• This topic has 47 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by c.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • I'm 30 in 19 days, help me decide what to do?
  • c
    Free Member

So I’ve gone quickly from lurker to deciding that you can all help me out with decision making. That’s what this forum is for, right? 🙂

So… I’m 30 in 19 days. I’m fed up with everyone asking me how I intend to spend my day, celebrate, and I need some ideas!

Biking would be an obvious choice but I’d like to spend it with my partner and her cycling extends to canal tow path only. 🙄
    I’d like to camp somewhere but this time of year is too cold for any of my wimpy mates.

So ideas, pleeeeeaaaassseee? What did you do? What was the best 30th / 40th whatever th you’ve been too.

I’d like to mark it in some way, but I’m not sure how? 😕

iDave
    Free Member

run a marathon along the canal while your SO cycles

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Your birthday – you do what you want to do

Been treking and camping for significant birthdays, done the big wild party, done the small dinner party, also ignored them

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

TBH I hate any party that is about me. HTH.

Jamie
    Free Member

Your birthday – you do what you want to….

…even have a little cry.

rOcKeTdOg

30? might as well end it all now you old git

or bike holiday of a lifetime in Australia/US (plenty for the OH to do whilst you mince about on your bike a bit)

lunge

I spent my 30th doing an up lift day at Cwmcarn, something i’d fancied doing for a while and my 30th was a good excuse.

Maybe do something bikey in the day and spend the evening with the GF?

stevomcd
    Free Member

I spent mine wading around in a freezing river during a blizzard while doing the river-crossing part of my Mountain Leader assessment.

I do not recommend this.

c
    Free Member

run a marathon along the canal while your SO cycles

Ergh I HATE running (mainly ‘cos I’m rubbish at it)

TBH I hate any party that is about me. HTH.

It wouldn’t be about you, so don’t worry 🙂
    I know what you mean though, I think I’d only do big party if there was someone else with a birthday near mine to share it with and take the heat off me a little 😳

…even have a little cry.

If I want to, if I want to…?

or bike holiday of a lifetime in Australia/US

Sounds amazing but it’s in 19 days and I only have 4 days holiday left to take from work 🙄

Someone must have done something awesome recently?

I’m North West based if it helps.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Get drunk?

c
    Free Member

Get drunk?

At some point in the proceedings I predict this happening for sure 😀

KT1973
    Free Member

Have you ever seen “Logan’s Run”?

c
    Free Member

Have you ever seen “Logan’s Run”?

😯

😥

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

It wouldn’t be about you, so don’t worry

Oh it’s all about you is it?? Me, me, me. Sometimes this place makes me sick!

Anyone want to know about the bike I’m putting together, how I’m getting on with smoking, or any other tomfoolery I’m up to this weekend?

c
    Free Member

Anyone want to know about the bike I’m putting together, how I’m getting on with smoking, or any other tomfoolery I’m up to this weekend?

Aw, I want to know about all of these things 🙂

I also want you to heeelp me find something to do on my birthday before I fall into a crumbling wreck. I HATE making decisions like this. 😐

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Ok.

On the night of your birthday go for a top quality meal with just your Mrs, maybe a couple of really close friends. Insist on some form of bedroom activity (probably just the mrs for this one) that you’ve always wanted to do.
    On the Saturday do something with the boys, biking would be my choice, even stay away for the night, get criminally drunk in an obscure Welsh town / Scottish town.
    On Sunday return to your Mrs who will have a hot bath and decent meal cooked for you, make her feel really special for letting you go off with the lads for the weekend.

c
    Free Member

TSY Now we might be getting somewhere 🙂 Swap the lads for the girls (because I am one) and that sounds good for the weekend.

Except 2 of them are stuck into studying at the moment (phds so full on) and the rest are non bikey.

I think I’ll search out somewhere decent to eat for the night but I’m still stuck for something to do in the daytime.

It a Wednesday, what do you even do on a Wednesday.

Maybe I’ll go for walking, I don’t know why I’m trying to complicate it so much 😕

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Ahh, I see. In that case you need to invite me for the weekend.

Sammie Louise

Wookster

I hit the 30 Mark in about 27 days let me know what’s it’s like will you 😆

No party for me not my thing, beer and cake for sure!! Riding in the day in Wales and dinner with my wife in the pm perfect day!

I have though entered Transwales and the black mountain three day event and bought the bike I have lusted after for about ten years!!!!! Woo hoo!!!

Have a good one mate!

c
    Free Member

Ahh, I see. In that case you need to invite me for the weekend.

Sammie Louise

Hmm. I’m not sure I believe you. I’d need to see some photographic evidence, and maybe a drivers licence.

I have though entered Transwales and the black mountain three day event

This is a god one. Maybe I’ll mark it at another time of the year. Takes the pressure off and means I get to have a sunny (er) birthday celebration. In June maybe? 🙂

Have a good one mate!

You too!

lunge

Enter Megavalanche or the Fort William Endurance downhill. I have only ever ridden a downhill track once and have entered the latter as a treat to myself. Would have done the former but money is tight.

Do something you have always wanted to do but never got round to. Go somewhere you have never been to. Or, sit in your pants and play PlayStation all day, either way it is better than being at work.

soma_rich
    Free Member

I am off to Wales for my 30th. Will walk up Snowdon, bit of riding bit, some good food and some very good company!

