Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • If you'd like to support small business rather than Google, please click here.
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

They create in whichever part of their business[country]which pays the lowest tax …DERR we all know this.

Clearly they do make alot of profit here they just arrange their business so that they pay this profit in whichever geographical country has the lowest tax burden on them. TBH its preposterous to argue google is set up as such for any reason other than tax minimisation.

what precisely do you plan on blaming them for?

Really you work in this area, read my posts and i have been unclear…..Either engage or dont but dont do this.

go after the cayman island tax dodgers, but just because google determine where they want to have their profits taxed (based on a judgement of where profit is created)

We all know thy base the decision on what allows them to pay the least tax. I suspect they would even admit this- though only if it has no tax implications and wont cost them 😉

Why are you being so deliberately thick/obtuse /misleading on this subject

you know loads so why do this tabloid shit and ignoring the issue?

Stoner
    Free Member

because its clear that no-one else in here can answer the question of how much profit is generated in the UK.

Screaming for google to pay MOAR TAXES!!!! is embarrassingly simplistic. I am not being obtuse, I am pointing out the naivety of the level of argument being used.

How much more tax? another £1m? £100m? how much is enough? why? on what? revenue rather than profit? should they be treated differently to other companies?

molgrips
    Free Member

should they be treated differently to other companies?

Possibly. It might not be such a bad idea to tax internet based services differently to ‘real world’ ones. They could sure as hell log the IPs of their search or ad requests and HMRC could get a reasonable idea of where their activity was happening.

Junkyard
    Free Member

ITs fine to raise complexities related to tackling what they are doing

It’s not fine to pretend they are not doing it just to avoid tax nor to say yu dont know what the objection os or to caricature the argument as those who object are “screaming pay moar taxes”- C’mon stoner you are not this type of poster.

As far as I am aware – this deal aside- the argument they should pay more was accepted by all but those who like free market/big business/trade[ trying to be as neutral as i can there ] Hell even the tory party dislike google’s practices…..well at least whilst the electorate does 😉

aracer
    Free Member

I understand the difference – I did mention costs. Clearly the only way they’re not making profit here is if their real costs of operating here are the same as or more than their revenue. Do you honestly believe that to be the case?

aracer
    Free Member

Which of their doners is losing out? Makes you think…

cheers_drive

Should individuals, contractors, small companies, corporations all pay a fair amount of tax? Yes of course, but that’s not possible to enforce with the hideously complicated tax system and the inability of all countries to react to modern global business practices. There was a program on this week about how the rich avoid takes – it showed how much more complicated the tax rules have become – the UK are the most complicated in the world and the documentation is 3/4 the size of the Encyclopaedia Britannica!
    So whilst I do not have an issue with small businesses and contractors paying what is fair what I do have an issue with is that the government takes easy pickings whilst leaving those corporations with large legal and tax departments to carry on regardless. It’s not a level playing field at the moment and the new dividend tax will make it worse.

2 years ago I set up my own consultancy business, for now it’s just me but I have plans to grow it in to a proper business, I am not a contractor, or in IT, but some parts of what I do have some relation to contracting so I occasional go on contractor.co.uk and the selfish mercenary attitudes of many on there is very telling and re-enforces what many above believe. The funny thing is that it is usually big businesses who benefit from this again as they no longer need to burden of having people of the pay roll.

I think a scheme for individual contractors / freelancers such as used in Germany is not a bad idea to help different them from proper small companies with employees and growth plans but the government should be concentrating on the corporations first.

agent007
    Free Member

So whilst I do not have an issue with small businesses and contractors paying what is fair what I do have an issue with is that the government takes easy pickings whilst leaving those corporations with large legal and tax departments to carry on regardless. It’s not a level playing field at the moment and the new dividend tax will make it worse.

Yes it’s this I was referring to with the reference to Google. This and the fact that those taking the risk to set up a business (not as a contractor) but as a proper business, possibly employing others, possibly generating exports are being lumped into the same category as contractors.

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘If you'd like to support small business rather than Google, please click here.’ is closed to new replies.