• This topic has 50 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by smurf.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • If you were to heat a house "from scratch", how would you do it?
  • DrP

Looking into a house that needs a bit of ‘doing up’..
    Though this may be a pain, having the place apart and then putting it back together again could afford me the ability to have things like trapdoors, laser beams, and secret slave quarters.
    It could also allow me to have underfloor heating etc etc..

Obviously this would all be an expense, but I was thinking that if you were to have a ‘blank canvas’ of a house, how would you heat / power it??

Are those smart thermostats (hive/nest/ much cop?

DrP

Stoner
    Free Member

Passivhaus/ultrainsulation Mechanical Heat Recovery Ventilation, solar gain through window into slab, Mains Gas Combined Heat and Power combi with solar thermal collection/tank primarily for Domestic Hot Water. Wood stove for additional air heating in winter just for the effect. If you did all the above right you wouldnt even need a stove.

jam-bo

I’d spend the money making sure the heating requirement was minimal.

Edit:

Or what Stoner said.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

hypocaust

Junkyard
    Free Member

Wood burner fed from outside with a small slope so I could feed entire trees and they would just slide down as they burnt without me doing anything

Sustainable and easy to do

Probably heat water run from a ground source as well,

Underfloor heating is poor IMHO

SaxonRider

First thing I would do is insulate the house properly, from top to bottom. Then I would probably look at a combination of under floor heating and woodstove.

SaxonRider

Why do you think under floor heating is poor, Junkyard?

Edukator
    Free Member

No heating yet this Autumn and the solar hot water has been enough for a shower without electic top up on all but half a dozen days. 22°C in the house with overnight temperatures outside about 10°C lower. I’ll replace Stoner’s gas combi thing with lots of PV panels, and a 1,5kW electric radiator which is all you’ll need if you can’t/don’t want to light the wood burner.

Our house is close to passive but doesn’t have the heat recovery ventilation system. The wood burner needs air and leaving the bathroom window open provides air and ventilation enough. However, in mild and damp weather if we don’t light the wood burner at least once in the day the humidity goes up so a HRVS might get installed one day (though probably not as it’s so easy to open windows and light up).

PV production currently 6A, at mid day it was 8A.

qwerty
    Free Member

Gyrating naked lovelies.

freeagent
    Free Member

We went through this last year, as we effectively demolished our bungalow and started again.

After much deliberation we decided to stick with gas fired heating/hot water, and to put as much insulation in as possible to minimise losses.
    (which considering we have 6m of bi-fold doors across the back of our house was a concern)

Not very inventive I know, but we just could justify the large capital outlay of ground source heat pumps or similar.

mrben100
    Free Member

I’d insulate as much as possible so the fabric of the building gives the efficiency.

Then, zoned UFH throughout except bathrooms/ensuites where I’d have electric heating mats on the floor and some areas of wall.

90+% efficient boiler with weather compensator.

I’d ignore all bolt on renewables.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i would take different approaches dependant on the construction of the house.

if i was doing a new build i would be passivehaus as possible.

retrofit passivehaus isnt always possible/desirable/cost effective.

globalti
    Free Member

I would certainly dry-line every outside wall with Cellotex then plasterboard backed with polystyrene; we did it to a cold bedroom in an extension and are amazed at how it has transformed the room. Obviously the ceiling needs to be well insulated as well.

Then I would install a small gas boiler and small radiators or underfloor heating.

Edukator
    Free Member

I’d ignore all bolt on renewables.

Why?

Since installing the PV over five years ago we’ve consumed 9700kWh and produced 17300kWh. Financial break even is only 6.5 years. The solar hot water heater will pay for itself in about 11 years. The wood burner paid for itself instantly in that is was cheaper than replacing the combi boiler would have been. It consumes about 2m3 of wood a year which would cost around 150e if I had to buy it.

Edukator
    Free Member

retrofit passivehaus isnt always possible/desirable/cost effective.

It’s always possible, always desirable and cost effective if you think long term. Houses generally last hundreds of years.

As an example I worked out that triple glazing rather than double glazing would take over thirty years to pay for itself which is probably longer than I’ll live. But then I realised that the deeper frames would allow more insulation around the thermal bridges around the frames and save more energy than the extra layer of glass. So somewhat less than thirty years and we have the extra comfort for as long as we live/ stay in the house..

hot_fiat

Dry lining is ok, but you lose internal space, features & character. External cladding in insulation & a render coat is much better for old properties.