Why is 30 considered a mile stone? I dont feel any different to when I was 20-29

sniggletrack
    Free Member

It’s non bikey but what about an off-road rally driving day? Learn from a pro, have a go yourself and I think some places let your SO be a passenger too. Followed by a strong nerve calming drink 🙂

c
    Free Member

Why is 30 considered a mile stone? I dont feel any different to when I was 20-29

Me neither. I hadn’t even really thought about it until the whole blinking world started asking me how I was intending to mark it!

I’m now thinking stuff em. Going to do something outdoors, probably a walk somewhere good, maybe a swim outdoors and local if I can hire the gf a wetsuit. Massive dinner, few beers. Done 🙂

Luminous
    Free Member

I jumped out of a plane on my 30th.

Flippin excellent !.

Happy birthday for 19 days from now.

😀

c
    Free Member

sniggletrack – I can’t drive 😳 on the list of tasks which I must complete now I am 30 and an actual adult.

I jumped out of a plane on my 30th.

Oooo. I like this. 🙂

Luminous
    Free Member

Oooo. I like this.

Static line for me, as I wanted to push myself out of the plane.

I believe that now you can do something called “accelerated free fall” where I think they get you up to free falling in a very short period of time. Maybe two instructors go out the door with you initially.

Anyway, I went to Sibson skydive, near Petertborough.
    Two days, Saturday was all day training, Sunday morning training, then in the afternoon JUMP !.
    It was ace.

Good thing too was the plane had a camera on the wing, so I have pics of my first and second jump.
    It was good stuff.
    😉

chojin
    Free Member

I’m also hitting the big 3-0 this year and to celebrate/commiserate I’ve decided to do something I’ve never done before… I’m going on a snowboarding holiday!
    I literally have no idea how to snowboard (or indeed ski) but here’s hoping I learn quick :]

dan1980
    Free Member

My girlfriend at the time promised me a birthday I’d never forget.

She was cheating on me at, and dumped me on the day of my 30th birthday.

To be fair to her, she was true to her word, I’m not likely to forget that in a hurry!

c
    Free Member

Dan that’s awful 😥 sounds like you’re better off without her though (if you don’t mind me saying)

Jamie
    Free Member

dan1980:
    My girlfriend at the time promised me a birthday I’d never forget.

She was cheating on me at the time, and dumped me on my 30th birthday.

To be fair to her, she was true to her word, I’m not likely to forget that in a hurry!

Sorry, I lol’d. 😉

*buys dan an internet pint in sympathy tho*

I was thirty in 2009….spent it in Athens as my brother lives out there. Was really nice as his missus cooked a cracking meal and I got to play with my nephews who I see infrequently.

…so I would suggest a cheap, if there still is such a thing, weekend euro-break somewhere.

Wookster

Dan what a complete ( insert a word to get me a life ban from stw). Let’s hope she now has the clap……

c
    Free Member

Let’s hope she now has the clap……

😆

toby1

I arranged Karting – got a few friends together, had some food and a few drinks in the evening, spending it with people you like/love is what makes it special not what you do 🙂

Either way, do something you want to do, not something you feel you HAVE to do.

Elsa
    Free Member

If conditions are good, drive up to Aviemore for a days skiing / boarding. Stay in YHA / BB overnight. Go out for curry and beers.

I’m NW based too and if it keeps raining, kayaking is pretty good up here.

Cougar

When I turned 30, my then-gf organised a party for me; it was 200 miles from where I lived, so two of my friends made the journey and the rest were her mates and neighbours. Ho hum.

In hindsight, I’d echo what others have said; do what you want to do, whether that’s spending time on your own, with your partner, with friends, or all of the above. I think I’d generally want to tick all three boxes. Do you have any sort of budget in mind? A bottle of Chateau De Plonk and a pizza is considerably cheaper than learning to skydive (which I can tell you all about if you’re interested).

Travis

on my 30th.. I decided to ‘experience the orient’.. been here ever since.
    got my 40th towards the end of the month.

What ever you decide to do, just enjoy the moment, you can’t replay it

c
    Free Member

I’ve just booked the Wednesday, Thursday & Friday off work 🙂 so now have 5 days to kill.

Do you have any sort of budget in mind?

Hmm not really. I have a bit of dosh set aside so could have a stab at anything under a grand I guess really. (This makes me sound flash – I’m not!)

I’m actually scared of heights – although I LOVE the idea of sky diving i’m not sure I’d actually get out of the plane. I got myself ‘stuck’ in an attic recently playing extreme hide and seek. 🙂 Apparently my arms are strong enough to pull me into a roof crawl space but my mind isn’t strong enough to get me to jump back out of it 😳

c
    Free Member

on my 30th.. I decided to ‘experience the orient’.. been here ever since.

Wow, that’s pretty cool 🙂

yowser
    Free Member

im also 30 very very soon and have been debating the big questions as to what to do for a while now… have come to the conclusion that as long as your doing something worth while it doesnt really matter what, who, where! Is it really such a milestone anyway?
    The future father in law is having a 50th the day before so im gonna hijack that, get trollied with him and the family and have a nice simple meal with some friends on the big day… no birthday would be complete without some serious miles this weekend with the lads though 🙂 and as long as it doesnt compare to dan1980’s b’day it’ll be grand!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘I'm 30 in 19 days, help me decide what to do?’ is closed to new replies.