Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • If you live anywhere near an airport….
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

……isn't it lovely and quiet! 🙂

I'm 15ish miles from Heathrow and the difference is very noticeable, and the sky us pure unbroken blueness. Superb.

😀

Bunnyhop

Yep , Mum lives under the Manchester flightpath,its as quiet as a quiet thing..

donsimon
    Free Member

Madrid, and they're still coming in, grrrrrrrr!

Talkemada
    Free Member

I live near London City Airport, and I must say, it's been a lot quieter. Plus, no vapour trails above London; I've not seen that since September the 11th, 2001.

ski
    Free Member

Wonder how much of a difference it will make to the air quality near some of the larger airports?

allthepies
    Free Member

Yup, I'm not a million miles away from PP and a beautiful unsullied blue sky overhead 🙂

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Down here in Leatherhead, there's normally always two or three in sight at various heights whichever way you look. I'm beginning to find the unbroken blue sky and complete lack of moving objects faintly disturbing… 😕

carlosg
    Free Member

I live 2 miles(the wheels are out when they go over us) as the crow flies from Leeds and Bradford and the last 2 nights have been heaven , no late/early flights mean me and mrs carlos have slept the sleep of babies 😀

skiboy
    Free Member

Here in Milton Keynes we are under the flightpaths of both
    Luton and heathrow and you can usually see around 5 in the air at most
    times , it's great not to hear them engine breaking all
    the time and I have not seen a single cloud all day, just pure blue sky and a couple
    of trainer flights out of Cranfield

Karinofnine

I live near Biggin Hill and Snoopy and the Red Baron have been out today in their little planes.

No great big 'uns going over tho!

Lovely.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

yes it's great, totally clear blue skies here in Wales, usually scores of vapour trails.

just wish I could get up top of the mountain to see the sunset going to be a cracker I'm thinking

bassspine
    Free Member

I know its an utter PITA for many, but I'm loving the quiet clean blue sky at the moment. What a beautiful day it has been. I have almost sunburn.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Hampton Court quite near Heathrow and it's brilliant slept out in the hammock this afternoon and it's so quiet and the sky is just clear blue.

There is dust on all the cars which I'm told is volcanic, is that true??

Talkemada
    Free Member

There is dust on all the cars which I'm told is volcanic, is that true??

Is it bollocks; people love a good panic! 😀

TBH, if you consider what's actually in the air normally, a bit of ash is the least of our worries…

joolsburger
    Free Member

I thought the dust was about 11k up so not settling but I was told it had been on the news!!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I have to say I agree. The pure clear blue skies today must be the best I've ever seen. You don't notice until you stand and look and listen.

Stu_N

We're under the Edinburgh flightpath so kind of get used to something going out every few minutes. Odd that it isn't happening at all. Just had an awesome evening ride, made slightly eerie by lack of aircraft noise.

Saw one light aircraft yesterday and that's been it. Cloudy today so no clear blue skies but did notice the lack of contrails on Thurs and Fri.

santacruzsi
    Free Member

i live about 6 miles from Manchester Airport, the aircraft were taking off and gaining height over our house but thankfully quiet past few days!

Conor
    Free Member

Last SUnday me and my mater were up in the Mournes for a 8 hour hike. Pure blue skies and very quiet so all the planes were very noticeable (normally it's shitty and raining here so you don't notice them) and we realised how we live under such a busy flight path (a lot of the trans Atlantic flights go over us).

I'm away up tomorrow, going to be strange not having a big jet rumble above our heads.

Talkemada
    Free Member

I thought the dust was about 11k up so not settling but I was told it had been on the news!!

Well, the heat from the volcano has pushed it right up high, where it will waft about and eventually disperse on the winds. As for potential harm; car fumes are more deadly. As are loads of industrial pollutants in the air. The dilution of particles by the time they get here, if they do at all, will be too little to do any damage. I am a bit concerned for the people of Iceland though. They're mostly quite nice.

If you think about all the volcanoes that have erupted throughout history, and the fact that we're all still here, shows that it's going to take something a tad bigger than this one to threaten survival.

