Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • If this strike is going to cost the economy half a billion…
  • Harry_the_Spider

…will the extra day off next year for the jubilee cost the same?

[/trolling]

druidh
    Free Member

Even more presumably as there will be more folk off work?

philconsequence
    Free Member

i’m not moaning about a day off to enjoy jubblies!

mmmmmm lubbly jubblies 😈

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

As the day off includes private sector it will be much more, won’t it?

[edit]
    I think Phil might be disappointed by the days events.

phil.w
    Free Member

As the day off includes private sector it will be much more, won’t it?

No because were a bunch of work shy *****

sweepy
    Free Member

I cant understand how the public sector can be a cost rather than a revenue stream, yet cost the economy so much if its not there for a day.

binners

Pluck a figure out of thin air, double it, add a hundred million, then release it to a tame press as stone cold FACT! 🙄

MikeG

And does the £500 million include the savings made by not paying wages for those on strike?

mudshark
    Free Member

I cant understand how the public sector can be a cost rather than a revenue stream, yet cost the economy so much if its not there for a day.

Um are you serious? Unsure. Anyway, you see a cost has a benefit too, it’s just that the benefit has to be worthwhile. So we need a public sector but it is a cost and the cost/benefit is a changing thing. Geddit?

5thElefant
    Free Member

The public sector striking saves money. Well it would but tax payers have to take the day off work to look after their kids.

vinnyeh

I thought all the bright ideas were in the private sector?

– take annual leave
    – organise a day’s (paid for)babysitting.
    – group together so one person can look after a few kids

It’s a strike ffs. It’s there to remind you that the public sector does actually perform a lot of essential tasks, including it seems unofficially childminding.

How many families have both parents working anyway, should be penalised through tax. If you can’t get by on one wage, get a better job.

GrahamS

How many families have both parents working anyway

Quite a lot these days? I suspect the majority or at least a very sizable minority.

If you can’t get by on one wage, get a better job.

😯

Maybe some folk want to do more than just “get by”?

(Me: Senior Software Engineer, Mrs: Senior Medical Registrar)

binners

If you can’t get by on one wage, get a better job.

How are things in la-la-land? Are any of your staff coming out in sympathy? Will you have them flogged?

rondo101
    Free Member

Leap year next year, so there’s an extra day in there already. Jubilee BH merely brings the working day count for the year into line with every other none-leap year.

Drac

Working in the Public Sector I’ll be at work if I’m rostered as working.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

ourmaninthenorth

…will the extra day off next year for the jubilee cost the same?

I shouldn’t think one of these is that expensive to build, and think of all the savings* in the long run:

*also known as “cuts”, eh Gideon?

GrahamS

I think it’s the Civil War leading up to that is usually the pricey part! 😀

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

philconsequence – Member
    i’m not moaning about a day off to enjoy jubblies!

mmmmmm lubbly jubblies

Golden Jubbly sexyparty?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

If the strike is going to cost £0.5Bn – who gets that money? I mean who is charging £0.5Bn?

prezet
    Free Member

Pluck a figure out of thin air, double it, add a hundred million, then release it to a tame press as stone cold FACT!

^^ This.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Instead of not getting paid for striking, at the royal wedding I got paid time and two thirds for going to work (inpatient: we don’t close).

So even more again than the strike, surely?

And that cost to the taxpayer twice in two years! What terribly unfortunate timing for the government. 😛

jonjones13
    Free Member

There’s going to be a shipload more strikes on the way too with old George putting a cap on pay rises of 1% after a 2-yr pay freeze.

I’ve been working in the public sector for 10-years and (in the ‘Good-times’ had a less-than-inflation pay rise every single f’cking year, then 2-years of nowt, now 2-years of 1% max when inflation is at ~5%

Oh I love the Govt – getting more expert at your job every year, and getting paid less every year – f’king wonderful, by jolly, I’m off to Australia !

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’m off to Australia !

See you back here in about 3 or 4 years then, when it’s all gone horribly wrong over there too.

That’s if you can still afford to come back….

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I think all those who are striking should work on Jubilee day for free to make up for what their strike action is going to cost the country.

Drac

I think all those who are striking should work on Jubilee day for free to make up for what their strike action is going to cost the country.

If I’m off I might go in on overtime, that’ll be double time and an extra 3.5 hours holiday.

julianwilson
    Free Member

flippinheckler – Member

I think the government should shut up, or at lest quietly back down about what tomorrow will cost the taxpayer after what the royal wedding public holiday cost the country.

And what the jubilee will also cost the country.

bruneep

I think the government should shut up, or at lest quietly back down about what tomorrow will cost the taxpayer after what the royal wedding public holiday cost the country.

And what the jubilee will also cost the country.

yup

I would also like to thank Dave for 1% cap on my pay for the next 4yrs. <Doffs hat>

With inflation at circa 4% its a right kick in ba’s

Philby

Didn’t see any politicians complaining in the media about cost to the economy of the Royal Wedding public holiday. Why didn’t they tell the royals to get married on a Saturday thereby avoiding the need for an extra bank holiday and minimising loss of productivity on that day.

ourmaninthenorth

Why didn’t they tell the royals to get married on a Saturday f—ed thereby avoiding the need for an extra bank holiday and minimising loss of productivity on that day anachronistic and parasitic class.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘If this strike is going to cost the economy half a billion…’ is closed to new replies.