Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 107 total)
  • I'm going to ALDI tonight, what should I buy?
  • andyl
    Free Member

Brioche 🙂

johndoh
    Free Member

Red wine?

Breathing?

Does. Not. Compute.

My wine gets plenty of time to breathe in the 3 seconds it remains in the bottle and being finished off. 8)

trail_rat
    Free Member

I do my main shop at Aldi now. Saving about £25/week and the quality isn’t too bad, especially if you make from scratch.

This…… then go to costco for bulk anything i need thats branded

miketually
    Free Member

Only been once so am in the discovery stage

Bloody newcomers clogging up the aisles. One of my favourite things about Aldi was that you could do the Big Shop in about 15 minutes, but for the last few months ours has been mobbed and it takes ages to get through all the people oohing and aaahing about how cheap everything is.

Rich
    Free Member

I prefer the Kooliburra Shiraz to Toro Loco, but of course it is a personal thing.

johndoh
    Free Member

but of course it is a personal thing.

No it’s not, this is STW, you are right.

EVERYONE is ALWAYS right in STW.

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

I took back a Footpump bust after 5 months and was told “out of guarantee”

Hogwash.

Guarantees are in addition to your statutory rights under the SoGA, not instead of them. They can’t waive your rights, that’s what “statutory” means.

After five months, it’s the retailer’s responsibility to prove that the fault wasn’t inherent at the point of sale, and they’re legally obliged to repair / refund / replace to make good. If what you’re saying is true, they’re breaking the law.

Its actually 6 months…. 😉

AdamW
    Free Member

I’m not.

johndoh
    Free Member

AdamW – Member
    I’m not.

Ahh, but that’s the thing, you are. You just haven’t had it argued into you yet.

AlexSimon

One of my favourite things about Aldi was that you could do the Big Shop in about 15 minutes

This. Still fine on a midweek morning though.
    Just a walk into Tesco to get a few things and an hour is lost!

The quality of their veg used to be second-to-none, but has taken a bit of a fall recently due to different storage methods.

Legoman
    Free Member

They have some individual flapjacks at the tills usually – v. nice (not the chocolate topped ones though)and only 50p.

I used to enjoy them with a clear conscience, until I noticed each one contains 50% of your recommended Sat Fat intake!

number18
    Free Member

I work in supply chain and have been reliably informed that they demand Tesco Finest as a minimum standard from their suppliers. These suppliers obviously supply all the main retailers with the same stuff, just different packaging.

freddyg
    Free Member

+1 Bratwurst
    +1 Chorizo
    +1 cured meats
    +1 chickens
    -1 Pizza (prefer the co-op’s)

+Pain au chocolate
    +Gin. Their Gin is ace for <£10 a bottle.

winston_dog
    Free Member

My wine gets plenty of time to breathe in the 3 seconds it remains in the bottle and being finished off

Get one of these, worth every penny.

Wine Breather

Makes the undrinkable drinkable.

Even this Carrefour Wine Box is quite drinkable.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

And you are right.
    And we are right,
    And all is right, is right as right can be!
    And all is right as right can be!
    right as right can be!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8PpVPZit1M[/video]

PMK2060

number 18 – not exactly true. You can tell by their own label packaging that they benchmark (and copy) against Tesco but not always the Tesco Finest.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Wild rocket. 69p a bag in Aldi, stays fresh for weeks.

99p a bag, at least, in any other supermarket, turns to wild algae after two days in the fridge.

Their 21 day-aged rib-eye steak isn’t particularly cheap but it’s particularly good.

Their Valpolicella Ripasso wine. £7.99 a bottle ain’t especially cheap but it’s the best red wine of any price range from a few notches down to a few up that I tasted over the festive period.

The Toro Loco is surprisingly drinkable as well, for a sub-£4 bottle of plonk.

Steer clear of the Glen Marnoch 18YO whisky though. Heard good things about it, gave it a go, thought it was pretty unpleasant.

johndoh
    Free Member

winston_dog – Member
    My wine gets plenty of time to breathe in the 3 seconds it remains in the bottle and being finished off
    Get one of these, worth every penny.

