Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • If you were building a bike to look retro then what colour would you choose?
  • 2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I’m thinking copper, or maybe some sort of metallic brown, silver finishing kit & wheels.
    What would you choose? Or perhaps you have already chosen, In which case pics would be fab!

Cheers.

wiggles
    Free Member

metallic burgundy

amplebrew

I had pretty much the same thought when I got my Dekerf and ended up going for an Olive green colour with black components.

I keep looking at the amber walled Panaracer Dart and Smokes from Bike Discount and have so far resisted. It’s probably only a matter of time though.

IMG_0887 by Ample Brew, on Flickr

IMG_0897 by Ample Brew, on Flickr

JoeG
    Free Member

Black.

robdob
    Free Member

The colour won’t make it look retro, it’s what you build it with that’s more important.

But as long as you don’t use any of those horrible primary colour gaudy computer techno graphics that every modern bike is plastered in you’ll make a good start. 😉

postierich
    Free Member

turquoise finishing kit a bright paint job!

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Well say I was starting with this

Now I like the colour, but not the decals, I have some nice condition retro’ish stuff to hang on it, so what is one to do?

tinribz
    Free Member

adrec
    Free Member

That metallic purple the konas used to come in in the late 90s, with grey p2 forks of course. Either that or the Marin look, with silver frame and turquoise forks and stem

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Now that I like, but maybe less carbon & maybe a bolder colour 😉

amplebrew

I’d go for silver components on the blue frame and get a silver seat clamp to match.

martymac

i have a charge filter hi, which (i reckon)is a similar colour to that duster, and it does indeed look like a retro road bike, well, until you notice the disc brakes anyway.
    i reckon its more to do with the ‘old school’ skinny tubes than the colour, more modern looking alloy or carbon frames have larger diameter tubing.

duckman

The white splatter paint job of the 1986 cinder cone,thread closed.

mattbee

Get Johnrock from the Retrobike forum to give it a Klein linear fade paint job with debossed decals. Costs around £300-£400 but looks amazing in a mid 90s way, especially if the tubes are a bit fatter.
    Garnish with either silver kit or as much purple anodised alu tat as you can find.

slackalice
    Free Member

No one mentioned purple ano finishing kit yet?

Nobby

Fat Chance ‘Aqua fade’ or Klein or Dekerf…….

qwerty
    Free Member

Black with fluro paint spatter should do it.

Reluctant
    Free Member

Nice frame, OP. I love my Duster in it’s very retro fluro yellow guise. This picture is from when I first got it, but it now features purple seatpost and bars for added taste and subtlety 🙂

kayak23

Woodchip

…..or copper brown. Would look awesome.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Nothing remotely retro looking about any of the photos posted on this thread.

I think the whole point is that retro cannot be created from modern parts. It just is.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Dull orange that used to be red, like my 95 Rockhopper 😀

unovolo
    Free Member

Depends what era your trying to recreate, if your looking at 40/50’s then probably Black or Maroon.
    60/70’s then you could look at some metallics as well.
    80/90’s already been covered above, most retro style bikes now made by manufacturers have Silver finishing kit with Brown saddle & grips ala Cooper bikes.

unovolo
    Free Member

My “retro” bike

P20

It’s already been done, the new Ritchey frames

pictonroad

Cream.

Pieface

A plain colour like red. Maybe in metallic too.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘If you were building a bike to look retro then what colour would you choose?’ is closed to new replies.