Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Rant: IF you see ANYONE lighting up a portable BBQ or fire in the Peaks
  • hora
    Free Member

Please challenge them, you might not think it’s not the business to get involved or do anything but it is. The more we get involved, challenge maybe this world will be abit better.

Yesterday in the Peaks I was told today a Ranger(?) Unimog was ruined, a firefighter had to be airlifted to hospital and a fire engine left trapped overnight.

A farmer and a couple of locals told me today that when they’ve challenged people before over disposable bbq’s or trail fires all they get back is abuse. Why is that right?

The farmer also said they’ve given up trying to talk to people who light them in Fairholmes due to Rangers get abuse back there too.

Challenge, ask them what they are going to do with their rubbish. Make it difficult and a pain. If just two passing parties do this on one occasion maybe they might foxtrot Oscar away or think.

The farmer also told me that yesterday people were moving the road closure bollards and driving in and setting up impromptu summer bbq’s by the roadside!! Even given what was happening….and relax

plyphon
    Free Member

Could the local “authorities” (whoever they are of the area) think about making “BBQ Safe areas” where there are bins appropriate for used BBQ’s, waste food, etc, and safe spaces to put a hot BBQ tray (stone slabs or whatever)?

That really is the only way to minimise damage/rubbish/etc – giving people the provisions to BBQ safely and cleanly.

Pasty white English folk always gonna light a BBQ regardless.

hora
    Free Member

Imagine getting those past the ramblers/people who watch out for keeping the Peaks ‘pristine’…

philxx1975
    Free Member

Please challenge them

so they can knock my teeth out when they get all uppety and snotty…no thanks

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Could the local “authorities” (whoever they are of the area) think about making “BBQ Safe areas”

The problem is the people that would use this expensive investment don’t need them supplying in the first place, as they are already the responsible ones.

D0NK

Imagine getting those past the ramblers/people who watch out for keeping the Peaks ‘pristine’…

well it’s better than dickheads burning half the place down isn’t it?
    We were discussing this at work this morning, in Oz they have BBQ areas down by the beach and places like that, anyone can use. BBQ areas might not be a bad shout. Doesn’t stop errant cigarette fires and actual arson of course.

nickjb
    Free Member

We were discussing this at work this morning, in Oz they have BBQ areas down by the beach and places like that, anyone can use. BBQ areas might not be a bad shout

More that that. You can drive miles out of town then more miles down a dirt track deep into the bush and still find one

Northwind

hora – Member

Yesterday in the Peaks I was told today a Ranger(?) Unimog was ruined

That’s good going, usually all I ruin on the bbq is sausages. I keep dropping them in the fire, see?

Onzadog
    Free Member

How about a test you have to pass before you’re allowed unsupervised in the countryside? I can’t believe people can be so **** stupid.

Once you’ve passed the test, you earn point by going out in the winter when it’s cold and wet. These point can then be cashed in so you can use the countryside during warm dry periods.

I must be a grumpy old man as I hate that the great outdoors seems to be “on trend”. I preferred it when there were fewer of us out there.

molgrips
    Free Member

In national parks in Finland they build huts in the woods with a fireplace on one side and a barbecue grill on the other. They even chop and stack wood for you.

scotroutes

What we really, really need to do is give folk who want a BBQ / fire so much grief that they do it in wooded areas where less folk will see them.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

The issue here is a sense of responsibility and societal cohesion.

Seeing as in my experience you can actually get a smack in the chops for challenging anyone over anything these days (litter, abusing a homeless guy), and that people actually can’t actually see how “well it gives the litterpicker a job” is utterly stupid…. I dispair. Perhaps we should just instaprint a 2D bar code on all purchased items that are commonly turned into litter and tracable to the card that purchased them….

mildbore

I saw the fire smoke around midday when I was at the cairn at the western end of Cut Gate. I’m amazed it was a bbq because it was halfway up a hill on open moorland, not yer usual scumbag spot. I also picked up broken glass at 2 separate places on my ride, a fire hazard on open moorland.

welshfarmer

What we need is a District 13

Failing that, a revolution in order to reduce social inequality

And since neither of those are going to happen any time soon (the first is more likely than the second however I reckon!) then perhaps education and better provision of suitable areas for BBQs/open fires as seen in most of continental Europe to be fair. Even within the forests of central Portugal in high summer you can still enjoy a fire and BBQ at most picnic areas in the fireplace provided.

SaxonRider

Only YOU can prevent forest fires!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vmEzMUjPvo[/video]

pictonroad

Wouldn’t happen down South, we’ve all got Webers with lids.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I’m up for the revolution, if you promise not to eat all* the veggie sausages on the plentiful BBQs that follow.

*Ask a veggie, this** always happens.
    **”…aaand I’ll have a veggie one to try as well.” When there’s already only a smattering of veggie food.

bodgy
    Free Member

Hora – all the points above withstanding, I absolutely loath disposable barbecues. In coastal Dorset we have a similar problem, typically tourists and / or fishermen loading up at the supermarket, having a barbecue on the beach and quite often just walking off afterwards, leaving all their litter and lit barbecues behind them. It really boils my piss, if you’ll pardon the expression.

