Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • I'm feeling rather chuffed at my ride today (mahoosive hill content!)
  • robdob
    Free Member

Well if you remember the thread a while back when I said I wanted to lose quite a lot of weight (5'7" and 15st7lbs is not great, face it) and get fitter you may be wondering how I'm going.
    Or not. 😀
    Well, I'm down to 14st 11lbs (lost 10lbs) and getting out on my bike at least 2-3 times a week. Which is five gazillion percent more than I used to.
    Took a big step today and managed to ride 28.45 miles on my road bike in 2h15mins, average speed 12.5mph.
    Now I know a lot of you may think thats a bit slow. I can understand that. However, the ride did include riding over Marsden Moor and Saddleworth Moor in one ride. In a headwind. I had to pedal DOWN to Marsden as it was so windy!
    Route was Huddersfield to Outlane (next to M62) on A640 then over the moors to Delph, turn south then back east on A62 over Saddleworth back to Huddersfield. 2000ft of vertical ascent and 1000 of that in the first 9 miles (which were ALL uphill!)
    So hopefully the next time a Peaks Pootle is on I'll be fit enough so that I can wait for someone else at the top of a hill, rather than everyone waiting for me….. 🙂

radoggair
    Free Member

well i'm impressed.

Great steps to getting fitter, keep up the good work and i'm sure you'll be down to a great weight with a great fitness in a few years time

_tom_
    Free Member

Sounds good to me. I really need to get on the fitness thing, I'm 5'9" ish and still about 110kg (mind you I used to be 144)! Doing a 50k CRC marathon in September, so hopefully that'll give me the push to train harder as I don't want to back out halfway round.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Nice one mate. Good stuff.

hora
    Free Member

robdob, firstly 😀

Secondly- Im trying to figure your route- its alot of tarmac??

If not I'd like you to show me it one weekend soon..

ton

nice route too.
    some nice long climbs. 8)

sc-xc

its alot of tarmac??

probably… 😉

managed to ride 28.45 miles on my road bike

robdob
    Free Member

Hora, yeah its all tarmac. However I did see a lot of signs for bridleways which got me thinking for the future. Need to check out an OS map I think.

It is nice not feeling bloated anymore and Im noticing a bit more space on my waistline. Someone said my face looked thinner a couple of days ago, I suppose I was happy they weren't concentrating on the huge gut… :-/

robdob
    Free Member

nice route too. some nice long climbs.

Yeah, I have done some of it the other way round. I had a Kaffenback and found a bridleway that cut 10 miles off the route. Might have been the Pennine Bridleway. That time I went from Hudds to Marsden and up on t'moors then north then east back along the A640 to my house. This was was better as the climb past the Saddleworth Hotel is broken up a bit and a lot easier than going from Delph then back east along the A640. I've done a plot of it on here if you want to have a look.
    Might try doing the same route but extending it to Uppermill/Greenfield/Holmfirth next time.

Swalsey
    Free Member

Very impressive that you're making the effort – best of luck until you reach your goal 😀

zaskar
    Free Member

Is that all? 😉

Nah just kidding well done robdob and with the weightloss!

(Sounds like he had a blast-who said roadbikes are boring!)

robdob
    Free Member

(Sounds like he had a blast-who said roadbikes are boring!)

I don't like riding with others too much, I suppose on a road bike its you against the hill, plus most others are fitter than me and it gets me down. However the MTB riding I don't like doing on my own at all, very strange.

I wouldn't say boring or exciting, just different I suppose.

dans160
    Free Member

Top effort. Riding is how I lost the bulge. Twice now!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘I'm feeling rather chuffed at my ride today (mahoosive hill content!)’ is closed to new replies.