Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • If you were getting a custom frame, what would you spec?
  • psychle
    Free Member

What would you spec if you were going down this route? Interested to see what people come up with 8)

Me, I think I’d be aiming for a really versatile beasty, something that would be at home with a 120-150mm fork, ‘all-mountain/trail’ geometry (something like the Ragley ‘nu-skool’ angles perhaps?), swappable dropouts for SS or geared action, ISCG tabs (just in case), tapered steerer, maybe even a splittable seatstay to have the option of running a belt drive if the fancy took me… internal cable routing would be nice, just to have the clean look really… hmmmm, wonder if I’ve missed anything? 😆

Clembo
    Free Member

Sliding dropouts
    internal routing for brake cables
    New fangled headtube size thingy so Its futured proofed
    Forward facing seat clamp
    Maybe hub gear routing

cynic-al
    Free Member

I already did 😎

Sliding dropouts (why have seperate ones for SS?).
    Full braze ons (gear cables under BB).
    130mm fork (no need for shorter) IMO.
    Slack angles (then fashionable)

I’d go for a steeper seat tube now and maybe a belt drive option. I’m never going to be rad enough for ISCG or tapered forks, and internal cables are rubbish.

psychle
    Free Member

Yes, sliding dropouts are a better idea I’m sure. These look nice:

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Something that took the best parts of my Soda and my BFe and put them into one frame.

So:- Titanium; best with a 140mm fork, but able to take a 160mm; the toughness and tracking of the BFe but the zing and comfort of the Soda. Probably a 1.5 headtube so I can use an internal top headset cup and keep bar height sensible, ISCG mounts, 31.6 seat tube for dropper posts. Clearance for a 2.5 tyre

jools182
    Free Member

an electric motor

TheSwede
    Free Member

Three three top tubes 😯

psychle
    Free Member

Only the one top tube please… don’t understand why you need more!? Apart from to look a bit different I guess? 😆

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

EBB rather than sliding dropouts? Simpler / lighter / stronger?

psychle
    Free Member

Would consider an EBB, who makes the best one?

llama

There is no point in a custom long travel hardtail because its only going to get abused, and if it isn’t why have the travel? I would prefer something classic so …

light and flexy
    100mm
    long and not too slack maybe 70/73
    sliding drop outs
    full length cables, under top tube, zip tied
    2xbottle mounts, chain hanger
    no mudguards or rack

Sam

psychle – Member
    Would consider an EBB, who makes the best one?

Phil Wood

MrNutt
    Free Member

an Orange Alpine 160 front triangle, 07/08 Subzero back end… …I wish!

vinnyeh

I’d tend to agree with llama, but if you’re going down the longish travel route, I’d want a seatube and guides for a dropper post and remote.
    If you’re going to do the beltdrive thing, then investigate a removable/bolt on rear triangle ala Mantis/CR7/Tranny. Could be a laugh.
    Tapered headset for a cane creek angleset should you get the headangle wrong. 🙂

Oh, and a custom Jenn Green head badge.

Retrodirect
    Free Member

I like my bikes to ride a bit more backwheel happy (I’m a skinny whippet type so prefer shorter stays to hold the front wheel up) so I would go for something short travel, steep, short CS for popping (rubbish) manuals with a low BB to keep it a bit more planted in sprints…

If possible I’d kinda like gold lined obscenely-floral (think hetchins) bi-laminate lugs on an Ivy green MTB frame with a drilled BB and wishbone stays,
    71/73 with a long toptube to use a 70mm stem and wide flatbars. Low BB (280 or so), supershort chainstays (390-405) for singlespeed, setup for an 80-100mm fork. Trackends. Really low toptube a la Evil/dialled

Current vanity chariot custom is (yes I’m lucky enough to own a custom yin, in yer face) a clearcoated fillet brazed, 69/73 with a medium toptube to use a 90mm stem and wide flatbars. HIGH BB (310mm), supershort chainstays (405mm) for singlespeed, setup for a 130mm fork. Sliding drops, 460mm ST C-T, standard stays and a condor Aero road bridge.

Did that mean anything to anyone? Can you tell I’ve been thinking about this too much?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I dont get the 456/ragley nu’skool angles, the seats are wayyyyyyy too steep for efficient climbing with a lockdown fork, fine with a lockout, but not lock-down.

Start with a 456, run with tall 6″ (or a 7″) fork, an inch off the BB, and a lowered top tube (either cannondale prophet, dialled alpine/evil sov style I’m not fussed), shrink the top tube by just a bit off the 18″, make the seat tube infront of the BB so the reach shortens with the saddle down (thus keeping it out the way).

iain1775
    Free Member

full outer cable routing
    post mount rear disc mount
    adjustable wheelbase
    maxle dropouts (or swappable)
    ISCG tabs
    capable of running a 140 fork with tapered headtube so its adaptable / future proof
    forward facing seat clamp
    sensible seat tube diameter, none of this 27.2mm
    cable routing for a dropper post, but bolted on (like a Ragley) not brazed so if not using one the tubes are neater (ie they supply two sets of bolt on bosses, one for just brake and gear, one for brake, gear and seatpost remote and you bolt on whichever you need)
    good mud clearance
    custom laser etched graphics and my own designed metal head badge

oh and Titanium

SSB_UK
    Free Member

I’d go for a cargobike – xtracycle standard but able to accommodate humungous rims like Surly’s Rolling Darryl / Large Marge – low standover height, frame mounted front portage rack. Kind of like a pugsley big dummy cross – which has been done before. Custom everything – crank arms, sweep handlebars, stem.

