Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • If you don't want to get eaten alive this summer check these products out…..
  • Wharfedale
    Free Member

I’ve used Nordic summer myself when I went to Sweden canoeing, very good product. Much nicer than deet based solutions.

http://www.survivalschool.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=survival_flypage.tpl&product_id=280&category_id=27&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=9

This one is also supposed to be very good. Althougn not tried it myself yet. (The only concern is the comment “Wild boar is attracted to the smell and it can therefore be applied to lure them” should be fairly safe in yorkshire though I guess 😀 )

http://www.survivalschool.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=survival_flypage.tpl&product_id=281&category_id=27&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=9&vmcchk=1&Itemid=9

They also sell tick lasso’s, fortunately I’ve not had to use mine yet. But the dogs had quite a few removed with one over the last few years.

http://www.survivalschool.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=survival_flypage.tpl&product_id=282&category_id=27&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=9

I’ve no affiliation with this company, just a happy customer. Hope it helps!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Nothing but DEET has ever worked for me properly in the past. “natural” repellents of any sort are inneffective IME. I’d like to see a trail of these products against DEET

I have high hopes for Smidge as it is a properly formulated new repelland designed for midges – supposed to be as effective as deet without being as nasty – its certainly not as nasty but efectiveness I still have to experience

BadlyWiredDog

Some mates of mine are off to the western highlands with Smidge, slow-release DEET and the Nikwax stuff, which I’ve found very effective against Peak midgery. They have strict instructions to test them properly – one arm in each etc and if they survive, I shall report back…

As an aside, I used the Scandinavian stuff in Finland a few years back and it seemed to work pretty damn well – the mozzies there in summer are biblically nasty, really vicious.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

BWD – please report back on that

Wharfedale
    Free Member

Thats why I rate Nordic summer, until you’ve been to Sweden you don’t know what midges and mozzies really are. I’ve not found a country as bad yet.

chrisdb
    Free Member

Avon FTW

scaredypants

there’s a great thing called M9 – try that ?

😉

beinbhan

try the sand fly’s in NZ

jonb
    Free Member

If you are just dealing with midges then I recommend avon skin so soft spray moisturiser. I think it’s the limonene that acts as a repellent.

Wears off quick though.

crankboy
    Free Member

we went to a lovely desert island with a sand-fly problem and were told to make our own repellent a bottle of sunscreen oil (spray on sun tan oil) with some drops of tea tree oil and a capful of dettol in it . it not only repelled the flies but the wife too.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Wharfedale – Member
    Thats why I rate Nordic summer, until you’ve been to Sweden you don’t know what midges and mozzies really are. I’ve not found a country as bad yet.

Try camping bY Keilder Reservoir in summer.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘If you don't want to get eaten alive this summer check these products out…..’ is closed to new replies.