• This topic has 42 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Smee.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Idiot driver
  • coffeeking
    Free Member

Not seen a driver complaint yet this week so I'll do one myself!

On the way home came across a car doing 30mph in a dry, (initially) empty NSL. Stayed back and overtook cleanly and swiftly without really slowing from my own 55ish, purposefully left a large gap before pulling in, then WHAM – full beam from them. Blinded by the light I've scrubbed some speed while I flip my mirror down and move my head out of the way so I can continue to identify the road ahead. The lights go off, so I ignore it and continue for a few hundred yards and realise that the car behind is gaining *rapidly* as I ease off towards an upcoming 30 limit. Car sits 1-3m from my backside, full-beaming me as I slow down for the changed limit. As I slow to a near stop for a roundabout with traffic coming, the driver starts flashing the full beam at me. At this point I'm baffled. Surely an angry person or someone surprised while dozing on the road would have gotten over it by now (30-45 seconds after the overtake) so maybe there's a problem with my car. As there was only me and the car there by this point I stopped and got out, checked my car over briefly and walked back to the other car calmly and looking confused. I stopped a yard or so from the drivers door and bent over as they wound their window down, at this point I spotted it was a woman and so intentionally tried not to look overly imposing. I asked

"Hi, what's the problem" and got
    "Get the **** out of my face, **** off, get out of my ****ing way" and proceeded to drive into me as she drove round my stopped car and screamed off like an idiot.

Baffled. Some people bewilder me.

crispybacon
    Free Member

did she look like this by any chance ?

skidartist
    Free Member

It was actually an awkward sexual advance, she was giving you her number in morse.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I was road raged by a woman at about 5.45am last week who was driving her Nissan Micra Active at over 100mph weaving across all three lanes of the A46 coming out of Coventry. She was most upset as I had adhered to the usual rules of the road of overtaking to the offside and proceeded to sit about 2 foot off my rear end. I was very suprised to see it was a woman aged in her 50's. Personally I think the tablets hadnt kicked in for her, she then peeled off towards Leamington nearly stuffing it into the armco.
    So many angry inconsiderate drivers on the roads these days.

bassspine
    Free Member

I've often said if ypu want to see really aggressive driving, watch out for a woman on her menstrual bicycle

OldGitSurrey
    Free Member

Crispy, that's the new Nissan with triple driver airbags, isn't it?

Yeah, she was coming on to you! You didn't spot the body chemistry, did ya? :mrgreen:

Women and cars? Who are they trying to kid ❓ 😛

zaskar
    Free Member

Never ever get out of your car in case some nutter stabs you know matter how tough you are!

In this case I think anyone would think their bumper was hanging off etc and being warned.

Was this on a dual carriage way or something?

Smee
    Free Member

Sounds about what i've come to expect on the roads.

allthepies
    Free Member

>Was this on a dual carriage way or something?

Nope.

westkipper
    Free Member

The act of driving and the immense amount of on-tap power available,I think allows personality defects to rise to the surface with some drivers.
    In an ideal world there should probably be a psychological suitability element to the driving test, and that, sadly, at least 20% of drivers would fail it.
    Congratulations, coffeking, today you correctly identified one of these failures! 🙄

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Should have hit her

jon1973
    Free Member

did she look like this by any chance ?

That car looks like the General Lee from The Dukes of Hazzard – if it is, she's going to have trouble getting out.

skidartist
    Free Member

If it is then Daisy Duke has let herself go a bit!

Perhaps it isn't the driver, it could be a novelty airbag. The driver is somewhere smothered underneath

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

my mrs was in the car this afternoon with our 2 year old in the back.

Straight narrow road near us, mrs just about to reach passing place when woman in merc screams head on past the passing place right up to the bumper.

In summary, merc driving woman goes bonkers cos my mrs won't reverse 100m back out of the way, hurling abuse inc reversing and screaming right up to bumper again.

I mean, wtf? It can't make even her happy to create such a hostile situation out of nothing can it? The Mrs was a bit shaken by it.

