Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • if i invented a dirt blaster without the need for power would it be a good idea?
  • BigBikeBash
    Free Member

Mid to low pressure washer with no need for electricity or batteries. Portable and rugged. Can be filled from tap or stream.

Good idea?

What price range?

Sam

You mean something like this?

Kahurangi

With your reputation?

Joking aside, yes, of course. Compare with the current crop and you'd have to be not too far off their price to get an edge in the market. Even though the running costs would be lower, persuading people to part with their cash up front is the tricky bit.

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

Sam – similar but better. More rugged. More compact. Higher pressure. Greater water through put and control

richcc
    Free Member

My initial thought was also the pump action plant sprayers. Suppose you could do an mtb version with added Gnarrr

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

Also the excitement knowing that I designed it so it could burst into flames at any moment

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Power it from a track pump rather than the pump handle built in, then you've got a truly bike orientated device!

molgrips
    Free Member

It'd be a lot of work to pump up to enough pressure to be a dirt worker, imo. A solar/car charged battery powered one would probably be better..?

Track pump powered would not be good – it would have to force air through a small valve which is where a lot of your work goes when pumping up a tyre. You want a wider bore valve.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Its an empty washing up liquid bottle isn't it?

Go on, you can tell us, its only the internet. 😉

nickjb
    Free Member

Not quite sure why you need it unpowered. If you are washing it to go in the car then you have 12v available, if its for use at home then there is power, too. If it is to be green, then don't wash it or use a sponge and bucket. I'm sure it would sell as bikers buy anything shiny 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

nickjb – Member
    Not quite sure why you need it unpowered. If you are washing it to go in the car then you have 12v available, if its for use at home then there is power, too. If it is to be green, then don't wash it or use a sponge and bucket.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts. How do you carry it around? In a car perhaps? If so, then 12v makes sense. If it's for home use, then run it off mains (via a transformer). What niche are you seeking to fill?

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

Think green. Think Environment. Think it is a lot cheaper without fitting the 12v sh1t.

£25 for a 3 litre cleaner that you can throw in the car, or drop out of a car at 40mph without damage because you left it on the roof.

Seems to be a market for me.

PS none of you have actually infringed my patent yet

valleydaddy
    Free Member

BigBikeBash

I'll trial one for you and if it's any good I'll pay your £25 – deal??

cynic-al
    Free Member

3L?

GW
    Free Member

a 3L bottle of coke? it'll clean your bike alright

colnagokid

Link FAIL!
    Hozelock do a 7L portable shower hose thingy for £20

dmetcalfe
    Free Member

i've seen a pump type one that was designed for watersports types for washing boats down, cant remember where it was. so far been happy with my mobi washer, just need to remember to charge it, but if i dont i can always run it from the car, just more hastle

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

Okay. 6 litre.

The prototype cleaned my bike using 2 litres so I just upped the size by 50%

I tell you what, there is a range from 3 litre 'Easy carry' to 60 litre 'This needs a truck' size.

There are loads of 'nearly good enough' products out there but I can't find any that include the possibility of spontaneous combustion and bike specific features.

PS 3 litres at 200 psi will clean a bike without destroying seals etc

andrewh
    Free Member

if i invented a dirt blaster without the need for power would it be a good idea?

No. As mentioned above, too big to carry with you so will be used either at home or from the car, where there is mains or 12v power.

However, if the lack of electrical parts, pumps etc makes it cheaper than a dirtworker I would definately be interested.

iDave
    Free Member

BBB, not patronising but do you understand patent law?

IanMunro
    Free Member

PS 3 litres at 200 psi will clean a bike without destroying seals etc

That's a lot of pumping with a shock pump to reach that pressure though 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

Very small market, existing hardware that does the same thing already, some powered ones for when you're near a power source (every time you ride really!), your numbers don't stack up and for that reason I won't be investing in you, I'm out. Plus if you put 200psi near my seals I'll kill you, but from a distance I'd be more accepting.

uplink
    Free Member

Something that takes a standard CO2 cannister maybe?

Is it a converted Sodastream? 😆

iDave
    Free Member

another solution for a problem that doesn't exist? marketing peeps will love that.

tron
    Free Member

What he said. Go back to your problem definition stage – Bikes get dirty when you go mountain biking. So?

If you're a bit bothered, you use a plant sprayer, or water from your camelbak / bottles. If you're very bothered, you use a dirtworker or one of those rechargeable camel things that were advertised on here.

Or you sidestep the issue by using a £5 tarp or old sheet in the back of the car.

Personally, I doubt there are enough people who want something approaching dirtworker levels of performance in a human powered form to make this worth your while. You're basically creating a niche within what is already a niche market, and I reckon you'd need some very clever ways of minimising your development & marketing costs in order to get this off the ground and turn a profit.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

I have a 8L garden sprayer which works really well, minimum amount of pumping and can be used at home AND out and about due to the universal power supply – my arm.

You might want to up the capacity, 8L is only just enough to clean my bike when it has been properly doused in Pentlands mud. To be honest, it's going to be difficult to get something to appeal to the environment conscious and bring it in at a comparable price (£10).