Aside from the fact that they seem to think it’s acceptable to enjoy the natural environment and then systematically degrade it, aside from that; those things are terrible. Wasteful, difficult to recycle and they make your food taste of lighting chemicals. The charcoal is usually from rainforest clear fell.

Personally I think they should be banned. It’s not that difficult or expensive to buy a basic portable barbecue and use locally and sustainably sourced charcoal.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Last time I tried to have a picnik in a field, I ended up bringing two disposable BBQs back, and ALL their rubbish including poundland tongs that the previous twerps had abandoned.

So, seconded, total PITA.

project
    Free Member

So you drive to an isolated place, drag a few trays of charcoal to a nice spot, set fire to it, and cremate a few sausages and some cheap iceland burgers, stinking the area out, liberally scatter the contents of a pound shop barber q special offer carrier bag of stuff around the area, shove a few empty cans in rabbit holes, or jam in rock crevices and then drive home, leaving all your crap there.

and sometimes if yore lucky youll set fire to the gorse/heather and put a huge strain on the fire service, who would rather be helping people trapped in a fire than beating a fire down on top of a large hill.

Hope it never catches on.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

It’s The Peak anyway.

#fail

belugabob
    Free Member

I’m up for the revolution, if you promise not to eat all* the veggie sausages on the plentiful BBQs that follow.
    *Ask a veggie, this** always happens.
    **”…aaand I’ll have a veggie one to try as well.” When there’s already only a smattering of veggie food.

The same thing happened with my alcohol free beers, last week. I was the only driver, but it didn’t stop everybody else helping themselves. 🙁

hora
    Free Member

Bodgy I said today alot of adults are simply ‘grown-up kids’. They think everyone owes them something, they can’t be questioned and if they are they get angry. I reckon alot had hands off parenting in the 90’s+

They feel they can do what they want. It’s cultural and a problem that’s growing here. In my youth you called a Police officer sir, nowadays it seems the respect ain’t there.

iain1775
    Free Member

Could the local “authorities” (whoever they are of the area) think about making “BBQ Safe areas” where there are bins appropriate for used BBQ’s, waste food, etc, and safe spaces to put a hot BBQ tray (stone slabs or whatever)?

They have these in all the a Country Parks in Hong Kong too, big areas near the car parks (and further afield) dedicated to barbecuing, they always seemed well used with a great atmosphere
    But then I guess people in other countries are generally more civilised and respectful than the UK

Waderider
    Free Member

I think they should ban city folk from the countryside.

I’m not joking. And yes, that includes you.

I’m proud my only prejudices are against fat people and visitors to the countryside…..

bodgy
    Free Member

Hora – yup, agreed. Without wanting to sound like an old fart (but inevitably i will) I wonder if social media has led to a normalisation of entitlement, resulting in abnormal outrage if they are challenged? Dunno . . . there’s probs somebody with a big nose and letters after their name that will have studied it.

Ultimately, it’s a matter of self respect to take responsibility for oneself and one’s own mess; if the polluters don’t respect themselves then they’ve lost my good will. Sod ’em.

batfink
    Free Member

This is one of the first thing that struck us after moving to oz….. people just don’t litter.

You can go down to our local beach after a day like this:

…… and find virtually no litter at all.

More than that, there’s virtually no antisocial behavior – not seen a single fight, nobody passed-out drunk, and no police presence.

Granted, it’s slightly different round the corner at Bondi (mostly due to the number of Brits), but certanly still better than any large gathering of people in the UK.

Taking a step back has really made us realise that in the UK we certainly do have an issue with our

sense of responsibility and societal cohesion

rickmeister

Festival tent mentality… Where it’s become the done thing to buy a pop up tent and all the trimmings and leave it and walk away… It’s now the norm.

votchy
    Free Member

unfortunately many people are just plain stupid, unless there are specific instructions/signs etc on how to do everything they do not seem to have any common sense, too many acts of stupidity have gone rewarded in the past (scalding from a Macdonalds coffee and maccies being sued and losing because the cup didn’t have a warning on it is one example) so unless there are big signs everywhere the idiots will just use the ‘no one told me that would happen’ excuse, as stated above it also boils my piss that people are not held accountable for their actions when someone else can be blamed for not putting a warning on an item. Start teaching kids that the world can be a dangerous place and the consequences of their actions (not allowing kids outside when it is wet in case they fall over is an example of creating this sterile environment where there is a lack of appreciation of the consequences of their actions, I learnt not to run round corners in the wet by falling and grazing my knee, not by being kept inside!!!)

Sorry for the rant but people need to be taught common sense now as it seems to have disappeared.

Sancho
    Free Member

unfortunately since we are a nation of dumb shits WHO are allowed to do what we like, its not going to change, no point ranting on here about it.

and its only going to get worse.

montgomery
    Free Member

a revolution in order to reduce social inequality

How does that help?

