• This topic has 49 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by LoCo.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • I'm considering organising an STW ride
  • molgrips
    Free Member

In South Wales.

Are they fun to organise? Would anyone come to one organised by me? 🙂

soma_rich
    Free Member

Will there be cake?

DezB
    Free Member

Dunno about the organising, but the attending is always good 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

My mate organised an XC race near Brecon and Mrs Grips baked a ton of cakes – they went down like hot cakes, even though they were actually cold at the time 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Do it. It's great fun!

Mine's this weekend although it's invite only (for obvious reasons) as it starts at my house. 🙂

Cake is compulsary though. 🙂

IHN

Organising = think of good route with decent parking at start, advertise on here, turn up, ride it. Easy.

I'd come, depending where it was.

molgrips
    Free Member

Could be starting from Cardiff – could park in Asda carpark just off the M4.

May not be the best route though. Would have to think about that.

I might invite as many of the forum argumentative types as I can just to see if it would be the same in real life as it is on here 🙂

LoCo
    Free Member

I'm up for it and can supply some cake 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

Would have to plan a ride carefully… Starting from Cardiff might be tricky since there'd have to be a lot of riding (on and off road) to get out to the bigger stuff in the Valleys, making a seriously epic day out. You wouldn't want to all come down here just for my local loops.

LoCo
    Free Member

Start at Cwmcarn maybe, plenty of stuff in all directions from there and easy to find.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah good idea LoCo.

My valleys rides tend towards the Rhondda though. But could be good. Could also start something at GlynCorrwg and head over the mountain Glyneath way.

Keva
    Free Member

I'll come along for a south Wales ride, definitley. Only ever ridden the trail centres before.

Kev

Pook

Having organised a few now "Peaks Pootles"/"pooks pootles" whatever you want to call them, it's not that bad.

Just make sure everyone knows you aren't responsible for them, but be prepared to be able to advise on shortcuts etc.

Make sure you know the route.

As long as people who come on my rides enjoy them, I enjoy them, and I'll do anything to help people to enjoy it, even down to carrying two bikes up a hill once for a lad who was half dead.

Let people know –

route
    meeting point
    meeting time
    departure time
    type of riding

don't give them your phone number (i've found that people use you as a crutch as opposed to using their noggin)

It is fun, honest. My next one is on Saturday morning

LoCo
    Free Member

Don't know much around the other areas tbh. but that sounds good too always up for new stuff.
    How long were you wanting the ride to be?

wwaswas

route
    meeting point
    meeting time
    departure time
    type of riding

I ride on my own and still struggle to achieve all of those every time.

Ambrose

I'm up for helping out with some local knowlege if you want. I live near Ammanford. I know GC fairly well.

molgrips
    Free Member

I dunno how long it'd be – there'd have to be two options I suppose, and possible leaders – a shortcut for the tired folk.

I'm not sure if it'd be better to do Valleys for the novelty factor, or just head for the Beacons for the scenery and whatnot.

Cheers for the encouragement tho, this is sounding like fun 🙂 Not sure when though – a fair few weeks away I think.

sofatester
    Free Member

Why not do the "Gap" ride in the Brecons?

Then all you 6in travel trail gods could show us how it's done 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes easy as long as numbers are about 30 ishanymore and mechanicals and keeping track becomes and issue.STress the distance and terrain and someone will still turn up who cannot complete the distance .

Good fun IMHE

LoCo
    Free Member

There's lots of stuff round Cwmcarn area and am happy to show 'some' of it depending on the type of riding the rides aimed at. But am equally as happy to truddle round the Beacons.

molgrips
    Free Member

Why not do the "Gap" ride in the Brecons?

Cos half of STW have already done it, and there's loads and loads of better rides around!

Loco – could start near my house, I know the trails to get to Cwmcarn – then could ride some of your stuff and back. It'd be a good 4-5 hour epic with quite a lot of climbing I reckon.

njee20
    Free Member

Yes I thoroughly enjoyed the one I 'organised'. I had a vague route planned, with the option to modify it appropriately, otherwise I just suggested a meeting point and loads of people turned up!

Thinking of doing another one next month actually.

LoCo
    Free Member

Sounds good, up through the castle woods and rudry way yeah? sure we can tie some stuff in.

sofatester
    Free Member

Cos half of STW have already done it, and there's loads and loads of better rides around!

What about the half that have not? 😥

Matbike
    Free Member

sounds great. when are u planning to do that?

molgrips
    Free Member

What about the half that have not?

They can look it up in one of the mags and do it, or come on my better ride 🙂

Loco – I'd start at Cardiff Gate and then go up the lanes to the Sirhowy Valley Path then down to Risca and back over the mountain. There are several routes there, not sure which is best. Also not sure if it's ideal for a guided ride, it's all bit… local.

Ambrose

Loads of variety and scope in Ystradfellte/ Glynneath area. Easy to link into Skyline too if people want to, or Rhondda, or Beacons. Upper Swansea Valley very close too.

molgrips
    Free Member

I was thinking Glynneath way too. More 'epic' than down here.

br
    Free Member

could park in Asda carpark just off the M4.

You don't by any chance have shares in "Town and City Parking" do you?

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/south-wales-news/bridgend-maesteg/2010/07/15/taxi-driver-challenges-parking-fine-issued-by-asda-in-bridgend-91466-26854488/

taxi25
    Free Member

Parking at Asda would be a problem !!! But you can count me in MG. Don't over think things though, Just pick a date and post it up.

LoCo
    Free Member

Mg give me a call at the workshop if you want to discuss pro cons valley based ride. 01443 838336. Doing paperwork so any distraction is welcome 😀

sofatester
    Free Member

Doing paperwork so any distraction is welcome

I've just posted your number on a alternative website. So you should have plenty of distraction very shortly "WelshBigBoy" 😉

LoCo
    Free Member

😆 😆 😯

MrsPoddy
    Free Member

Can I ask that if you do organise a ride and advertise it on singletrack and people say they will come you actually turn up.
    Admittedly I have been on quite a few and really enjoyed the camaraderie and seeing other peoples local trails. Good opportunity to try out new recipes (oat cookies & courgette muffins to name a few).

molgrips
    Free Member

Alright, perhaps Asda wasn't such a good idea. But you get my drift – somewhere nearby 🙂

Ambrose

I can mail you a whole pile of *.mmo or *.gpx files if you want. Or just a screenshot.

wwaswas

if you do organise a ride and advertise it on singletrack and people say they will come you actually turn up.

the voice of slightly disappointed experience there?

molgrips
    Free Member

All GPXes gratefully received! Email in profile.

Not enough ride-sharing goes on here.

phil.w
    Free Member

since you won't be on the climate thread to entertain me can i be invited please molgrips.

EDIT, i'll be driving across the bridge to get there so consider the carbon impact 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Of course.. all welcome anyway when/if it happens 🙂

Do we prefer epic Beacons or more intricate local Cardiff/Cwmcarn area stuff?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘I'm considering organising an STW ride’ is closed to new replies.