Some of the trick heating controls from honeywell look quite interesting. I particularly like the ITTT integration meaning that as the outside temperature starts to fall the heating preemptively kicks in before the building starts to cool off.

wrecker
    Free Member

Houses generally last hundreds of years.

Have you seen Uk newbuilds?

I particularly like the ITTT integration meaning that as the outside temperature starts to fall the heating preemptively kicks in before the building starts to cool off.

Weather optimisation and compensation is a strategy used in many commercial buildings (and has been for decades).

Stoner
    Free Member

+ 1

rather than dry lining, if the building can take it, Id always aim to externally clad and insulate and get thermal mass on the inside of the insulation boundary. Then max out solar gain potential.

teacake
    Free Member

mrben100 – Why wouldn’t you use UFH in bathrooms? Why electric pads instead?

trail_rat
    Free Member

“It’s always possible, always desirable and cost effective if you think long term. Houses generally last hundreds of years.”

until the uk allows property to be passed on to kids or i live to be hundreds of years old- ill stick to my original statement.

trail_rat
    Free Member

mrben100 – Why wouldn’t you use UFH in bathrooms? Why electric pads instead?

for me it would be because it means the boiler doesnt need to be on in summer – when its still desirable to have the heated floor on to dry up the damp and avoid mank grout. but i dont want to run the boiler just to heat the floor…. doing it again i would also fit a hybrid towel rail as our towels dont really dry in the summer

Edukator
    Free Member

We have a wooden floor in the bathroom. And a sponge. Family members are also trained to sponge down the shower after use. The result is a relatively low-humidity bathroom.

trail_rat
    Free Member

im pleased – how ever solid concrete floors mean that wont work for me.

i refer to my first statement – it would depend on building construction.

teacake
    Free Member

The best (quickest and least energy intensive) way to dry towels is with good airflow. Heating a wet thing with no forced convection is extremely slow/energy intensive/expensive.

Edukator
    Free Member

Towels are taken outside after use to dry (covered area).

trail_rat
    Free Member

so what alternative then ? hang it out on the line in the fresh air to dry- where it could get even wetter due to the rain when we are out all day ……

did i not mention i would have solar when i do that;)

molgrips
    Free Member

I would put a heat exchanger in the loft and pipe the heat back down under the floor.

Have you seen Uk newbuilds?

I’ve seen a few Victorian builds that are shocking by today’s standards, and they are still up and being traded for large sums.

Building quality is self selecting anyway – there have always been crappily built houses, but the old crappy ones have either fallen down or been pulled down.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Why?

Since installing the PV over five years ago we’ve consumed 9700kWh and produced 17300kWh. Financial break even is only 6.5 years. The solar hot water heater will pay for itself in about 11 years. The wood burner paid for itself instantly in that is was cheaper than replacing the combi boiler would have been. It consumes about 2m3 of wood a year which would cost around 150e if I had to buy it.

Depends on your aim, in the long term that’s not sustainable. Everyone can’t generate twice what they consume any more than they can conume twice what we generate, so it’s cost effective to do, but not sustainable. Also when you get to 7 years+ payback you may be better off financialy just bunging the money in a savings account and using that to pay the bills. The advantage of that is the account never needs replacing, whereas the PV pannels degrade over time (10% in 10 years is average), and PV pannels are full of all sorts of nasty heavy metals. Summary: There are a lot of reasons why people may not want PV.

I’d go for lots of insulation, a woodburning stove if you live in the countryside and have access to wood, a heat recovery/exchanger ventilation and normal central heating.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“a woodburning stove if you live in the countryside and have access to wood and are not contributing to the heavy smoke that seems to feature about 5pm in all our towns and citys now that wood burnings fashionable. ”

jonba
    Free Member

Remove as much of the need for heating as possible. Try and reclaim some of the heat lost and stop it escaping.

After that underfloor heating. Mainly because I would love to be able to walk round in bare feet (not possible in my current house) and radiators are ugly and take up wall space.

Edukator
    Free Member

I don’t know where you got all that false information about PV panels, thisisnotaspoon. Try the Solarworld site for more accurate information.