NZCol

I play a game every day called 'wind a driver up'. SImple game, wait for some inconsiderte fckr to try and sneak in somewhere and block them off. I really enjoy it, relaxes me as I see really really important people (opbviously as they don;t seem to be able to wait like the rest of the world) get really really wound up. One day someone will punch me or something but I'm not that bothered really. Helps to have a very very fast car which can close gaps nicely. NZ drivers truly are the worst in the world and seem to rejoice in undertaking, weaving and generally not indicating. I feel this is my new mission in life. 😀

mrchrispy

bollocks where you 'concerned' that there was 'a problem with your car', you knew there was agro on the cards and thats why you got out.

If I happen to wind someone up that much I believe it's my duty to carry on as its funny as hell.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Theres donkeys everywhere these days. i drove to Borders earlier from the house and within 1 mile someone pulled up behind me as i was going the speed limit and stayed on my tail with a headlamp out.. i slowed down for the slippy road filtering onto the A9 and the car pulled up so close before pulling out it nearly hit me.I was still within 1.5 miles of the house and still not reached any speed limit,yet i get these donkeys in such a short space of time. My lights work, the brake lights work, i dont have fogs on.. it reminds me of riding in the summer. you slow down or have to stop and you get flies on yer trail within seconds.

backkkk the fooook offfffffffffff!

user-removed
    Free Member

Leaving a concert at the Sage, Gateshead a few months back – Mrs was driving. The car park is woefully tiny with no clear rights of way so leaving along with 400 others can get a bit tense.

After waiting for about five minutes to get out of our space it became apparent that no-one was ever going to let us out so I say to Mrs Removed that it's getting daft and she's just going to have to barge out.

She does and we get a bit of a dirty look from the occupants of the car who's had to let us out – four women inside.

They pull alongside us (a dangerous and somewhat aggressive manouver) and the passenger starts making gestures at us. I smile a lot and wave like the queen. She carries on, and it's clear she wants me to wind down the window – I blow her a kiss. Eventually I do wind down the window and she says, "Excuse me, but your lights aren't on".

Ah, ahem, yes, thankyou… 😳

martinxyz
    Free Member

oh a hell driving keyboard warrior. havent seen one of those here yet.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

the people who drive in this way – how do they survive? I mean, if they drive like that all the time they must have serious crashes now and again?

Muddy@rseTony
    Free Member

the people who drive in this way – how do they survive? I mean, if they drive like that all the time they must have serious crashes now and again?

From what I've seen recently most of them are junction hoping (M25) so at risk for a short period of time. Few drivers can manage such intense stupidity for longer drives especially in the parking network of the South East motorways. I suspect those that can keep the repair shops or flowerists busy.

I do remember a TV program, I think it was the BBC 'The Battle for Britains Road', showing how some people just cannot cope with anybody being in front/overtaking them. Only had it once and it was so strange to see the driver behind practically having a fit whilst trying to overtake on a 30mph urban road with islands every few 100 metres plus speed cameras which he slowed down for when they were covering the other side of the road.

And if it was that program the reviewers note a sad case of "How about that angry woman who said the cyclists were holding her up and that they had the smallest willys she'd ever seen"

GrahamS

There appeared to be FOUR seperate accidents yesterday, at the south side of the Forth Bridge.

There is often fair bit of random lane changing there, so I suspect the main cause was people jumping in their cars at 5:30 and driving off, oblivious that all their windows had misted up in the cold and they couldn't see out!

coffeeking
    Free Member

bollocks where you 'concerned' that there was 'a problem with your car', you knew there was agro on the cards and thats why you got out.

Nice attempt at baiting there mrchrispy, didn't work 😀

Zaskar – I see your point but I don't live my life in fear of being stabbed, and as I could see reason at all for the strobing I assumed there must be something very wrong that I wasn't aware of!

Still, its another day eh.

ski
    Free Member

Rag week

😉

CJWeekes
    Free Member

NZ drivers truly are the worst in the world and seem to rejoice in undertaking

I'm pretty sure undertaking isn't an offence over there. Just means you have to look over your left shoulder when moving between lanes (not a bad idea wherever you are!);)

DezB
    Free Member

mrchrispy was the other driver??

