Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • I'm going niche – fixie my singlespeed advice
  • velocipede
    Free Member

Right, I’ve decided I’m going to do something I’ve planned for years….

I’m going to run a rigid singlespeed (horizontal dropouts) with a fixed gear, and only run a front brake….very clean, light, minimalist….

….why, I don’t know so don’t ask…..

So, anyone done it? If so, what hub have you used and what gearing??? I’m thinking a Goldtec hub with double fixed so I can run different ratios (don’t know where to source one), with a disc only rim (clean look – could never fit a rear V brake – even more niche) and running fattish slicks as I intent to use it for night rides on the lanes/fireroads round here – prob not singletrack…maybe run 32×14 or so….

Anyone prepared to make positive suggestions (I can imagine there will be plenty of negative ones!!!) 😀

xiphon
    Free Member

Fixies are fun 🙂 Owned a Spesh Langster for a few years for riding around London.

I would stick with two brakes personally…

messiah
    Free Member

I run flip/flop fixie/free with a v-brake. I try not to brake at all when riding it, Singletrack is fun… so don’t ditch the back brake as you might need it. No poser points here.

andyl
    Free Member

get a disc mount sprocket and flip the wheel round.

69er
    Free Member

Velosolo rear cog and what andyl said. Great fun, if a little different. Lose the rear brake, it’s a whole new way to ride. My preferred set up for winter 😉

bazookajoe
    Free Member

velo solo have the disc mount hubs and lots more lovely bits.

HermanShake
    Free Member

What frame/forks?

I reckon 32×16 would be fine by the way, too low a gear feels pretty awkward. As said a disc mount sprocket on one side of a freehub hub/singlespeed hub will give you the flip-flop.

Charlie the bike monger (I think he uses STW) is a good person to quiz on such things if you want to make things more niche.

Also what are you fitting in terms of pedals?

TiRed

Why is this niche? My son cycles to school on said steed on a daily basis 😉 . For the really clean look you need a hub brake on the front.

flashes
    Free Member

If it’s for road I run 40 X 16 and for fixed MTB 32 X 15. Love it….

wanderingspirit
    Free Member

For the road/commuting I use a 42×16, but i like to climb hills. as for brakes, call me weak if you may, but Im not getting any younger, 37 and want to save my knees so I use both front and rear brakes… plus I like to go fast and on more than half a dozen times I have had to brake abruptly to avoid a very bad crash; so they have saved me…. many fixies around Melb dont have any brakes at all. Couriers,i guess they are one with their bike more, but all others ive seen go at about the speed of your granny on a mobility scooter, looking HIP, so slowing down is easy. Skidding; if your going fast you need abit of distance till you stop so your still going to crash into that car, person etc. all in all I wish I had continued riding a fixed since my first, a tricycle.. its so much fun and control is better not to mention neat when you pass a derailer.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Do you have a sister?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘I'm going niche – fixie my singlespeed advice’ is closed to new replies.