything you understand 😉 )

Talkemada
    Free Member

As a minimum, change the Yale lock, if you have one. Only about £15 or so. Well worth it for peace of mind.

I'm lucky in that I have a decent LL. He leaves me alone, gets stuff sorted when it needs doing (came round at midnight one night when my boiler stopped working), and lets me fix little problems and sorts me out on the rent. I have had other LLs come in without my knowledge, and had one enquiring why I changed the locks…

It's my Home. I pay money to live there, and have a right to privacy.

One place I lived in, shared house; a previous tennant had a workman come round and let himself in with a key (without them being informed). She woke up in bed, to find a strange man coming into her bedroom. Not good. He was only coming in to fix a window as he'd been asked to do, but it's not on.

NZCol

Empty all your gear out, claim its been burgled since their 'visit' and leave it up to them to explain their access and prove they left it secure.
    Its unnaceptable though and you should definitely have that in writing to them.

meehaja
    Free Member

i was going to say complain that your lap top has been stolen. complain to the police. they will ask if anyone else has access, say yeah, letting company keep letting themselves in. only thats ilegal and naughty. just gut a sheep in the hallway. blood and faeces everywhere. perhaps paint threats in blood on hte walls. if htey question it, ask them how they saw it, without illegally accessing your flat?

Talkemada
    Free Member

just gut a sheep in the hallway. blood and faeces everywhere. perhaps paint threats in blood on hte walls. if htey question it, ask them how they saw it, without illegally accessing your flat?

Like it, Meehaja; like it, like it.

I do like that approach, I have to say. Especially the 'blood and faeces everywhere' bit….

NZCol

Go to their office and stage a dirty protest ? Merits it I think…

coffeeking
    Free Member

😀 I like all these ideas but it would seem a tad unfair to he poor random worker who's sent out to inspect, they may well end up being charged with something, or losing their job, I'm not THAT vindictive.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Name and shame at the very least.

BTW – how do you know they've been in?

Talkemada
    Free Member

Go to their office and stage a dirty protest ? Merits it I think…

Love it. Keep 'em coming. The filthier the better, quite frankly.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I will name and shame when I'm shut of them, you can guarantee that.

BTW – how do you know they've been in?

The 3 times they were doing routine inspections (without telling me when) the inspector left a "with compliments" slip, 1 including a following letter complaining that I'd left the kitchen with some plates unwashed (after a family gathering and a late finish) and a bike in the bedroom (which I'd OK'd with the landlady when first applying), and 1 complaining I've not mowed the lawn for a while (2 weeks of rain). This last time I know because they sent a letter which I got this afternoon telling me they were visiting yesterday to measure up the flat for valuation.

ex-pat
    Free Member

You're moving out – let it go and don't rent from that agency again. Life's to short to really do anything about it.
    If you feel the need, write a letter stating that next time you'll press charges for home invasion, but really, you'll be gone by then.
    Sounds like the LL is good – don't bother upsetting the agency.
    The rage will only make you feel bitter in the future. In a few years time you can be serene about the fact you let it go for the right reasons.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Bollocks to that ex pat. Rage is good. Rage, coupled with the other side shitting it, makes you know you're right….

coffeeking
    Free Member

I think the point is I've no idea who is in the flat, I've no idea what they've taken/looked through/done and I've every right to be told when they're coming. I have a lot of expensive kit in the flat and while I don't mind them doing the usual inspections where they just walk about and leave, I do not want them climbing about my kit to measure rooms etc.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Bang out of order. Our agency (managed property -they do naff all and get around 15% of our rent!) did it twice – I called them up, gave them an earful and got a huge apology.

midlifecrashes

Get a placard made saying "Hoxtards licked my pants" and stand outside their office on Saturday morning.

wwaswas

I'd tell them you've mislaid some valuable items that were on a work surface prior to their visit and can they explain who was in your property and for how long for the report you're going to give to the police.

phone up a couple of hours later and say you've subsequently found them.

and as above – get a new barrel for the yale lock they cost £15 and you can fit them with a screwdriver.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Jsut called them, went through a few people and got to someone a bit more senior. They apologised and said they'd make sure they discussed it with the staff involved to rectify the problem. Im not sure I believe them, but I've little else I can do without kicking up a fuss that might make my life harder.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Tell the council, and if you've got universities nearby let the students union know what has happened.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Until the day Letting agents become regulated (which will never happen) they can do whatever they like as they hope that even if they have broken the law, that the tenant will not go any further.

You could take further legal action, but you'll need a solicitor, which might cost you money, and may not really be worth the bother/cash.

something that could be quite fun to do is, check what bodies the letting agents has allied itself with ie ARLA. Now ARLA et al cannot govern how the letting agent operates, but being part of a body and being able to display there logo can improve their business reputation and business, and therefore profit. So a brief letter to any bodies that the letting agents have allied with can seriously affect their profit/business.

If you really feel the need, a quick call to the Local authority tenancy relation officer/private sector/environmental health officer can be a good thing to do. you may be one of many, and a quick phone call often stop this sort of stuff.

if you want to mail offline. feel free.
    some more useful stuff, if you click my name

project
    Free Member

set up a web cam to your computer, or install a cheap burglar alarm and fit the sounder where they cant reach it.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘I'm going to go ballistic (letting agency rant)’ is closed to new replies.