Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • If I buy a used van do I pay VAT?
  • Paceman
    Free Member

If I buy a used van to use privately as a bike van do I pay VAT?

Andyhilton
    Free Member

Yes.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Not if VAT has already been paid by a previous purchaser. If you are buying from a VAT registered company then VAT will probably have to be added. Ask the seller.

Paceman
    Free Member

So i’m assuming adverts that state No VAT mean it’s included or already been paid?

e.g. http://vans.autotrader.co.uk/makemodel/make/volkswagen/sellertype/private/stock-item-id/at8a6afb4535ce64ab0135d387552d7456/advert

druidh
    Free Member

That means it’s already been paid

Paceman
    Free Member

That makes sense, cheers guys.

Rubber_Buccaneer

If the add says ‘NO VAT’ or ‘VAT PAID’ I would expect that to mean that VAT was paid by whoever bought the van in the first place or a later second hand buyer. In short you will just have to pay the price you agree, no VAT will be added.

It is always worth double checking with the seller.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Paceman – Member
    So i’m assuming adverts that state No VAT mean it’s included or already been paid?

e.g. http://vans.autotrader.co.uk/makemodel/make/volkswagen/sellertype/private/stock-item-id/at8a6afb4535ce64ab0135d387552d7456/advert

Cheers Paceman i have been looking for a new van, looks a cracker will give it a look.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Ha, stevewhyte has fallen for the sell a shonky old van scam!

igm

If a dealer buys a van for £1000 and sells it for £1200, I thought VAT was payable on the £200 difference. No?

amplebrew

igm – Member
    If a dealer buys a van for £1000 and sells it for £1200, I thought VAT was payable on the £200 difference. No?

The dealer will pay vat on their profit, but the customer won’t have to pay any; as long as any previous owner paid the vat when they bought it.

There are a lot of vans for sale these days with no vat, as more folks are buying them as private vehicle’s.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

As said above if a dealer is selling it what ever age he will charge vat.Private people may do or not.I brought a new van back in 2004 paying vat hurts as i cant get it back.
    Watch out there are alot of S–t vans about secondhand.

nealglover
    Free Member

As said above if a dealer is selling it what ever age he will charge vat.

not really true, if the Van is liable for VAT then it will be charged, if it isnt liable for VAT, then it would be illegal to charge it.

Private people may do or not.

If the seller is not VAT registered (ie “private”) then they Cant charge VAT, no matter how much they might want to.

They can increase the price if they want, but they cant charge VAT.

(and after they sell it, the van will stop being liable for VAT permenantly)

I brought a new van back in 2004 paying vat hurts as i cant get it back.
    Watch out there are alot of S–t vans about secondhand.

With that bit, I couldn’t agree more !

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘If I buy a used van do I pay VAT?’ is closed to new replies.