Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • If I like Jura, what other single malts might I like?
  • firestarter
    Free Member

I think I’d like a bit more peat than the superstition but the jura prophecy is a bit dear for now, might try get a sample bottle 😉

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I’m sippying my way through a bottle of Glenlivet at present its an 18 yr old very smooth and mellow but quite pricey, (xmas pressie) after I finish that I will open a bottle of Dhalwinnie same sort of smooth mellow taste one of my favs.

chewkw
    Free Member

Talisker at Waitrose for £24 per bottle. Tempting …

Cougar

Sorry I’m late on a reply here, but I’d take issue with

The alternative tends to be to add caramel to the whisky at bottling. This produces the rich colour many consumers want to see. Unfortunately it changes the taste of the whisky and in my view is the waste of a dram.

It allegedly changes the taste. It’s a subject of hot debate rather than fact. I’d challenge you to tell the difference on a blind tasting.

As an aside, it’s easy to detect. Shake the bottle. Brown foam = caramel, white foam = not.

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Whats the concencus on dalwhinnie 15yo? Tis on offer in sainsburys ATM.

hugorune

My advice is to go into a good bar with a fine selection of single malts and try a few. Everyone has a different palate and what is medicinal to some is nectar to others. Don’t be scared off the more full-on malts by their reputation, try it out and then commit to a bottle.

Just out of interest kuntsler – how did you get on biking from Jura to Islay? Most people usually take the ferry 😉

Admiralable
    Free Member

No mention of Penderyn? Rather nice! 🙂

Waderider
    Free Member

I’d challenge you to tell the difference on a blind tasting.

As I said, I probably liked Jura more before I knew about the amount of caramel added. However, you supply the whisky Cougar, and I’ll go for a blind taste test. 😀

Option A : A well crafted product, aged in casks carefully selected to give the correct colour and flavour, made with just barley and water.

Option B : A product that may have started out well, aged in casks that didn’t give it an attractive or consistent appearance, so the well known flavourless ingredient caramel was added at the later stages of the bottling process.

For the record, I’d also buy a non coloured cheddar before I’d buy a coloured one, even if there is no taste difference in that case. Not that cheddar is my favourite cheese………

I’d love to know where the subject is hotly debated though, other than between us on this thread.

Cougar

Well, it’s ‘hotly debated’ amongst the whisky geeks I know, at any rate. And it’s hotly denied by Richard Patterson, which is good enough for me frankly. (-:

Kunstler

Just out of interest kuntsler – how did you get on biking from Jura to Islay? Most people usually take the ferry

tony_m
    Free Member

M1llh0use – Member
    Whats the concencus on dalwhinnie 15yo? Tis on offer in sainsburys ATM.

Lovely stuff, it’s my “go-to” any time I fancy a change from my regular Ardbeg 10 y-o.

firestarter – Member
    I think I’d like a bit more peat than the superstition but the jura prophecy is a bit dear for now, might try get a sample bottle

Me too, although that isn’t actually preventing me enjoying the bottle of Superstition I’ve got on the go just now. 🙂

Doug
    Free Member

Ardeg, Laphroaig QC and Lagavulin with their strong medicinal tastes are my tipples of choice after having medicinal packaging in my upper palette for a few months following dental surgery when I was 11. Bearing that in mind highland tend to leave me a little unsatisfied however the Aldi Glen Marnoch ‘Dalmore’ which is currently sat in my glass and mentioned on STW a few weeks ago is however a good example of a highland, a bit like a sherry casked Balvenie.

As mentioned before Highland Park (The Ladies Whisky as my Grandfather used to say) is the introduction to the ‘Amonia’ flavoured Isles and Islay whisky’s IMHO of course.

firestarter
    Free Member

Currently quaffing jura superstition this eve 😉

tony_m
    Free Member

firestarter – Member
    Currently quaffing jura superstition this eve 😉

That makes (at least) two of us… 🙂

firestarter
    Free Member

😉 enjoy

clipper68
    Free Member

How about Benromach?

bruk

Did well for chrimbo this year. Box of 12, 15 and 18 yr old Bowmore. Glem Moray (unknown to me as yet), Laphroaig and a bottle of Glayva liquer too.

Just as well stocks replenished as down to a bottle of Singleton and the dregs of Ardbeg Uigedail from last years xmas.

Cougar

How about Benromach?

The best Benromach, by a country mile, is the Organic. Fabulous dram for the money.

hugorune

hugorune

😆 at kunstler

This week I have mostly been drinking The Macallan Select Oak. Next week I’m going to ask the bar in town where they got the Ardbeg Blasda that I haven’t seen before let alone tasted yet.

tony_m
    Free Member

Next week I’m going to ask the bar in town where they got the Ardbeg Blasda that I haven’t seen before let alone tasted yet.

http://www.ardbeg.com/shop/product/whisky/ardbeg-blasda.html

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘If I like Jura, what other single malts might I like?’ is closed to new replies.