We could very well be doomed, however. I'm not sure yet. 😕

stucol
    Free Member

I saw a plane flying in the air yesterday !

Honest i did.

It may have been a Tucano but not sure as it was a bit far away. Heading towards Glasgow Airport so may have been a civil or air ambulance.

It is weird having nothing about. Not even the police helo.

Strangely i have had lots of dust on the car but it has been pretty dry so may just be road dust.

Bunnyhop

We just saw something really weird. A bright white light travelling too slowly to be a shooting star, south to north, up the centre of Britain. It then disappeared, without trace.

cuckoo
    Free Member

joe1983
    Free Member

Some flowers in the way you know?

Marmoset
    Free Member

Chester here and I'd not realised how many orange planes fly over my house on their way to Liverpool until it went quiet. Suppose it's not easy to notice when the numbers grow over the years.

slimtubing
    Free Member

Haha silly me I thought this was going to be an appeal to the generosity of STW inhabitant to offer a cup of tea and a spare bed to the thousands of stranded travellers! how naive of me 😆

GJP
    Free Member

I'm not liking this piece and quiet around Heathrow one little bit – but then I work for BA 🙁

swamp_boy

About 10 miles S of Luton here, very quiet, just a couple of helicopters and a little low flying private plane, probably someone's toy out of Elstree

BTW Elstree's possibly the only airfield with a bridleway across the runway. Helpful signs tells you to watch out for planes.

Gary_C

The only thing I saw in the sky in the lake District today was the N.W.air Ambulance.(Landing near Hodge Close).

Lionheart
    Free Member

In Devon 4 miles off little (but busy for a little one) Exeter airport but also under the trans – atlantic flight paths even if they are a few thousand feet above us. Beautifully quiet and lovely clear skies. I bet 'mother' earth at least in Europe is breathing deep and making the most of it. Every where feels different, i reckon we need a few days off now and then. I also thought it was great during the petrol 'crisis' when one could walk down the middle of the road and cycle in peace. Maybe a move to NZ deep south island is required!?

pinches
    Free Member

i live near earls court right on the flight path for one of the airports.

it took me a few hours to work out what was wrong, that it was fantastically quiet and the sky today was perfectly clear.

Karinofnine

The dust thing – my car is dark blue and shows dust, and it is dry BUT taking those two things into account, I see that there is an inordinate amount of dust on my car. Coincidence?

Ewan
    Free Member

Bunnyhop – that's a satellite.

STATO
    Free Member

yup satellite, there are loads if you just sit and watch. Was out last night (bivvy) and saw about 20-30 plus a shooting star. No planes was a bit odd tho.

johnners
    Free Member

Well, the heat from the volcano has pushed it right up high, where it will waft about and eventually disperse on the winds

…coming down to earth somewhere though. My car's pretty dusty, it could well be some volcanic fallout. We get dust from Saharan storms from time to time.

Drac

Went to Kenton yesterday near Newcastle airport was odd not seeing any aircraft. Not seen that since well Xmas 2009 not the 911 claims.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Live about 10 miles from Glasgow, under the outer edge of the landing flightpath. Never really notice the planes unless I'm out in the garden, but have noticed the silence currently, though maybe only because I know it's there from the news every 30 seconds.

As for blue skies, nice blue skis here yes, but they're definitely more hazy than ever before, like a faint mist – which I can only put down to the dust which is leaving a very slight residue on my car.

Pyro

Was at a car boot sale this morning not 2 miles from Leeds Bradford. The silence was almost deafening*. Was odd looking across at the airport and 10-12 planes sat going absolutely nowhere. Car park was full though, presumably with car belonging to folks who are stuck abroad, so I bet the airport parking companies are going to be raking it in hand-over-fist when that lot want to leave!

*Well, apart from the local chavs and scallies hassling for mobile phones or computer games…

Zoolander
    Free Member

At my siters in Southampton and a plane took off a short while ago .Doing tests to see if it's safe apparantly

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘If you live anywhere near an airport….’ is closed to new replies.