Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • if you lived in Sheffield and had a full day to ride, where would you go?
  • Pook

I’m tempted with a dash to Snowdon…

banks
    Free Member

Clayton Vale.

cp

peaks epic. and ride all day rather than driving

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Do an epic with Paul and have hora walk round for a bit of it

steveh

Access ban/restriction still in place on snowdon so you’d have to be up very early or late.
    What sort of riding do you want/like?

dawson

North Yorkshire or Lake District?

But would be conscious of driving time versus riding time

Pook

Damnit. Snowdon’s out then.

Steve, I love the typical dark peak riding. James…. Sounds…. Like the exact current plan

discoduck
    Free Member

I’d go………..

UP Jacobs ladder, off the back and round to Kinder & Down the fast grassy bit, UP to the shooting lodge and down tother side left on road into Hayfield and UP the mother of all climbs Down Roych Clough & up again before dropping down Chapel Gate and back to car.

Great ride in either direction.

jackthedog
    Free Member

If I had just the one full day I’d do a big door to door loop, rather than spending time in the car.

Start Hillsborough, Beeley Woods, Wharncliffe, out along TPT, over to Cut Gate, Various Dark Peak Stuff, climb out over Stanage, drop down Wyming Brook, Rivelin and back to Hillsborough. Minimal road work involved, will keep anyone busy all day.

philtricklebank

Bike on train to Chinley, then ride home. Did this a few weeks ago and it was superb with the purple heather everywhere. Chinley Churn, Peep-o-Day, Coldwell Clough, drop into Hayfield, climb up to shooting cabin, down to Kinder Res, up the grass to Jacobs Ladder, Edale, Hollins Cross, Castleton, Win Hill, Ladybower, Cutthroat, Whinstone Lee, Derwent Edge, Dukes Road, then to wherever home is. Apart from the villages I passed through I hardly saw a soul all day. Plenty of refueling spots and you can bail back onto the train if tired or mechanicals hit.

matt_outandabout

20 laps of Norfolk Patk… 😉

Or, take train to Edale and ride home off road..

jackthedog
    Free Member

Actually, I prefer Philtrickebank’s suggestion. Might do that myself soon.

MrNice
    Free Member

I’ve been half planning a “train out and ride home” expedition for ages. How much hassle is it to get my bike on a train out of Dore heading west?

FOG

Very little. There used to be 9.17 train from town along the Hope valley line stopping at Dore which gets you to Chinley or Edale before 10, leaving the rest of the day for a creative route back to Sheff.

MrNice
    Free Member

That sounds perfect. do you need to book a place on it? I realize I’m asking dumb questions, just hoping not to fall foul of inane rules and jobsworths…

philtricklebank

I’ve never booked my bike on, there’s rarely more than one other bike on at the same time and the stopping trains along that line have plenty of space for bikes. Just turn up and go for it.

MrNice
    Free Member

philtricklebank – thanks, will be much easier without needing to plan in advance

with luck dry weather and a day off will coincide in the next few weeks

thepodge
    Free Member

I’ve been on a train with 11 bikes on that line, it was chaos but the conductor was fine with it as long as we didn’t block anything. Last Friday there were 8 of us at one point but that was only for one stop.

Pieface

Hayfield from Home.

Ride out to Edale via as much off-road as possible adn either do the Jacob’s loop and retrace your steps or go to TPT (Woodheaad) and back over Cut Gate and ride home from Ladybower.

That should keep you busy for a day.

cp

Pieface, that’s a good call coming back TPT then cut gate. My next all day ride sorted 🙂

Pieface

I’ve done it once before in one go, takes pretty much a full day. Loads of options for making it even longer exist.

The short-ish bit of road along Woodhead is ‘interesting’

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Train to Chinley and ride home is a good one – can make it as long as you like.

Or for a bit more of an old skool/xc ride, the one I did yesterday ain’t bad. Fair bit of road though.

Eccy Woods, Totley Moss, Barbrook Valley, Baslow Edge, Baslow, Edensor, Golf course descent into Bakewell (cake’n’coffee break), over to the Monsal Trail, then along it to Cressbrook Dale/Monsal Head. Over the top on RUPPs to Priestcliffe, down to Millers Dale. Wormhill, then down the b/way to Monks Dale. TPT to Peak Forest, then up Oxlow Rake, down Dirtlow Rake & Pindale into Hope (More cake’n’coffee). Brough Lane, over the top down to Hathersage, up to Foxhouses, then blast back down through Blacka.

tomhoward

Train to Swindon, head for Nationwide when you get there.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘if you lived in Sheffield and had a full day to ride, where would you go?’ is closed to new replies.