• This topic has 8 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by GW.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • If you have a 24" wheel bike (kids) can you put ANY suspension forks on it?
  • rep341
    Free Member

Or does it have to be a specific 24" wheel Fork- is there such a thing?

br
    Free Member

There are 24" forks, but I've not seen a decent one.

Two of my lads run 24" wheels, both use normal/26" forks – just means they have a bit more mud-room.

wwaswas

yes, need a 24" fork. They are available but tend to be low end stuff for kids bikes or very firmly sprung 'jumpy' things.

I think Scott and Kona both do some fairly high end 24" wheel kids bikes so might be worth a look to see what they use.

br
    Free Member

yes, need a 24" fork.

Why?

GW
    Free Member

coz otherwise it'l ride like a chopper 🙄

rep341
    Free Member

But if you spec a 80mm travel will that not be ok – like fitting a 100mm
    Or fit a travel adjust fork?

GW
    Free Member

No.
    the bike will have been designed for a rigid fork, most kids 24" bikes with suspension have between 40-60mm travel fork, not a 80mm fork designed for a 2" larger wheel.
    not that hard to get your head round surely?

wwaswas

measure the axle to crown onthe existing fork – it's likely to be only 380mm or less. Addign 60+ mm of fork to the front end will bugger up the handling no end.

not sure what your kid is riding but unless it's pretty rough most kids are better with a lightweight rigid fork than a heavy suspension one their weight barely moves.

GW
    Free Member

You can get a fork to work pretty well for kids even on kids 20" bikes with a bit of ingenuity.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘If you have a 24" wheel bike (kids) can you put ANY suspension forks on it?’ is closed to new replies.