Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • If I'm going to understand you…
  • camo16
    Free Member

…do I really need to understand your dad?

This following the DM’s pretty tenuous defence of its Ralph Milliband (he’s a low-down dirty commie dontcha know?) feature.

So, do your parents define you?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Despicable stuff by the mail.

In answer to the question, no.

Curiously enough though, you’d understand me a lot better if knew my birth parents (who I’ve only known for the past 5 of my 40 years) than you would do from the parents that brought me up! Sure that says a lot about nature versus nurture.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Influence, yes. Define, no. And they may well influence you into being the exact opposite.

sugdenr
    Free Member

From what I bothered to listen to, Ralph said some pretty accurate things about the British at the time which have been borne out by history – which in my book makes it fair comment, not hatred.

I hope EM sues the DM, its a piece of s**t paper that xenophobes, bigots and idiots read to reinforce their already narrow minded view of the world.

brakes
    Free Member

and so what if your parents do define you? they’re them, they’re not you.

camo16
    Free Member

and so what if your parents do define you?

The, if I was Ed M, I’d be defined by a low-down dirty commie I guess. 😯

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Yes, it was a low blow by the Mail, but what would you expect from them. Having said that I think it was a valid story to run as anything that tells you about Ed Millibands background and upbringing is valid in order to try to get a better measure of the man. Similar stories have been run against other PM’s and prospective PMs. The same goes for all politicians. I don’t trust politicians of any political persuasion. They are all in it for themselves and their own political ambitions. They’ll all tell you what you want to hear just to get into office, then do what they want when they’re there.

I don’t trust Ed Milliband. He stabbed his own brother in his back to seize power, and owes the disgusting overpaid gobshite Union leaders a big favour for putting him there, so he wont think twice about shafting us once he’s in power. He wants power at all costs and will say or do anything to get it. Whatever information you can get about the politicians, the better to help you understand what’s really making them tick and what they’re likely to do if they get into power. I’d feel very uncomfortable with a Marxist as a PM.

I also can’t square the circle about someone who claims to love this county but hates every institution within it and all that it stands for – essentially the very fabric of the nation and what makes this country ‘this country’. How does that work? It would be like someone saying that they love their wife, but they think she’s an ugly pig, with a foul personality, and a horrible person. Clearly they don’t love their wife that much. I’m sure he was very grateful to this country for taking him in when fleeing from Nazi Germany (and he fought against the Nazi’s but not necessarily for this country), but that doesn’t necessarily mean he loved this country – he clearly wanted to change its very DNA such that it would be beyond all recognition.

So a valid story to run, but done in a pretty distasteful and nasty way.

camo16
    Free Member

Having said that I think it was a valid story to run as anything that tells you about Ed Millibands background and upbringing is valid in order to try to get a better measure of the man.

I don’t have a better understanding of Ed, though, as a result of this mud-slinging…

My dad was a rabid leftie back in the day. Now he’s borderline Tory… I’m neither. And, although we’ve clashed on some occasions, his opinions haven’t influenced or infected mine.

I don’t trust politicians of any political persuasion. They are all in it for themselves and their own political ambitions

You said a whole lot there, dude.

camo16
    Free Member

Double post.

nick1962
    Free Member

My dad worked for the Daily Mail for nearly 20 years….eek!

camo16
    Free Member

[loudspeaker]

nick1962 is compromised. I repeat. nick1962 is compromised.

[/loudspeaker]

tomhoward

Both my parents (and their parents) vote for the blue team, mainly out of habit.

I didnt vote for the blue team. Make of that what you will.

binners

Having said that I think it was a valid story to run as anything that tells you about Ed Millibands background and upbringing is valid in order to try to get a better measure of the man

No it isn’t. What his dad said when he was 17 is about as relevant to what he’d do as PM, as what he had for your tea last night.

