Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Ile de Re bike hire
  • simonstevo
    Free Member

We’re going to Ile de Re next month for a family holiday, staying at Sunelia Interlude which is near Le Bois-Plage-en-Ré.

The bike hire places I can find online all seem to focus on basic looking mountain bikes or heavy looking shopper type things.

We haven’t been before but looking at photos of the cycle paths there, I’d say a gravel bike or hard tail would be ideal for touring around with the family and also getting out for a few solo, longer distance rides.

Can anyone recommend a decent bike hire shop that might have this kind of bike? Plus if you have any experiences worth sharing…

The other option is taking my own but I’ve been told I should have booked it the same time as the flight (Ryanair).

pondo

The cycle paths are great, mostly tarmac and they’re all over the place – hybrid or road bike would be the way forward. It’s dead flat but can be windy – can’t help with the hire question, we took hybrids which were perfect for the job.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

First of all good spot for a holiday it’s a beautiful island.

Can’t help with bike hire shops but I would say don’t worry too much about it, the paths are better surfaced than they look. We had the standard 26″ utility/shopper style bikes that all the hire shops rent out and they were fine for getting all around.

Be sure to get over to La Flotte (best in the morning so you can buy lunch in the market), Saint-Martin-de-Ré (best anytime for the ice creams) and it’s worth taking the bus over to La Rochelle one day too just for the (slight) change of pace.

[edit]
    Agree with above, it can be windy. Embrace it and take a kite.

llama

Been there quite a few times, stayed at that exact site in fact.

All the cycle paths are tarmac or quiet roads.

I have done:

hardtail – fine for pottering about. No offroad that isn’t a sand dune. Don’t do like me and take SS because it will be spintastic unless you up the gears. Fatbike might be good for the sand.

road bike – boring. Biggest climb is the bridge to get there. Plus some drivers get shirty if you don’t ride on the cycle path, which makes it hard to get a good rhythm going. Did see a local chain gang though.

hired a sit up and beg – For pottering to the market / beach / restaurant ideal and no hassle. Not cheap if you add it up for a whole family.

If I was flying I would hire a BSO and take it easy, not worry about getting it stolen, not worry about the right shoes, and a basket to put your picnic in.

Other tips: Avoid driving. The market in Bois Plage is awesome if you like seafood. St Martin likewise. St Martin for harbour side eating and pretending you arrived by yacht. La Flotte is quieter, cheaper, but not as good. The lighthouse is a bit crap but you will go anyway on the day it rains. Bois Plage is the best beach so don’t bother finding another. The kids will like the odd chocolate shop in the middle of nowhere.

simonstevo
    Free Member

Cheers fellas, that’s all really helpful. Thanks for the tips on places to visit, too.

Llama, am I right in thinking BSO = bike shaped object?! I had one of those last year in Italy and actually did quite a few miles on it – good training! And did you hire yours from the site?

tomaso
    Free Member

I hacked along on either a hardtail 29er or my preferred choice for shop runs – the wife’s step through hybrid with panniers and a front basket. It is a great place to cycle about. Being able to load up panniers or racks with gear for the beach and bring some shopping home is much better than driving around on tiny busy roads.

Phare des Baleines is a pleasant spot and has a descent beach, a market and some cafes.

llama

bike shaped object

Have hired from the site and also from some old guy doing it as a sideline from his shed, somewhere near the wine coop. There are quire a few hire places.

simonstevo
    Free Member

Cheers, I’ll look out for the bloke in his shed!

Thanks Tomaso, too, I’ve heard that Phare des Balinese is worth a visit.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Ile de Re bike hire’ is closed to new replies.