Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • I'm 37, which means I'm past it, but why..?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Not literally, but I don’t feel too much different to what I did ten years ago, yet most professional sportsmen have retired by 37.

Why? Is it because of a lack of speed or aerobic fitness? Does the body take longer to heal? Why would I need to retire by now if I were, say, a footballer etc?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

look at it this way, if from now on, on each birthday, you took off 1 year instead of adding one, do you really thing you’ll reach zero?

leggyblonde
    Free Member

It will be due to a lack of speed and recovery from injury Grandad.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

on each birthday, you took off 1 year instead of adding one, do you really thing you’ll reach zero?

How depressing!

flip
    Free Member

Are you a pro?

I’m 42 and have more (sexual?)stamina, patience and general umph than at anytime in my life.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Endurance athletes tend to be older.

yossarian
    Free Member

look at it this way, if from now on, on each birthday, you took off 1 year instead of adding one, do you really thing you’ll reach zero?

Didn’t mork do this?

rewski
    Free Member

Most, there’s a few exceptions

Clitheroe

Giggs

Hermann Maier

I’m 40 and the fittest I’ve ever been thanks to cycling.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Didn’t mork do this?

Actually, I think if you remember Mork, the chances are you won’t reach zero

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I’m (almost) 60 and I’ve just started to feel like I’m slowing down a bit.

The “All Day 8-hour expedition” is a thing of the past.

rewski
    Free Member
    rewski
    Free Member

Mr Woppit – nearly 60? But you act like a teenager 😉

grazedknees
    Free Member

Im 44 and the fittest I’ve ever been.
    I am a physio and there are the patients who have done high intensity sport since they were small and have burnt out by the time they are 40. Then there are the people who took up something new in their mid 30’s and are doing amazing things with endurance skill and power.

I think the research is a little skewed which says that your performance deteriorates as you get older. Classically people have done less as they have got older, (maybe time commitments or slowness to heal).

Dont let age dictate how you feel, just get out there and enjoy.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

rewski – Member
    Mr Woppit – nearly 60? But you act like a teenager

Sur naturaillement, mon petit glace cerise. 😈

Pigface
    Free Member

All that Charlie you whanged up your hooter

rewski
    Free Member

mon petit glace cerise

My small frozen cherry?

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Why? Is it because of a lack of speed or aerobic fitness? Does the body take longer to heal? Why would I need to retire by now if I were, say, a footballer etc?

Football is a sport that requires both strength and speed I think its difficult to maintain both these attributes at the same time as you get older its one or the other.

Also football is highly competitive you have to be at a really high standard and obviously maintaining that performance is even harder.

then there are injuries etc

Im 32 and probably as fit as I’ve ever been but that might mean I’ve never been that fit and probably could have been fitter in the past.

rewski
    Free Member

All that Charlie you your still whangeding up your hooter

MrWoppit
    Free Member

rewski – Member

mon petit glace cerise

My small frozen cherry?

Ah, oui.

BigJohn

I’m 57 and it takes me all night to do what I used to do all night. 😀

And if I chased after a football, by the time I got there I’d have forgotten what I was going to do with it.

loddrik
    Free Member

Bollox to giggs et al. Bernard Hopkins is a lesson to us all!

But my point was a general one. I don’t feel too much different, but the statistics show that in general, we are on the slide as we reach our late thirties. I am just curious why..

rewski
    Free Member

What statistics are you referring too?

mancjon
    Free Member

Like some others have said it really depends where you start from. I’m 47 and until last summer when i fractured my back i can honestly say i was the fittest i had ever been primarily due to mountain biking.

loddrik
    Free Member

How many premier teams are employing 37 year old footballers…

stratobiker
    Free Member

At 37 you’re just right for winning the Paris-Roubaix a couple of times.

Who wants to ba a footballer anyway?