Gary_M
    Free Member

or drop out of a car at 40mph without damage because you left it on the roof

Apart from the damage to any following car.

I'm not really with you on the 'green' angle, surely anyone that does the 'driving to the trail' thing isn't that bothered about their 'green' credentials.

Good luck though but I'm out.

thomthumb
    Free Member

the industrial plant sprayers are pretty good for this; we tested a load that were used to spray chemicals down mole holes.

Drac

Can be filled from tap or stream.

Hoses can be attached to a tap and bikes washed in streams.

Nope can't see the need.

molgrips
    Free Member

Washing a bike in a stream isn't so good, gets lots of oil in the water. Washing it on dirt at least means the oil can sit in the ground and decompose before it ends up in the water course.

Drac

Lots of oil or do you mean the small amount that may be left from a day riding through mud?

snowslave

What we need is something sonic powered. You know, something that emits a noise of an appropriate frequency that makes dirt fall off bikes.

I think I've seen prototypes being tested in the South Africe World Cup

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

iDave – not patronising but do you understand patent law?

Enough to know that nothing on this thread would invalidatre the patent.

Unnecessary – Quite possibly but how many people spend sily money on phones and gadgets that do stuff they could do almost as well with something else.

Why by a satnav when you can use a map?

Because it is easier or it was an easy present to buy for someone or it shows your mates that you need/can afford the best.

Clearly if you all have spent time getting the other things to do this then there is a need there.

cranberry
    Free Member

BigBikeBash – if you don't have a patent then it cannot be invalidated. If you have a patent then the design is openly published and publishing it here would not the protection afforded by it in any way.

IainGillam
    Free Member

I'm sure it would do very well if for example you happened to be Steve Jobs and called it the iwash. On a serious note it might be a bit too niche, if on the other hand you could make a dirtworker esque one for much cheaper (say £50.00) I and many other cheapskates like me would bite your hand off for it.

Iain

samuri
    Free Member

When I tried using a plant sprayer like those above for this, they worked great. The only issue was the amount of water we could carry.

pk-ripper
    Free Member

i have a girlfriend to do washing related tasks.

ahm oot.

djcombes
    Free Member

cranberry – Member

BigBikeBash – if you don't have a patent then it cannot be invalidated. If you have a patent then the design is openly published and publishing it here would not the protection afforded by it in any way.

A patent application is not immediately published. By the time it's granted it will have been published so that anyone can read it. A patent does not need to disclose a full engineering diagram and production instructions, but must include sufficient detail that it would allow one skilled in the art to reproduce the invention.

In order to be patentable it must be possible to show an inventive step over prior art. Something that would not be obvious to one skilled in the art. This is a bit of a grey area TBH.

Public disclosure of an invention prior to a patent application means that it cannot be patented. A posting on an open internet forum is definitely a public disclosure.

If you think you've got a novel idea and you really are considering patenting it, take a look at the patents that already exist at gb.espacenet.com.

While posting this I've come up with a better idea for hand powered pressure washer type system. Pinched it from the latest Super Soaker that I bought. Swap working fluid for water in pumping system. Use unpressurised reservoir. Use an elastic pressurised reservoir to provide pressure to working fluid. You can do this with an elastic membrane or a piston with a spring, or however else you fancy. Works a lot better than the average sprayer.

What do I win if I've guessed your idea? (BTW I think the above is probably obvious to one skilled in the art, which I'm not)

At work we have an old fire extinguisher that we modified so you can fill with water and then add air through an innertube valve to pressurise, works a treat, we use it on site sometimes if we can't get a hose to where we're working.

toys19
    Free Member

Hmm, I used to work in "innovation counselling" which is exactly what everyone is trying to do here. I'm not sure that "innovation counselling" is always a good idea. The most significant things I discovered were

1) There are lots of "inventors" out there who have no idea how things work and are very disappointed when they discover that their idea doesn't. (I'm not saying this is you BBB, I'm just making an observation)

Result – make sure you know it works and avoid armchair experts who probably can help you very little (fail you shouldn't have bothered posting here)

2) The crappest wierdest and stupidest ideas that you never expect to even work never mind be successful often are very successful. What the average engineer thinks is a bad idea and will fail has no bearing what so ever on what will actually succeed. All that really counts is a conviction for the idea, drive, self belief, determination, lots of hard work and the ability to take what seem like killer knock backs. Oh and money.

Result – The naysayers on here have no idea what there is a market for or not, they just cannot see it themselves. Where you need advise is what to make it from, how to make it, testing, and marketing. What some see as a niche may well eventually drive a significant portion of the marketplace.

I say go for it. You have an idea, you can see the market.

The most helpful comment above was this

dmetcalfe – Member
    so far been happy with my mobi washer, just need to remember to charge it, but if i dont i can always run it from the car, just more hassle

Which shows that the logic (why have a pump action when you have power at the car) does not tie up with the reality (running off 12 volts in the car can be a pain in the arse.)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘if i invented a dirt blaster without the need for power would it be a good idea?’ is closed to new replies.