Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • If we’re in a moaning mood
  • dangerousbeans
    Free Member

I object strongly to the use of the word ‘moron’ or ‘moronic’ as used by a mod in another thread (also other derogatory terms involving people with learning disabilities – the few who know me will know why).

As it actually denoted a category of learning disability and was widely used as a categorisation for eugenics I feel it is unacceptable to be used to deride or describe others.

Those using it in such a fashion are being derogatory to those with learning disabilities, and making their condition an insult towards others.

theflatboy
    Free Member

report the post then.

sobriety
    Free Member

Quiet, you cretin! 😉

druidh
    Free Member

Is :mogn: OK?

Spongebob
    Free Member

Those using it in such a fashion are being derogatory to those with learning disabilities, and making their condition an insult towards others.

Perhaps a very long time ago.

That’s too PC a view for me, but i’ll avoid using the word all the same.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Even Mark has a ‘Report-Post’ button on his posts.

I’m just waiting for him to step out of line ……

BrokenCollarBones
    Free Member

well said OP

rs
    Free Member

Its just a word these days and nobody calling someone a mong is really meaning it as an insult to those with learning difficulties.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

what IQ range corresponds to ‘moron’ ? Would such people be able to understand that the use of the word was insulting ?

Is ‘dumbass’ an acceptable alternative ?

GrahamS

It’s the Goddard scale isn’t it:

idiot = IQ of 0-25
    imbecile = IQ of 26-50
    moron = IQ of 51-70

Though he was a bit of a fan of eugenics himself:

“A moron, by his definition, was any person with mental age between eight and twelve. Morons, according to Goddard, were unfit for society and should be removed from society either through institutionalization, sterilization, or both.” (from Wikipedia)

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

SFB

IIRC its an IQ of 50 – 70, so the mildest category of LD – probably a mental age of 9-12 years old – so it would probably be understood, if not the exact meaning then the connotation.

Most folk of this level I know will have heard it as a derogatory term many times in their school life.

And it’s dumass, there’s no ‘b’

GrahamS

You sure about that dumbass?:
    http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=dumass&word2=dumbass

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

sorry, you’re thinking of Alexander Dumas, noted French author…

IanMunro
    Free Member

Is idiot ok?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

You sure about that dumbass?

please don’t mock dangerousbeans‘s spelling difficulties 🙁

naokfreek
    Free Member

I like it as a word and think of it as another for idiot which it is i guess, i have known a few people in my 34 years whom have had relations with mental disabilities, and one used to use the term alot, as did my dad on the many occasions in my youth i was an idiot…don’t take it to heart dude, like many things in life, only upsetting if your setup for being easily upset or summink…

but noted all the same.

MrAgreeable

“A moron, by his definition, was any person with mental age between eight and twelve. Morons, according to Goddard, were unfit for society and should be removed from society either through institutionalization, sterilization, or both.”

Which in practice meant that anyone who failed an “intelligence test” (even if it was just due to poor education) could potentially be sterilised or institutionalised. This happened to quite a few unfortunate people. A really shameful chapter in modern American history.

What that Wikipedia article only touches on briefly is that Goddard was dishonest and his research worthless. He even had doctored photos in his textbooks to make the “degenerates” look less human. There’s more about him in this book, which is excellent reading for anyone who wants to know more about “intelligence testing”:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mismeasure_of_Man

BoardinBob

When did this forum merge with the Daily Mail?

uplink
    Free Member

BigDummy
    Free Member

Fair enough, noted.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘If we’re in a moaning mood’ is closed to new replies.