SB

Raindog
    Free Member

How many premier teams are employing 37 year old footballers…

All of them – as bus drivers 🙂

McHamish
    Free Member

I’m 35 in a couple of months…I don’t feel old though. Although sometimes I see old school friends on Facebook and wonder if I look as old as them…I hope not, some look ancient.

I have been looking back rather than forward recently…you know, wishing I’d done things differently years ago.

I train in thai boxing and have been interested in Western boxing recently…but you can’t compete at an amateur level once you reach 34. So the only option is white collar boxing now. I wish I had competed more when I was younger in thai boxing and boxing…too late now.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I have discovered that since my late thirties I don’t get better, fitter or recover as quickly without a LOT more effort.

With my injury regime that means i am always recovering and never truly fit.

Cougar

As you get older, you get slightly slower. In the realms of professional sports, “slightly” is the difference between Manchester United and Accrington Stanley.

*shrug* give a toss. When I was of ‘professional sports’ age I was wet and hopeless; since then I’ve rock climbed, mountain biked, run 10k races, fallen out of aeroplanes, if people I knew at school could see me now they wouldn’t believe it. And the fact that I think “well, it’s their loss” speaks volumes about my mental growth since then too.

Ultimately, how active you are, or aren’t, or aspire to, is down to you irrespective of how old you are.

mrchrispy

if you were a footballer you’d probably be in the nick now for sex crimes

BillMC

54 and going like a steam machine on all bikes (single speed, hardtail, full suss and village).

Kevevs
    Free Member

I’m 35 in a couple of months…I don’t feel old though. Although sometimes I see old school friends on Facebook and wonder if I look as old as them…I hope not, some look ancient.

this is so true. I’m now aged 38. I moved back to my hometown in 2007 after leaving at 19. keep seeing people from school, some of them look worn down, fat, old and knackered already. Which is quite saddening to me.

I think you can keep a visual image of yourself in your head though of yourself at your best and carry it through yer life!. My old man is continually miffed by his reflection. What did you expect!? I’ve found working with younger people really keeps me on my toes.

I’m just as physically fit as I was when I was 19, just a bit fatter. I’ve never been that “athletic” mind.

Fozlett

At 38 years old and now nursing a dislocated shoulder, what i have discovered is that i just don’t bounce quite as well as i used to!!!

Already peeved at not being able to ride though!!

Neil-F
    Free Member

I was always fairly fit due to playing football and fairly physical work, but I stopped smoking 3 years ago after 22 years on the fags. Since then I’ve taken up cycling, I’ve ran a marathon, 2 half marathons, a kilomathon and 3 10k’s. I’ll be running the Edinburgh marathon again this year. I’m 39.
    I know that I’m definately not as agile as I was 10 years ago though, and I do take a lot longer to heal when I get injured. I also make involuntary noises more often when getting up from a seat, or bending down. I would say that experience or wisdom makes up for our lack of speed and agility as we get older. We become more sensible and responsible.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’m just approaching 30. I’m gaining weight, my joints are starting to ache from the pounding I’ve given them over the years, I get back pains from the accidents I’ve had in the past and my fitness is dropping. At 37 I reckon I’ll be dead, or wishing I was.

catfood
    Free Member

I was chatting to an ex Olympic swimmer a while back about getting older and losing fitness, he said that as you get older your muscles become more dense, this makes them stronger pound for pound but they cant support as much oxygen, so you lose some of your stamina.

ronniewilliams
    Free Member

Football is a game that require a complete fitness from a person and its very hard for a 35 to 40 years old person that they continue the whole game due to a lack of speed and body strength.

nickname
    Free Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Couture

He’s 47 now, and stupid fit.

superfli
    Free Member

+1 TheBrick

people our age tend to have more mental strength and stamina than under 30’s. You rarely see 20 somethings doing well in 6-8hr events, so look at it as if you are approaching your prime 🙂

Northwind

I just discovered that at 32, I’m now too old to enter the Seniors class for some races :mrgreen:

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘I'm 37, which means I'm past it, but why..?’ is closed to new replies.