• This topic has 10 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by fbk.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • I'm a numpty – scratched fork stantion content.
  • dazzlingboy

Leaned bike against a wall, it fell and scratched a stantion. I’m absolutely raging.

Not badly scratched, but it is visible and certainly can feel it.

Should I

A) MTFU and keep riding
    B) take ultra fine wet n dry and give it a rub
    C) run screaming to the post office and send the whole lot back to Magura and order new stantions.

So annoyed with myself. Not even a decent crash to show for it. 👿

4ndyB
    Free Member

B

joeh2o
    Free Member

Cycle really fast in the opposite direction to the Earth’s rotation, a la Superman, to reverse time. Go back far enough to kill the grandfather of the guy who built the wall.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Probably B.

The law of sod usually means it’s a new bike or pristine part that gets expensively damaged in such a fashion.

andyl
    Free Member

I’ve seen stanchion repairs done with nail varnish before.

globalti
    Free Member

A lot of what you can feel will be metal that’s been raised above the surface so it wouldn’t do any harm to polish it ever so gently with the finest wet ‘n dry or wire wool in the direction of the fork only then something abrasive like car polish, Brasso, T Cut, to try to smooth everything out and reduce the damage to the seal.

If that doesn’t work, off for a proper repair.

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

Try B, and perhaps some nail varnish, if you can’t fix it, then go for C. I would assume that if you can feel it and you keep riding it, not only is it going to drive you crazy it’ll probably do more damage to the forks in the long run!

Wally

My only advise would be;
    a) Strip down fork
    b) Isopropyl alcohol stanchions
    c) Very wet 2400 wet-n-dry to remove any scratch burrs
    d) Matching colour nail varnish (I use a basic gold glitter – cos I have it spare 😯 )
    e) Thin layers and importantly let it dry for a day before buff up with wet-n-dry and repeat every day until your fingers tell you it is smooth as your newly shaved legs.
    f) The alcohol will remove the nail varnish so after the first deep clean only use it to lightly remove any grease from previous layer.

Done several front and rear shocks – all still good. Fork oil does not seem to remove nail varnish in application. Epoxy resin is apparently a better product to use – but harder to do.
    Good luck – it’s work having a cheap punt.

jools182
    Free Member

I did it to mine lifting the bike through a gate

Still annoyed now 🙁

Nail varnish works well

dazzlingboy

Thanks for the advice guys. Going to give it a cheap bodge myself and see how I get on. Still raging with myself. 😥

fbk
    Free Member

I did the same – lent the bike up against a stump on a windy day. Turned round as it crashed down, fork first, onto the adjacent rock. Only a small scratch but I know it’s there and it’s soooo annoying 👿

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘I'm a numpty – scratched fork stantion content.’ is closed to new replies.