Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • Illigal to drive in Flip flops
  • beinbhan

Anyone know the law wife thinks its illegal I just think it pretty stupid but not illegal. She also thinks driving in bare feet is illegal as well

jam-bo

Why is it stupid?

mrmo
    Free Member

i don't think it is specifically illegal, but i think if the police pull you over you could be deemed to not being in full control of the car. Also know someone who managed to get a flip flop jammed under the accelarator, luckily it was on a Motorway and they had enough time to get it unstuck, in an urban situation they may not have been so lucky.

nbt

Why is it stupid?

if you have to ask, should you really br driving?

Legally, not it isn;t illegal, apparently

http://www.mirror.co.uk/advice-old/motoring/judge-tread/2007/07/22/ok-to-bare-your-soles-115875-19494041/

Bloody stupid, yes, but not illegal

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Driving in bare feet is illegal in Scotland.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/9784/Shoes+driving+us+to+distraction

Although it might not be specificly illegal in England & Wales, I reckon you could probably get done for it – not driving in a safe manner/whatever

whippersnapper
    Free Member

i find driving in bare feet better than a lot of shoes to be honest. Flip flops a big no no though.

CountZero

The problem is they're not secure on your feet, they can get caught in the pedals causing loss of control, and bare feet stop you from applying full pressure to the pedals.

MikeT-23
    Free Member

On the rare occasions that I have an excuse to wear flip-flops I find it tricky, and thereby very annoying, to drive a car in them, so try to avoid it. Even riding a bike in them's a bit of a bugger, as is running.
    If I forget to change into more sensible shoes then I just drive barefoot, which isn't so bad.

From experience, I can see why the lack of 'bond' betwixt foot and flip-flop can lead to reduced control over pedals, causing concern for safe driving practices, but 'illegal'? Never heard of that before.
    Also, given my good fortune in being able to visit hotter climates in my lifetime, where many more people wear such footwear and drive daily, surely they manage without legislative intervention as I've never heard of it being outlawed elsewhere.

Flaperon

I used to drive everywhere in America in bare feet, flip-flops were uncomfortable and I promise you that it's still possible to stamp on the brake if needed.

jonb
    Free Member

What about spd shoes?

Drac

Lots of women drive bare footed as they may have been wearing high heels, claiming it stops you apply full pressure pedals is daft no reason why it should.

thomthumb
    Free Member

law does not mention 'flip flops'

i think it's phrased as 'appropriate footwear' i assume that it's up for a copper to make an interpretation on this and a judge to make a decision.

driving barefoot gives me a weird pain – so i've stopped. spd shoes ok to drive in.

Top.Dog
    Free Member

flipflops and spds ok for me

CaptJon
    Free Member

My driving instructor suggested i drive without shoes because i couldn't feel the bite point of the clutch.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

claiming it stops you apply full pressure pedals is daft no reason why it should.

Unless you pick up a sharp object (small stone, piece of glass, thorn etc) onto the sole of your foot. No such risk if you're wearing shoes.

Drac

Unless you pick up a sharp object (small stone, piece of glass, thorn etc) onto the sole of your foot.

Where would you get that from?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Where would you get that from?

You haven't seen the footwell of my van, have you?

allthepies
    Free Member

>Unless you pick up a sharp object (small stone, piece of glass, thorn etc) onto the sole of your foot. No such risk if you're wearing shoes.

Never had a stone, piece of glass, thorn etc get into your shoes ?

aracer
    Free Member

Well if it is I'm an outlaw. You can flame me all you like, but they don't fall off my feet, and I don't really see the problem.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Never had a stone, piece of glass, thorn etc get into your shoes ?

No, not whilst driving. Have you ?

Drac

Never had a stone, piece of glass, thorn etc get stuck on my foot when I've taken my shoes off in the car.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Never crashed your car either I take it – as a result of not having any shoes on ?

Excellent. And I have never had a crash during all the countless times I've driven without a seatbelt.

The law is bollox ain't it ?

Spongebob
    Free Member

I keep a pair of clogs in my car for such eventualities. If i get caught out in a blizzard, i can then use them for firewood.

aracer
    Free Member

And I have never had a crash during all the countless times I've driven without a seatbelt.

Wow. I'm amazed you've managed that despite how seatbelts prevent you having crashes.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

i assume that it's up for a copper to make an interpretation on this and a judge to make a decision.

That's how I would assume they would apply the law.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I believe that theory is that seatbelts are effective in the event of a crash aracer. Since I have never had a crash in which a seatbelt would be useful, I have come to the conclusion that the seatbelt law is both pointless and complete bollox.

soobalias
    Free Member

I can say for certain it is not Illigal.

and since when was the law quoted from the mirror or the express?

aracer
    Free Member

Ah, but do you know of people who seatbelts have saved, or are you aware of such people existing?

Have you ever heard of anybody having a crash because they weren't wearing shoes?

soobalias
    Free Member

however i would always wear shoes to drive paulosoxo's van.

Spongebob
    Free Member

Maybe ernie should cut off his seatbelts and make them into a small bag for automotive oddments

tandemwarriors

A family friend embarrasingly ran into the back of my mother in law. He was driving in flip-flops & it got trapped under the gas pedal & he couldn't brake. Fortunately only 15mph in traffic, but his Imprezza needed a whole new front end. Mums Yaris had barley a scratch!

Del

claiming it stops you apply full pressure pedals is daft no reason why it should.

try it.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

An excellent idea Spongebob 8)

I am btw the proud owner of a car which due to it's age, has no legal requirement to be fitted with seatbelts.

….it frightens the **** out of me driving it on motorways though 😯

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I've driven in ski boots. That's quite unnerving and I don't think I'll be rushing to do it again.

epicyclo

Drive in bare feet and also flipflops a lot in Oz. Can't see any problem. Maybe we're more used to it here.

Zone
    Free Member

Where do we stand on sandals ?

😉

Drac

try it.

Done loads of times and never hurt a single bit.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Drive in bare feet and also flipflops a lot in Oz. …….. Maybe we're more used to it here.

And yet it would appear that you may not be legally insured if you wear thongs (flip flops) whilst driving in Australia. According to the Darren Davis School of Motoring in Australia :

"You must not wear shoes that are loose around the heel part of your foot. It could get stuck under your foot or pedal. There is also an insurance issue. If you have an accident and the Police spot that your footwear is not appropriate, your insurance could be voided."

http://www.bestdrivers.com.au/html/faqsl.htm

Toddboy
    Free Member

Same as epicyclo. Drive around lots in barefeet and flip flops (thongs over here). I have never had a problem with it. Majority of people here do it. Might be a little different down in Victoria or Tassie where it's cooler.

Anyway, the British summer is never long enough or hot enough for flip flops 😆

specializedneeds

Since when has lots of people doing something been a mature or intelligent justification for joining them 🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Illigal to drive in Flip flops’ is closed to new replies.