Probably not the standard STWer dream bike.

Craggyjim
    Free Member

I’d like to see more pics of that frame that Psychle posted. I’ve often wondered about internal hydraulic routing for the rear disc brake but couldn’t work out a suitable way of getting it past the seat post or BB.

joolsburger
    Free Member

4 inch travel, heavy duty Ti single pivot, square section stays a la nicolai geometry a like a heckler but ti. Fat down tube, thinner sloping top tube, normal head tube not OS. Post mount, internal cables if poss.

mr_mills
    Free Member

Cannons.

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

Rohloff dropouts
    Bushnell EBB
    Designed for rigid forks
    low bottom bracket
    Rack and mudguard mounts
    Tidy cable routing
    Wonky down tube

like this:
    http://www.zen202900.zen.co.uk/bike/pics/IMG_2188.JPG

rkk01
    Free Member

Tandem with Emily Batty specced as front seat rider? – IGMC

slowrider
    Free Member

65 head, 75 seat, 23.5″tt, 16″ st, long wheelbase, low bb, not sliding dropouts or ebb (ive broke both) but maybe modular ones so maxle/ss etc an option. 1.5 ht, preferably no longer that 120mm to keep front end height sensible. forks up to 160mm, iscg, no bottle mounts or cable guides etc, just clamps to go round the tubes so you can add and remove as you please. clearance for dh tyres. make it as stiff as poss, let the tyres and forks do the absorbing

brant
    Free Member

slowrider – sounds ace 🙂

messiah
    Free Member

Two.

One – slight modifications to my Nicolai Helius AM – almost the same but slightly longer top tube and uppy downy post mounts… that is all (although in reality probably not worth doing).

Two – New hardtail. To suit a 160mm 36 Float fork and big brakes. 1.5 headtube, 73 x 65 angles and a nice long top tube. Low top tube for standover and ISCG for HammerSchmidt. Lower bottom bracket than a few bikes I have tried. Full outer for all the cables and an uppy downy post. Adjustable dropouts and BIG tyres.
    Make it from Ti… it’s a dream bike after all.

VanHalen

a suspension corrected sunn bmix would be good.

cant be arsed with this long and slack fad. i like corners.

finbar
    Free Member

Bottle openers on every tube end. You can never have enough bottle openers.

bassspine
    Free Member

psychle – Member

Yes, sliding dropouts are a better idea I’m sure. These look nice

Wrong. They look bloody gorgeous.

Retrodirect
    Free Member

slack is a pig for the twisties.

bedmaker

I’m about to embark on building my own.
    Columbus Zona steel, 29er.
    HA 69 deg, Head tube 1.5″ for tapered forks.
    Longish Top tube with short stem
    Very short stays, 420mm, maybe slightly less, with the ability to take the biggest tyres currently available with a bit of mudroom.
    83mm BB to make the above possible and 150mm rear end to match.
    Fairly low BB.
    Full cable routing
    ISCG05

Clink

I’m about to embark on building my own.
    Columbus Zona steel, 29er.
    HA 69 deg, Head tube 1.5″ for tapered forks.
    Longish Top tube with short stem
    Very short stays, 420mm, maybe slightly less, with the ability to take the biggest tyres currently available with a bit of mudroom.
    83mm BB to make the above possible and 150mm rear end to match.
    Fairly low BB.
    Full cable routing
    ISCG05

Can I hav eone too please? 😀

ir_bandito
    Free Member

You guys ever heard of Kingdom Bike Project? You want to put your ideas on there, you never know, you might get one!

crazy-legs

Something in Ti, a hardtail that’s light but can take a 120-140mm fork (maybe knocked down to 100mm should I fancy some XC racing). Basically a really gorgeous all-rounder that would last pretty much forever. Oh and it’d be raw Ti, none of this polished rubbish.

No idea about geometry of it though. I really like my old Cove Stiffee but then I really liked the totally different Cotic Soul when I rode one of those.

GW
    Free Member

So basically you don’t have a **** clue? 😛

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

A Ti hardtail with “Nu skool” angles so I can ride down sets of stairs without falling over the handle bars.

Adjustable “on the fly” dropouts so I can lengthen the chainstays which will give me extra (much needed) stabilty when I come to a tricky, high speed descent at my favourite trail centre.

2 inch headtube (so its future, future proofed)

Probably gold plated, custom head tube badge (based on the BMW design)

Mount for an M61 Vulcan cannon (just in case)

GaryLake
    Free Member

Something like a Cotic Soda with sliding dropouts and XX44 head tube.

specializedneeds

If I was going for for sliding dropouts, I would have a post mount version made. Seems so obvious to me, especially after going to the effort to make something as lovely as the pic above. Would cost a little more, but worth it for the kind of frame that would warrant those dropouts in the first place.

kiwijohn

Hmmm?
    Maybe I’d get Rivendel to make me a rendition of my DMR Switchback.
    & no stupid sliding dropouts either, they just look hideous. Just nice simple Breever style.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

steel

27.2 seatpost

slack

full outer cabling

140mm fork

lightish

swop-outs (the DMR patented thing) so I can SS/Rohloff etc.

top swing front mech

mega curvy seat stays

standard, non tapering steerer please.

not too long a TT

maybe take that three finger thingy that Ragleys have on the chainstays

would like a polished steel look under the lacquer

caliper mount on the chainstay (I like the way it looks, and assume it would let you build in a bit more compliance on the seat stays = comfy)

filed down welds to make it look a bit titaniumish.

free.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘If you were getting a custom frame, what would you spec?’ is closed to new replies.