Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 116 total)
  • If money were no object – what would you do with your life?
  • perthmtb
    Free Member

Has anyone else noticed that a lot of the things people say they’d rather be doing don’t actually require a lot of money?

Could it be that sometimes we use money as an excuse for why we don’t do these things, whereas all it really needs is the guts to make the break and do something different?

Still not saying that makes it easy, but just that we need to be honest with ourselves what’s stopping us, and then maybe it wouldn’t – if you see what I mean.

yunki
    Free Member

Convention and conformity are drilled into us at every step of the way.. I’m not too certain about who this benefits, but I could hazard a guess that it’s a very successful social construct for a few at the top, and you can bet that they’re enjoying the fruits of our labour

colournoise

Find a nice wooded hillside somewhere in the UK and buy it. Buy a digger and a chainsaw and build and ride.

Indulge my interests in photography and music/video production with some decent kit. Use it to do some bike related stuff.

Walk.

Learn to fly raptors to the glove.

convert

Has anyone else noticed that a lot of the things people say they’d rather be doing don’t actually require a lot of money?

I’d say for most it’s not the extra money needed (to do the stuff) that holds us back but the time needed to earn the ‘normal’ money and the drain both physically and mentally that this causes which makes you less capable of using the ‘spare’ time as effectively as we would like. If I could stop work tomorrow I’d be free to move somewhere I really want to live and spend all day doing the things I want to do – I would also starve to death within the year.

It’s the classic conundrum – there was a time in my life when I was fit and healthy with plenty of time to do what I wanted to do but few funds to do it (or go where I want to go to do it). Now I have a reasonable disposable income but neither the health or the time to use it as I would wish.

mikey74
    Free Member

1. Become a perpetual student.
    2. Travel.

Wookster

Move up North, Northumberland, Scottish Borders, walk the Dog, rude my bike, enjoy adventures with my Wife and Kids!!

mamadirt
    Free Member

Buy this and retire . . .

Fingers crossed we can make it happen.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Form a rebel Navy of old diesel electric subs and sink a few luxury yachts.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Here you go, this is the kinda thing I’m thinking about..I think Sardinia would be a good enough place, maybe Cyprus… 8)

Now, just count the amount of crew on the rail..

and

mudshark
    Free Member

So how much money does one need to not work again? Age matters here assuming burning up capital.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Small holding on Welsh boarders. Make stuff and ride bikes, hike etc. As someone further up said it does not require a lot of money but buying the property is the big one!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Yeah same here really. Snowboard all winter , surf and ride bikes all summer . Sit in my massive hot tub a lot , BBQ a lot of meat , grow some vegetables and brew some beer.

With the family of course

convert

So how much money does one need to not work again? Age matters here assuming burning up capital.

Assuming you just want to replicate your current standard of living……(your current monthly take home + pension contribution) X however many number of months you would normally have to go to retirement minus quite a bit for having it all now so being able to invest it wisely.

Not actually as much as you would think – like easily within the range of a modest lottery win. I guess the difficult bit is if you develop expensive tastes with all that time off. The only good bit about being at work is it stops you spending money.

tomhoward

Work my way through the Michelin guide

mudshark
    Free Member

minus quite a bit for having it all now so being able to invest it wisely

Well yes that’s the tricky bit.

But also assume living in a house with no mortgage so that saves expenditure.

I have in mind £500k capital would keep me going – mostly invested though so big stock market falls could feel uncomfortable.

chewkw
    Free Member

If money were no object – what would you do with your life?

Build a Borg house that can sustain itself or by me.

Build a house with a turbo wok burner or build a proper chef kitchen in the house.

Buy more Toyota cars but modify them.

Be as self sufficient as possible then detach from this world.

😆

cbike
    Free Member

ha ha! I like how Yunki’s dream is to do what I do! Its not impossible. Even with kids. Check out this family from denmark that have just sailed from denmark to turkey in two kayaks. – http://lifeisgoodfollowus.com/

£500 000 would keep me going as I am now for 40 years! I could be mortgage free in 15, or almost instantly and still have most of it left over. Might splashout on a wee garage or shipping container for bikes and tools.

Seems that many are rich but short of time. Only the mega rich have time and money. I got this impression from meeting some of Jackie stewarts family. They seem to have work life balance sorted even if they do bore everyone about expensive watches a lot.