They guarantee production for 30 years with a 10% reduction over 21 years rather than the 10 years you claim. There are probably less nasty heavy metals in the panels on my roof than in the device you are posting from and solar world have recycling programme for their panels. In the five years we’ve had the panels there has been no measurable reduction in production.

My savings account yields about 1%, the panels yield 15%.

PV is most definitely sustainable, the energy cost of making them is repaid in 2-4 years depending on latitude and the materials can be recycled. They are of course intermittent energy which means storage solutions need to be built into the grid, pump-storage for example.

Edukator
    Free Member

Just insulating under a floor means you can walk around barefoot in comfort, jonba. I put 120mm of recycled polyester under our wooden floors, happy feet.

sharkbait
    Free Member

solar thermal collection/tank primarily for Domestic Hot Water.

Nah. Solar thermal is losing popularity because it’s a one-trick pony and involves too much in the way of tanks/pumps/dump/etc
    Surplus generation from Solar PV can be easily used to heat your hot water/air as well as anything else electrical.

Oh yeah…. and you get paid for producing power.

maccruiskeen

my own bespoke system would basically be a heating system run from a water jacket around a tandoor oven. A hot bath with fresh naan breads as a by-product

Edukator
    Free Member

If you can put the tank above the panel then you don’t need a pump. Solar thermal is more efficient than PV to heat water unless it’s very cold. The only problem is that there are no/less subsidies than with PV so the pay back period is longer, 11 years in my case.

Stoner
    Free Member

Solar thermal is far more efficient than PV though. 90% of radiation can be turned into heat, whereas PV efficiency is, what, 20%?

You would need a substantially bigger PV array to match the water heating power of Solar thermal.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Maybe but I don’t care. I have a 3KW PV system on another house and an immersun-type device that sends spare power generation to a 250l tank and in the summer months the thermostat on the tank has tripped by 7.00am and the power is then sent either to a storage heater or out to the grid thus earning me money.
    Even the knowledgable guys on Navitron have come to the conclusion that a PV system set up this way is better than solar thermal.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My savings account yields about 1%, the panels yield 15%.

PV is most definitely sustainable, the energy cost of making them is repaid in 2-4 years depending on latitude and the materials can be recycled. They are of course intermittent energy which means storage solutions need to be built into the grid, pump-storage for example.

But is the feed in rate from the pannels the same as the cost of electricity, or is it subsidised?

Who pays for the pumped storage, and what about the embeded energy in that? In the UK about half our pumped storage is in Dinorwic, which can generate 1.5% of the winter peak demand for about 5 hours. And Dinorwic is mahoosive, about the capacity of a big coal fired station and built under a big mountain! There aren’t enough mountains with lakes on top in the UK to replicate that enough to make solar sustainable!

I’m not saying solar is bad, but it doesn’t really meet the definitions of sustainable, the finainces are skewed by subsidies and it’ll never be practical on a large scale due to the storage issues.

Edukator
    Free Member

The cost of PV production is higher than the cost of grid electricity in the UK but lower than grid electricity in Germany so you should forget the idea of subsidised (the nuclear industry wins the prize for the most subsidised) and think in terms of cost, factoring in the cost of climatic change in any fossil fuel generated power.

If enough people start PV production for the excess to be a problem there are solutions in addition to pump storage. The Italians have intelligent metering which controls appliances and there is a potential for significantly flattening the daily demand curve:

Under cooling freezers before demand peaks.
    Over heating water in low demand times (this would require mixers on hot tank outlets to avoid scalding).
    Low demand storage heating.
    Running appliances at low demand or high production periods (we do this manually, the washing machine runs on dry sunny days when production is high and the clothes can be dried outside).
    Limiting maximum current draw in demand peaks – exceed the amperage some circuits shut down with an audible warning to give time to reduce demand – hob, oven, kitchen sockets.

Our electricity contract has a maximum draw of 30A. Even my literary genius wife knows that if she has a couple of hob rings on, the oven, the microwave and wants to put the kettle on it’s best to turn one of the other things off first.

Changing working hours in energy greedy industries to match supply.

wrecker
    Free Member

I’ve seen a few Victorian builds that are shocking by today’s standards, and they are still up and being traded for large sums.

And despite that theyll still be there when all of the new builds are a pile of rubble, or a pile of insulation, matchsticks and plasterboard.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘If you were to heat a house "from scratch", how would you do it?’ is closed to new replies.