Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • If you ever get bored of riding your bike…
  • Jamie
    Free Member

….you can make some noises with it instead:

[video]http://vimeo.com/83958475[/video]

Composer Johnnyrandom just released a new track recorded entirely by sampling sounds from a bicycle and its related components. Titled Bespoken, the track was created without the aid of synthesizers, samplers or drum machines (if you’re skeptical he even provided every sound broken down into component parts over on SoundCloud). The video above is just a teaser, but you can downloaded the whole thing off iTunes and it’s actually pretty great. If you’re a fan of ambient/electronic music it’ll be up your alley.

thisiscolossal

bearnecessities

I was hoping it was going to be some serious hardcore using a Hope freehub.

butcher

That’s actually quite impressive.

What amazes me the most though, is the confidence people have to do this stuff. Enough to dedicate hours of their daily life to it. Day after day. I’d take one look and say, don’t be daft!

JoeG
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZCvGGuN8a9k[/video]

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Can someone please tell me how he can claim no samplers were used when he has obviously sampled the bike sounds and then assembled them into a track?

Nice enough little tune but not exactly world shattering. (Still immensely better than my stoned guitar rambles however)

johnnyrandom
    Free Member

I can answer your questions: I composed this. With a sampler, you trigger snippets of audio by playing a MIDI keyboard. I didn’t use this method, mainly because I prefer to see the audio waveforms of what I’m working with while arranging a composition. (within Logic Pro X) I also don’t use samplers because key-mapped pitch shifting sounds awful. (warps the formants) I’m curious now… What do you find to be “world shattering” music?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Hi Mr Random
    Samplers don’t have to be used to pitchshift. You can use them to play single samples mapped to individual keys. You have sampled sounds, presumably edited them and plaved fhen in the track using software.
    I did similar over 15 years ago using a Prophet 2000 and Steinberg editing software. My results were considerably less musical.
    As to my world shattering comment- well tbh I have to confess that I wasn’t blown away by the track. I don’t begrudge the 79p however. Compare that with my response to hearing Todd Rundgren’s Acapella where every sound was the human voice sampled and edited. Amazing songs where the novelty of the method of creation came second to what you were hearing.
    I personally found Bespoken to be less than the sum of its parts. Others will uncountably have a different viewpoint.
    I designed magazines for years and no matter how successful they were it still hurt to have even one person say they didn’t like an issue. But I had to get over it and açept that if I likes it and enough others did then that was enough.

maccruiskeen

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9P2V0_p6vE[/video]

stuey
    Free Member

“We miss you Frank.”

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I dont. I have all the albums in most formats and tbh couldn’t deal with much more late period Frank.
    I miss the idea of him far more than the reality.

dweezil’s Zappa plays Zappa tour was great to see. Buy the album.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘If you ever get bored of riding your bike…’ is closed to new replies.