I have decided to live like I am semi retired now…and maybe work (if I can even call it that) more later if I have to.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Small holding on Welsh boarders. Make stuff and ride bikes, hike etc. As someone further up said it does not require a lot of money but buying the property is the big one!

Not in Wales. It’s being able to work that’s the tricky bit. Property is cheap.

Kryton57

Pay the mortgage
    Buy an RS6 Avant
    Move up north, somewhere near a good school with great riding out the back door, but out of town in a slightly isolated cottage for 4.
    Buy a decent maintained apartment/villa in Spain & Barbados respectively for our holidays
    I’d have left work, so I’d like to split my time into learning home DIY and doing something related to cycling for others.
    Invest the remainder in such a way my childrens education and start in life is secured, yet they still have to learn their way in life and aren’t pampered.
    Then I think I’d like to spend my evenings in front of the fire sipping imported high quality rums from around the world, and my mornings brewing coffee whilst reading the newspaper.

Wookster

convert – Member
    rude my bike
    It doesn’t matter how much cash you’ve got – it’s wrong!

POSTED 2 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

LoL!!!!!!!! Blooming auto correct!!! 😆

Olly
    Free Member

I have an idea of a “kit car”. Build custom cars based around my wicked ass chassis design*

(*i know nothing about cars, its probably rubbish)

anagallis_arvensis

Just bought a lottery ticket. I’ll let you know tomorrow!

anagallis_arvensis

Ooops wrong thread!

Xylene
    Free Member

I imagine I would spend my time between being royaly wasted, and convincing myself it was a bad idea to get wasted again.

zippykona

Big house with workshops and lots of room to grow food.
    Then I would restore motorbikes from the 70/80s.

footflaps

I’d buy a big house in the Lakes and run a B&B for half the week, and just wander round the hills for the other half…

loddrik
    Free Member

Do exactly what I do now. As little work as possible. No desire to travel or own ‘stuff’.

Though I’d probably buy a villa in ibiza so I could spend the summers out there like I used to.

And I’d give loads to charity if I had loads. Probably rspca and cancer research. And something to help the poor in my city.

wicki
    Free Member

2 seriously large campers 1 in europe 1 in the states plots of land doted around on both continents for the winters and pay off all my families debts

slowoldman

Spend another 50 hours a week doing stuff I like. Support causes I believe in.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

big motorboat. cruise the world and for sure buy a big house on lake garda, love that place.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’d have 3 houses, 1 in the North East of England, 1 on the West coast of Scotland & 1 in Spain, all somewhere out of the way & nice but not huge. I’d have a season ticket for an NHL team, maybe Toronto, & fly there & back business class. I’d do a lot of biking & sea fishing (I’d want a decent seaworthy boat) I’d learn to actually sail a yacht ( a big one, love to do that) you can keep your fancy cars & toys though.

ojom
    Free Member

We’ve been mulling over making money the non object which we are lucky enough to be able to do if we wanted. We have enough equity to sell, buy some land, build a home and not have to work much. Could probably get away with part time work.

However, we are also happy as we are and not motivated by money or the things it can buy, but just the things and places it can take you. Having a mini us who is nearly a year old means we need to be relatively sensible for the time being and plan what we could do.

bigdean

I’d get a unit fill it with Cnc machines and set up a training/ play centre.
    Work 3 day weeks as much a possible.
    Oh and continue with playing with carbon fibre, could I afford an autoclave?

jam-bo

surf/snow/bike/kayak/climb. repeat.

oh and invent stuff.

tomhoward

Scrap my idea, I’ve just watched Ironman.

That.

relliott6879
    Free Member

I’d be involved in some form of motor racing, live somewhere hot and have a sizeable garage with several nice cars.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Build a Velodrome, attach a little factory/workshop to it and employ a few talented engineers to build the bikes I want that no one else makes. Buy a large motor home and mince about Europe with the kids whenever their are on holiday. Braaap about on the Velodrome a lot. Do “the hour”. Race DH again. Get a dog.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Pretty much what I do now but with the addition of a house in Annecy and a T5 for getting there. Several more bikes and many, many more holidays to dive, surf, kayak, walk, ski and so on.

toys19
    Free Member

Get fit, surf, ride, shoot.
    Then when that got boring go back to uni and get a law degree and work probono to right wrongs.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 116 total)

The topic ‘If money were no object – what would you do with your life?’ is closed to new replies.