Wine Breather
    Yeah my brother has one of those, swears by it. I have only experienced it once, on Christmas day. I would have happily drunk meths without realising that day….

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

Brioche
    Curry sauce (the one with separate spice pot on the top of jar) – these are ace.
    Bloomer loaves
    Razors and shaving foam
    Moisturiser (yes)
    Energy drink (not red bull, but purple charge or something)
    Choccy buttons
    Java/Columbian ground coffee

joolsburger
    Free Member

Between doing the weekly shop at Aldi and bulk buying from booker every two weeks my monthly shop is down by £200

The biggest savings by far are had by the golden rule of never buying pre prepared anything. Cook from scratch. I like the deli counter at aldi, fruit and veg is good and meat is decent when I’ve had it.

ransos
    Free Member

Steer clear of the Glen Marnoch 18YO whisky though. Heard good things about it, gave it a go, thought it was pretty unpleasant.

Ditto – I didn’t like it at all.

AlexSimon

I think that whiskey was a good brand-in-disguise for one year, then different after that.

somafunk

Aldi coconut milk, 68% coconut extract for a third of the price as charged by other supermarkets, plum tomatoes/chopped tomatoes/passata etc…

Chickpeas, kidney beans, baked beans and other cupboard staple etc…

In fact i’ll just mail you my shopping list and you can drop it off on your way home, ta very much.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

They do about 3 different ones, it’s my only Aldi vice (and the java coffee, if that’s a vice)

johndoh
    Free Member

I wish there was an Aldi near us 🙁

Nearest one is 15 miles away.

ransos
    Free Member

Aldi coconut milk, 68% coconut extract for a third of the price as charged by other supermarkets

I used a tin of it last night. It was much thinner than the stuff I normally buy from the Asian supermarket.

I wish there was an Aldi near us

Same here. If I’m in the vicinity of one these icecreams have to be purchased.

legspin
    Free Member

Blokes doing shopping and then actually being interested in it *shakes head*
    Oh how the middle class live.

terrahawk
    Free Member

An Aldi just 200 yards from my house opened today! Yay!

Aldi museli is the dog’s todge.

simmy
    Free Member

+ 1 for those flapjacks at the tills, I got talking to the checkout girl about them and, a week later blagged her phone number.

Date number 1 TBA 😉 ( hopefully )

Garry_Lager

Chickpeas, kidney beans, baked beans and other cupboard staple etc…

Nae chickpeas in our Aldi, unless they’ve got them stashed somewhere weird. Main thing missing from my weekly shop there.

JCL
    Free Member

It’s all just crap from China isn’t it?

GrahamS

Aldi museli is the dog’s todge.

Yum! 😕

Klunk
    Free Member

the harvest morn hot oat cereal is indistinguishable from ready brek and considerably cheaper! (if you like that sort of thing 🙂 )

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

My local ALDI was doing Highland Park for £24.99 – bargaintastic.
    Also Scottish Brie – better than cheap French Brie (albeit a bit more expensive)

edhornby

The highland black 8yo is fine for an inexpensive whisky. As well as toro loco, the Italian red at the same price is good too, don’t need a posh decanter a water a jug works fine. Parmesan is good, the posh taglietellie is ok but the other pastas are foul. Will try the museli

KonaTC

Chilli Moser Roth Chocolate

MMMMmmmmm….

weare138
    Free Member

We have started shopping there after spending fortunes in sainsburys for year. We get the staples and then top,it up,with a few buts from Marks at the weekend.
    For some Toro yesterday, the musili is very good, their Pringles are the originals, stakers, and half the price! The cup soups isn’t bad, the small fruit is great for the kids lunch boxes and 89p for a big bag.
    Need to try the gin 🙂

prawny

Toro loco Tempranillo, massive block of mild cheese and frangipans.

pedlad

+ 1 for those flapjacks at the tills, I got talking to the checkout girl about them and, a week later blagged her phone number.

Date number 1 TBA ( hopefully )

A mans got to get his oats 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 107 total)

The topic ‘I'm going to ALDI tonight, what should I buy?’ is closed to new replies.