Where I currently live, the over-entitled middle class kids hang out on seats right next to a bin but simply drop their litter where they stand. Sometimes it looks like they’ve simply entered the bin onto the floor. I’ve raised it with the school next to this area – no result. I raised it with the kids themselves, got the ‘there’s a guy paid to pick it up’ line – and ended up having to walk away before I smacked one of them.

On the train into Bristol two months ago, some Rapha wearing roadie clown wheeled his bike on and sat opposite me, eating his oranges and bananas, putting the skins in the bag between his feet – or so I thought, until the train emptied out and he moved to an empty aisle. At which point I realised he’d just been dropping them on the floor and left them there. I called him on it, suggesting he put it in the bin behind him. ‘Oh, I didn’t see it,’ was his reply. Yeah, that generally happens when you make no effort to look for something. All those gel wrappers chucked in bushes – that’s not deprived inner city kids doing that.

It’s not a class issue. It’s people who just don’t give a f£cK.

ianfitz
    Free Member

The fire reportedly started under crowstones edge. That’s 4 miles and around 800 feet of ascent from the nearest road – which would have been shut on the Sunday.

I find it, let’s say, odd the the standard road side mob would have walked for an hour and a half each war with BW and coolbox to BBQ up there…

There are other groups using the peak who burn the moors, under the guise of land management for grouse. It would be interesting to find out what they know about this.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Where I currently live, the over-entitled middle class kids hang out on seats right next to a bin but simply drop their litter where they stand

Yep, this. Snobby wee shites seem to think that it’s someone elses job to pick up after them.

The fire reportedly started under crowstones edge. That’s 4 miles and around 800 feet of ascent from the nearest road – which would have been shut on the Sunday.

I find it, let’s say, odd the the standard road side mob would have walked for an hour and a half each war with BW and coolbox to BBQ up there…

There are other groups using the peak who burn the moors, under the guise of land management for grouse. It would be interesting to find out what they know about this.

Aye, good point, though to be fair, I passed a discarded disposable BBQ just before the deer fence on Goatfell on Saturday. That’s about 1400ft from the start of the climb, which goes straight up from sea level. Lovely spot for a bite to eat, but f*** me, how hard is it to take yer shite back down with you??!!

welshfarmer

@ianfitz. There are strict times set aside for burning for heather moorland management. Specifically these are outside the breeding season (which we are now well into). They also need to be done with fire brigade approval of prevailing conditions and are kept under control by men with beaters at all times. It is very seldom that a controlled fire will get out of hand.

Many many grouse, lapwing and other ground nesting birds’ eggs will have been destroyed by this fire. No gamekeeper would want that.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Assuming that all gamekeepers operate within the laws is a stretch.

thepodge
    Free Member

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    Assuming that all gamekeepers operate within the laws is a stretch.

Why would they burn their income?

mindmap3
    Free Member

No ideas for a solution but people are stupid.

On the train into Bristol two months ago, some Rapha wearing roadie clown wheeled his bike on and sat opposite me, eating his oranges and bananas, putting the skins in the bag between his feet – or so I thought, until the train emptied out and he moved to an empty aisle. At which point I realised he’d just been dropping them on the floor and left them there. I called him on it, suggesting he put it in the bin behind him. ‘Oh, I didn’t see it,’ was his reply. Yeah, that generally happens when you make no effort to look for something. All those gel wrappers chucked in bushes – that’s not deprived inner city kids doing that.

It’s not a class issue. It’s people who just don’t give a f£cK.

I was at Cannock last summer and someone was complaining that there were no bins on the trails and he had no where to put rubbish! How about in the bag that you took it in the first place?

ahwiles
    Free Member

welshfarmer – Member

Many many grouse, lapwing and other ground nesting birds’ eggs will have been destroyed by this fire. No gamekeeper would want that.

hang on, i’m just going to pretend for a moment that any gamekeeper gives a single **** about lapwings.

no, sorry, i couldn’t do it.

maybe a hen harrier nest was discovered, burning down a hillside would probably pass a gamekeeper’s mental filter for a proportional response.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Why would they burn their income?

I’m not for a minute suggesting a gamekeeper would purposefully set a fire to burn on such a scale, but merely that they are not the jolly, honest keepers of upland moors that some folks think they are, and they are also capable of burning more than they intend. It is very easy to misjudge conditions, especially with the warm winds experienced at the weekend.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

You’ll see when keepers have been burning it’s done in strips to provide fresh heather shoots and cover and it’s done in winter. i imagine its a lot easier to shoot a hen harrier that burn a moorland, including your grouse chicks, in the hope that it’ll forget what hot is and fly into the flames and if they’d discovered the nest then they wouldn’t need to burn it to destroy it. You’re talking shit. There are good keepers and bad but neither of those populations would have done what you’re suggesting.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Rant: IF you see ANYONE lighting up a portable BBQ or fire in the Peaks’ is closed to new replies.