Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • If you thought you had 6 months to live, what would you do?
  • DT78
    Free Member

Another chap my age at work has cancer. I’m told its the bad type. Wife , 2 young kids. Sobering. Got me thinking about what I might do differently if I only had 6 months left with the wife and boy…

Cougar

Probably contract a lot of STIs.

hora
    Free Member

Leave work now and travel

brooess
    Free Member

write out a list of fun things to do, and do them all + go and see all the people i care about and say thank you for what they’ve given me and say my goodbyes

rene59
    Free Member

Easy. I would have fun for 5 months, doing everything and anything I wanted to do. The last month however, I would go on a killing spree, taking out all my enemies, and all those people I can’t stand before I go.

iolo
    Free Member

My mates dad was told he had 3 months tops. He went from a massive rugby player, six foot tall and six foot wide to a shadow of a human. I actually didn’t recognise him at first when i went to visit him in hospital.
    He spent that time making videos. One was for his wife and kids and the other was for the funeral. The day of his funeral there was a video screen set up. We all sat and watched him talking about his life, tales from years of rugby playing and mixed in were some of his favourite jokes. All of it was virtually un broadcast-able full of swearing and tales of what went on on tour.
    Following the actual burial he had arranged for a roc n roll band to play at his local, organised the food and had put five grand behind the bar. That party didn’t stop for four days.
    People still talk of that week now even though it was ten years ago.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d get a 2nd opinion.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Well I’d probably have another doughnut for a start.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

My Dad had three months and all he wanted to do was spend as much time as possible with the people he loved .

hora
    Free Member

Seek out Lucy Liu and woo her. Woo her so well that she cries at my funeral 8)

avdave2

I used to work with a guy who’s consultant told him he needed to get his affairs in order as things looked pretty bleak. The first thing he did was to marry his girlfriend. That was over 20 years ago now and I heard from a friend who’s still in touch with him that he married for the 4th time last month. I guess he used up all his luck back then

grum
    Free Member

Take up wingsuit base jumping. And what Cougar said. 🙂

chewkw
    Free Member

Prepare my love ones for my inevitability – like saying goodbye to them.

Give everything away to my love ones etc. I should only be left with some clean clothing – nothing else.

Then empty my mind from worldly desire. i.e no more attachment.

On the death bed I shall not think about this world and all the attachments I have in this life.

Constantly keeping my mind blank and empty by letting go of everything.

Finally, just as I am passing I call out … Freeedoommm! (with a big grin on my face – which in itself is an attachment so might not do that)

Then I judge you in the afterlife … 😈

edit: the best way to die is in your sleep peacefully … but do empty your mind prior to that if you know you are dying.

yunki
    Free Member

I don’t think you can truly know until you are really faced with it..
    My other half had a terminal diagnosis and it changed her outlook in ways she had never imagined.. Spending time with her loved ones was top of the list.. Learning acceptance was a close second

There are a huge number of variables that could effect your options and choices..

Thankfully she is still with us 10 years later

chewkw
    Free Member

IMO the more you attach to this world the harder it is to die and the more suffering you will have.

Most people have difficulties dying because they still have attachment to this life i.e. unfinished business or simply too much worry, which will not do good for your afterlife.

Ya, I know the scientific mind would simply say you turn to carbon whatever … Alternatively, you do not want to leave your “energy” wondering the living world.

Everyone will die one day but it is the way you die that matters.

yunki
    Free Member

Yeah, there was a shedload of meditation and Buddhist philosophy involved in the process of her learning acceptance..

chewkw
    Free Member

yunki – Member
    Yeah, there was a shedload of meditation and Buddhist philosophy involved in the process of her learning acceptance..

Ya, letting go might sound easy but it is Not as it is the hardest practice of all to deal with.

edit: what scare the shite out of me was the panic attack I had that happened to me many years ago resulted in some sort of suffocation. I thought I was going to die and it was not easy. Once I gave up on the fear of dying I recovered. Before that, damn I thought to myself, as I felt fear creeping up on me … Then I investigated the reasons of my fear of dying and I found out that I still have some unfinished business in this living world. Dammit!

ratherbeintobago

I don’t think you can truly know until you are really faced with it..

This.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Wow, chekw in “sensible post” shocker!

chewkw
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member

Wow, chekw in “sensible post” shocker!

😆 I think I need to charge fan club membership fees as my fans are building up …

Torminalis
    Free Member

Can’t be sure, less work for certain.

MSP

Sarah from accounts.

northernmatt

We’ve got this far in with no one mentioning coke and hookers?

I’d just pack the car up and take Mrs Matt and minimatt away through Europe just to see where we ended up.

bearnecessities

1. Commit the fraud I stumbled upon many years ago that would probably net close to a million (and it would take more than 6 months to notice)

2. Do lots of good things for people with the money and helping as many as I could, be it getting directly getting people off the street, fronting motgage deposits for people on min wage or nuking Wonga’s head office.

3. Convince Kelly Brook to go for a drink.

Die happy 🙂

banks
    Free Member

I lost my step sister this year to cancer. Less than 6 months from diagnosis to death, likely that if he’s got 6 months to live he’ll be lucky if he gets an evening home for tea with family. So I guess if I knew what was coming up I’d have one last family tea, ride, dog walk & top myself – savings in the bank for someone’s holiday.

alpin
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/yruArw21EGA[/video]

Something similar to that…. ^^

Or just mope around and cry.

nickc

Sarah from accounts.

what’s stopping you?

MSP

The restraining order!

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Unfortunately, it tends not to be 6 months of good health them boom dead. But if I only had 6 months of good quality life left I would spend it making sure that my kids were going to be OK once I was gone.

imnotverygood

I’d probably have a go at all the gnarly, technical stuff I’m normally too scared to attempt.

welshfarmer

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Granddad did….

Not screaming in fear like the passengers in his car

padkinson
    Free Member

My dad was pretty much in exactly this situation, and he spent 30 grand on a campervan and drove around the British coastline following the closest roads to the sea possible, starting in Essex. Sadly he only got to Wales (via the south coast) before he was hospital bound, but it was a nice final few months for a man who loved the sea and coast.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Pee through the letterboxes of 10 and 11 Downing Street.

Oh and spend six months with my missus.

chewkw
    Free Member

I grandma died in the arms of my mum and aunts shouting “… it hurts please do not drag me” with her arms trying to shake off something … She was shouting to someone in front of her. I think She was dragged off by death by force. She was never delusional until the last moment of her death.

weeksy

Cry a lot!

benji
    Free Member

Definitely wingsuit, because what’s the worst that could happen.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

I always read this stuff and think its such a shame that these things temporarily make us stop and think what’s important. And its those things like our family and friends that are truly special and often short lived in the grand scheme of things. Then we forget and carry on. Life can be thoroughly ****. Live, love, and laugh. Bollocks to misery, its a wasted energy!

bearnecessities

Definitely wingsuit, because what’s the worst that could happen.

Whist respectful of some of the posts on here, I lolled at that 🙂

Candodavid
    Free Member

Lost Mrs C but 4 weeks ago, in the last 6 months of her life she could barely do anything, she spent most days asleep in a morphine haze.
    If you can do anything in the last 6 months it would be get your house in order, she did, still bloody hurts though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘If you thought you had 6 months to live, what would you do?’ is closed to new replies.