I don’t trust Ed Milliband. He stabbed his own brother in his back to seize power was elected in a contest his brother was also involved in

FTFY

I also can’t square the circle about someone who claims to love this county but hates every institution within it and all that it stands for – essentially the very fabric of the nation and what makes this country ‘this country’. How does that work?

I’d happily see the royal families heads on spikes tomorrow. Does that mean that I ‘HATE BRITAIN’ too? You’re a complex character aren’t you? Almost obsessed with subtlety and nuance?

Thats why I’m surprised seeing you weighed in on the side of the DM though. You always come across as a happy-go-lucky, live-and-let-live, tolerant kinda guy

camo16
    Free Member

Politically, I’m a family let down because I don’t vote at all when the choice is between lowlife#1, lowlife#2 or lowlife#3.

I have to be reminded, apparently, that ‘people died for my right to vote, you know’. I don’t even know who these people were 😳 and I wonder now if they wished they hadn’t bothered.

Generally I have nothing in common with almost anyone in my family because I’m not a successful biochemist.

camo16
    Free Member

I’d happily see the royal families heads on spikes tomorrow.

* suspects binners is my real dad *

BoomBip
    Free Member

You’re a complex character aren’t you? Almost obsessed with subtlety and nuance?

😆 Thanks for the tea/keyboard snortageddon

nick1962
    Free Member

I’d feel very uncomfortable with a Marxist as a PM.

Relax, you’ll be comfortable till your dotage which judging by your post ain’t that far off.

bearnecessities

If I’m in a situation I feel a bit undecided on, I think what would my Dad do, in like a “what would Jesus do” type fashion, except without the beard & sandals (he’s got a big ol’ tash FTW)

So in relevance to the OP, yes for me, but I’ve not got the brain arrangement that makes me want to be a politician.

tazzymtb

to a certain extent yes. My hatred of organised religion with a bloke in charge in nice red shoes and little had definitely comes from the abuse my father suffered in a good catholic childrens home. The fact that the same stuff is still happening now 60 years later and is still being ignored and buried where possible justifies that hatred.

In all other aspects he taught me to be me, to live my life my way, but accept that every action I take would have consequences and that I could never claim it was not fair.

for example as a young punk, he took me to one side and said ” I have no problem with you looking like that, don’t let your brain go to waste so find things that interest you and still learn and also be aware that some people will be scared of you, some will to start fights with you, don’t ever come home bleeding and say it’s not fair” He then taught me all he knew about fighting dirty to ensure that the likelihood of me coming off second best in fight was slight and sent me out into the world.

so yes understanding my dad would help in understanding my slightly off beat and sometime brutal outlook on life

Junkyard
    Free Member

You’re a complex character aren’t you? Almost obsessed with subtlety and nuance?

Thats why I’m surprised seeing you weighed in on the side of the DM though. You always come across as a happy-go-lucky, live-and-let-live, tolerant kinda guy
    Binners for PM

BRILLIANT 😆

nonk
    Free Member

Tazzy your dad sounds bloody ace to me.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Ah… I’ve been reading DM as danger mouse. It’s daily mail.

emsz
    Free Member

They **** you up, your mum and dad.
    They may not mean to, but they do.
    They fill you with the faults they had
    And add some extra, just for you.

But they were **** up in their turn
    By fools in old-style hats and coats,
    Who half the time were soppy-stern
    And half at one another’s throats.

Man hands on misery to man.
    It deepens like a coastal shelf.
    Get out as early as you can,
    And don’t have any kids yourself.

Proper poet… 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

Tazzy, your dad should have just named you Sue and been done with it!

🙂

tazzymtb

My old man is tops…grumpy..eccentric and a bloody brilliant scientist with all sorys of groovy inventions to his name. The fact he had a shockingly poor start in life and through sheer bloody minded determination turned out well and somehow managed to function enougj to raise a good family makes me so proud.

Stoner you don’t know my full name 😉

oldnpastit

If the Daily Mail is having such a go at Ed Milliband, then he goes up in my estimation.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘If I'm going to understand you…’ is closed to new replies.