Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • If you were a northerner staying near Ross-on-Wye….
  • grum
    Free Member

Where would you go biking? I’m doing a family thing for most of the week but planning to take bikes and hopefully an extra few days at the end. Obviously South Wales is quite close, never been to Cwmcarn or Afan before – worth a trip?

Quite like the sound of the Quantocks but that means driving further south and back again (it’s painful enough having to endure being south of Manchester TBH 😛 ).

Any suggestions? Anything good local to Ross-on-Wye area? Ta.

psling
    Free Member

Well, the Forest of Dean is a 30 minute ride away for some excellent wooded singletrack, a fast and furious waymarked loop and some marked DH courses (plus uplift if required).

Bit of info here

PaulD
    Free Member

Cwmcarn is only 45 minutes away, down to Newport and ‘back up north a bit’.
    You can do the full Twrch trail a couple of times or get the shuttle up (~£4 on demand) and do the DH courses a few times or just the Twrch traverse and descent.
    The last part of the Twrch down to the carpark is excellent.
    If pressed for time, ride up the tarmac to the big U bend to eliminate some of the struggle.

In my opinion it is better than the FoD.

Afan is a long way, very often wet (its own microclimate; poor) and not worth the extra 120 miles now the Penhydd is no more.

PaulD

Stoner
    Free Member

as much as I miss penhydd, I wouldnt say that that’s all afan has to offer. The wall and whites are worth doing back to back as W2.

psling
    Free Member

Having suggested the FoD above, if you’re there this week then the Wyedean Motorsport Rally takes place on Saturday so not the best day to visit (unles you like forest stage rallying!).

PaulD
    Free Member

Stoner,

I have had a couple of the best days UK riding at Afan when the weather has been good, but several more where it has not rewarded 350 miles round trip.
    Last good day was W2 both ways starting at Glyncorrwg (sp?), then Whites twice, so 4 climbs and super descents. Seems I have it off my to-do-again list now.

Cwmcarn is much more convenient for the OP and has the XC course, freeride playground and the DH courses as well as a shuttle on some days. My time and money would be at Cwmcarn this time.

PaulD

Rickos
    Free Member

Lots of Ross locals could show you some good stuff in the local woods. Or as psling says, FoD is close enough to ride to. Cwmcarn’s OK – only a 9ish mile lap, so do it twice if you feel like. Afan is ace. I love Whites and W2 is just awesome for a longer ride. Fair old trek from Ross though.

grum
    Free Member

Great, thanks everyone. FoD and Cwmcarn sound good – I like a bit of ‘light’ DH too so uplift could be great.

Are the DH tracks in the FoD signposted?

Probably want to keep driving to a minimum as we’ve got to get back ooop north so it sounds like Afan is out really.

kayak23

Most of the FOD dh tracks start from the the same area and are signposted too.
    Just ask around and if you’re on the uplift, follow folk. Short but sweet…

psling
    Free Member

Are the DH tracks in the FoD signposted?

Yes, but you will need directions to the starts (if that makes sense 😀 )

grum
    Free Member

Excellent. Just found a map on the uplift website, doesn’t look too complicated. 😀

fuzzhead
    Free Member

Ross is where i grew up – deffo the FoD, especially if you have the family in tow

gwaelod
    Free Member

Mate

If you are going to Afan from Ross on Wye take the A465 Heads of the valleys road like in this google maps link. You won’t be parked anywhere near the caff, but it’s a much shorter journey, and you’ll be almost on the Skyline trail.

http://g.co/maps/3gweu

At point A on the google map link is the fireroad link road from the Skyline trail marked on the official Skyline maps as Treherbet Mountain Bailout – Official map here – http://mbwales.com/en/content/cms/centres/afan_forest_park/skyline/skyline.aspx

You can do half the skyline…descend to the caff…have a bite to eat..do the wall….coffee at caff..ride up the skyline to your car.

Epic day and only 1hr18mins away according to Google.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Quantocks are very good riding especially if you can get one of the locals to guide you. Some of the best riding I have ever done.

You are that close I wouldn’t want to miss it

hugor
    Free Member

Interesting how peoples tastes differ. Living in Cardiff I’m almost identical distance to Cwm Carn and Afan. I hardly ever go to Cwm Carn. Afan even in the worst conditions delivers for me.
    Each to their own

T1000
    Free Member

natural trails in the Brecon beacons would be my choice especially if it stays frosty

davidxbrown
    Free Member

Cannop Cycle Centre in the FOD is only a 15 minute drive or an hours riding from Ross, if DH is your thing and you don’t want to ride or push up then the uplift is http://www.flyupdownhill.co.uk/ or there is loads of singletrack.

Theres a group that ride from Cannop Cycle Centre on Wed night meeting at 6.30pm very friendly bunch of lads.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

dude – if you’re in Ross, you’re quite a way from the Quantocks. Cwmcarn, FoD or Bristol are your closest/bestest bet. As above, you’re super close to FoD, so that’s your best bet

hisdog
    Free Member

If you fancy hooking up with another Northerner marooned in the South West (admittedly for quite a while now), you’re welcome along:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/its-them-again-da-stw-cotswold-massiv-this-sunday-12th?replies=7

grum
    Free Member

Thanks again everyone. FoD sounds like a winner but will probably venture home through Wales as well.

natural trails in the Brecon beacons would be my choice especially if it stays frosty

Got any recommendations?

Cheers hisdog – not down there ’til April though!

tonyg2003

Lots of options really. My in-laws live just outside Abergavenny so when I’m down there I have the option of the Breacons just outside the door (lots of guidebooks available) with some big days out (last issue of ST?). If I’m in the mood for a trail center its 20-30mins (add 30mins from Ross going A40 – Usk)to Cwmcarn and 50-60mins to Afan (again add 30-40mins). Cwmcarn is a hour round on the XC trail and but Afan is bigger days out – for me. If you are into “light DH” Cwmcarn probably sounds best.

grum
    Free Member

Thanks tony.

So….. next question – anyone recommend anywhere to stay around FoD or from that way heading into Wales north-west ish? Probably bunk-house/YH/B+B type of thing.

I’m guessing I might need to book as it’s going to be a bank holiday.

Rickos
    Free Member

The Fountain Inn is a good bikey place to stay – http://www.fountaininnandlodge.co.uk/

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘If you were a northerner staying near Ross-on-Wye….’ is closed to new replies.