Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • If every adult in the World lost a stone would the Earth weigh less?
  • SilentSparky
    Free Member

getonyourbike
    Free Member

No.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Where would this stone of weight loss go?

Drac

Is this another Lance thread?

Junkyard
    Free Member

No but the people on it would

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Only if they all got on a treadmill at the same time.

Trimix
    Free Member

No. What they didnt eat to lose the weight will still be on the earth.

Its a bit like drinking the contents of your Camel back to lose weight on your bike.

Solo
    Free Member

Is this another Lance thread?

Is there any other thread on here ?.

Still, this could be the 2013 version of planes and conveyor belts…
    😯

piemonster

What you really need is a giant poop gun to fire doings into space, then your talking

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Depends.

If they all did it by exercise then they’d breathe out a few kg’s of CO2 and water. A proportion of which would be lost into space?

If they all went on a diet it wouldn’t as we’d use less land for agriculture therefore sequest more CO2 into the ground (assuming trees grow back)?

The above assumes we lose some atmosphere all the time anyway, which is probably a bigger effect so any change would be negligable? And assumes that eating/doing more creates more atmosphere.

binners

What would happen if everyone in the world had a massive poo at the same time?

SilentSparky
    Free Member

What if it was through exercise so that food consumed is the same?

Solo
    Free Member

What you really need is a giant poop gun to fire doings into space, then your talking

Baring in mind that matter can neither be created or destroyed.

Just why are we making the Earth, lighter ?.

The season is weeks away.

andrewh
    Free Member

Still, this could be the 2013 version of planes and conveyor belts…

If a plane was trying to take off from a treadmill, would it loose weight?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

drains would get blocked. Unpleasant!

honeybadgerx

Although this does bring about the question as to how you would ‘weigh’ the earth? Normally you consider weight as the effect of the earth’s gravity upon the mass of an object, so how would we consider it in terms of weighing the earth?

I’d also like to see everyone on the planet run in a westerly direction in the hope of speeding up time so I can go home early…

alex222
    Free Member

The mass of the Earth would change by 6.4*10^-14% by my calculations

glupton1976
    Free Member

Interesting question, but not quite as interesting as – would there be less energy on earth if people burned off all the excess energy they have stored as fat? I’m thinking there would be less energy, but also that global warming would go into over drive.

piemonster

Just why are we making the Earth, lighter ?.

Who knows, I think lighter is in this season.

honeybadgerx

Baring in mind that matter can neither be created or destroyed.

That Einstein bloke might argue with you on that one.

Solo
    Free Member

HoneyBadger.

What about that Higgs Basson particle, eh ?,

honeybadgerx

excess energy they have stored as fat

Ah, but they don’t store energy, they just store mass.

theotherjonv

Impossible. My family of 4 only have 2 lavvies, and I’m not sharing.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yes, so too if they all farted at the same time the gasses would have a “gastronomic” effect on the weather patterns and maybe the Sun would come out and we’d all get a tan. We could line all humankind up at one “edge” of the world (the world is flat don’t forget), right near the waterfalls face them inland towards the Sun, fart, and we’d be propelled about 2500 bahillion miles heading for a very hot ball of gas. If we did it the other way around we might just blow ourselves up, so, so take that into consideration when planning this event please.

That apart, no, you are relying on each person carring a stone and I don’t, not that I know of. If they all lost one stone each, or indeed carried one, then we’d have random piles of stones everywhere. Nd what constitutes a stone, is it just a fat pebble?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Although this does bring about the question as to how you would ‘weigh’ the earth? Normally you consider weight as the effect of the earth’s gravity upon the mass of an object, so how would we consider it in terms of weighing the earth?

Weight is measured in newtons, so presumably we’d look at the gravitational pull of the sun.

You’re thinking of mass, which you use a ballance calibrated so it reads out your mass in kg based on a known acceleration due to gravity (i.e. your weight in newtons, divided by 9.81 is you mass in kg). Your mass (or the planets mass) doesn’t change (well, except ona quantum level) if you alter the gravity acting on it.

Solo
    Free Member

Interesting question, but not quite as interesting as – would there be less energy on earth if people burned off all the excess energy they have stored as fat? I’m thinking there would be less energy, but also that global warming would go into over drive.

Whatever, the main thing would be that there’d be less fat in the world.

What if it went too far though 😯 , what if fat became of limited supply, a kinda fat shortage ?.
    Heavens above !.

honeybadgerx

What about the Higgs Basson particle, eh ?

I thought that was to do with certain sub-atomic particles not having a mass corresponding to their energy levels?

Solo
    Free Member

I thought that was to do with certain sub-atomic particles not having a mass corresponding to their energy levels?

Yeah… I knew that. Just checkin….

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

What about the Higgs Basson particle, eh ?
    I thought that was to do with certain sub-atomic particles not having a mass corresponding to their energy levels? being a wind instrument.

piemonster

Utter tosh, you telling me you’ve never done an alfresco doodoo???

Solo
    Free Member

Well done Flashy, stay on your feet.

Solo
    Free Member

Meh, in the peasant housing across the road from me. Its 2 bedrooms and 3 loos. Plenty to go round.

andrewh
    Free Member

you are relying on each person carring a stone and I don’t, not that I know of. If they all lost one stone each, or indeed carried one, then we’d have random piles of stones everywhere. Nd what constitutes a stone, is it just a fat pebble?

I don’t agree. If everyone lost a stone, the chances of them ending in piles would next to nothing. We are talking about stones small enough to be carried, and then dropped without being noticed, so they would be very small stones. 7bn small stones spread over the part of the earth’s surface which is populated are very unlikely to end up in piles.
    There may be some clumping by chance, have you just blundered into Sorites paradox?

franksinatra

A while ago someone linked to a brilliant website that answered questions like this. can anyone remeber what it was. Science type stuff with stick men drawings?

Torminalis
    Free Member

How many people in the world would die if they lost a stone?

A while ago someone linked to a brilliant website that answered questions like this

That’ll either be

Wolfram Alpha

or

xkcd: What if?

whatnobeer
    Free Member

A while ago someone linked to a brilliant website that answered questions like this. can anyone remeber what it was. Science type stuff with stick men drawings?

‘What if’ by the guy who does xkcd

http://what-if.xkcd.com/

piemonster

I think you find it HERE

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Some elements of the atmosphere are lost all the time and renewed by other processes. The earth is always getting lighter. This regardless if dieting.

Cougar

Twitter would crash from the resultant DDoS.

scuzz
    Free Member

The Earth is weightless, orbiting around the sun… Dobedobedo

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘If every adult in the World lost a stone would the Earth weigh less?’ is closed to new replies.