Similar thing happened to me couple of nights ago – driving home from a gig around midnight, 40 limit, NOTHING ELSE on the road, so this taxi pulls out in front of me. Couldn't wait, what? 2 seconds for me to go past. So I simply whizz past, not close, not hooting, just quick and carry on my way. Taxi whacks on the full beam? Why? How and why did I upset him?
    There are just some f6&king wierd ****ts driving around in this country.

web_toed_marsdener
    Free Member

Never get out of the vehicle…

A mate of mine got cut up coming off the M62 at Ainley top. He flashed him and the guy went mental- slowing down, trying to pull back alongside, erratic braking, gestures out the window, etc. They both pull on to the roundabout and the nutter tries to off him onto the roundabout. My mate manages to pull onto a lay-by, with the nutter behind. There are 3 lads in the nutter's vehicle. My mate gets out and the nutter floors it straight at him, tearing the door off my mate's vehicle and narrowly missing him.

Loads of witnesses, court hearing in a month. Hopefully he will get sent down. Police seem to think it's likely.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I was road raged by a woman at about 5.45am last week who was driving her Nissan Micra Active at over 100mph weaving across all three lanes of the A46 coming out of Coventry. She was most upset as I had adhered to the usual rules of the road of overtaking to the offside

I'd have stayed behind at 70mph and not made any attempt at overtaking a car weaving across the road at over 100mph.

You should have hauled on the anchors coffeeking a la the stw favoured remedy for wheelsuckers.

Serioulsy though some people just don't like being overtaken and perhaps she thought it was a 30mph speed limit. Complete over reaction on her part though. I certainly wouldn't have bothered getting out to check my car. Don't you drive what some would consider a 'boy racer' type car? Perhaps she thought you were driving like a ****. Or were your front fog lights on?

Lots of people turn into to total loonies behind the wheel of a car though.

kevonakona
    Free Member

On the bike yesterday. Short sharp hil which is taken at speed on out of the saddle doesn't scrub off that much speed given you are coming towards a school crossing with backed up traffic. Taxi tried to overtake up the hill, i held my ground 4 feet from the parked cars (in case of random door opening), taxi ended up looking like a **** straddling the white line waiting in a queue for teh lights to change. I'm just gratefull he was gracious enough to let me have my roadspace, he could have easily squeezed me into the side.

So eejit but good lad in the same breath.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Don't you drive what some would consider a 'boy racer' type car? Perhaps she thought you were driving like a ****. Or were your front fog lights on?

Not as my daily driver, that's my weekend toy. This was in my nice quiet diesel estate on the way home from work. If I'd been driving like a moron or had my fogs on I'd have carried on my way as normal, accepting that someone was annoyed with me with justification (I'm usually quite logical!)

You should have hauled on the anchors coffeeking a la the stw favoured remedy for wheelsuckers.

I've only ever done that once, it performed its intended function perfectly, but I'd not recommend it!

web_toed_marsdener – not a nice story, but one of the rare ones. As I say, the risk of having a drug-crazed lunatic is fairly minimal so getting out is a perfectly acceptable risk IMO. It's not as though I'd been having an argument or a bit of argy bargy in the lane with them, or been preceded by some dodgy driving. I've found it's fairly easy to dodge out of the way of a car that's decided to go from stopped to runnign you over anyway, they're very poor at quick actions.

I think people automatically make dodgy responses in cars. Assuming someone's done something you don't like why would you automatically speed up and hunt them down with full beam if you're a lone woman unwilling to confront/explain what it was you're knickers were in a twist over?!

tonyg2003

You should see some of the idiot driving I'm seen whilst I have been road racing over the years. RR down here is always on incredibly quiet roads but being held up for a couple of seconds seem to drive car users into a complete rage. I've seen people swerve at the oncoming peleton, try absolutely impossible overtakes of a peleton and been forced off the road driving a lead car (at 20mph FFS).

However it's always funniest when the car drivers get out to give you some grieff and you show them your police notification. Strangely although drivers (immensely annoyed to be held up, but strangely never seeing the irony of getting out of their car to spend time talking to the cyclists) can be huge rages they always calm down the face of 80 annoyed cyclists.

thegreatape
    Free Member

If there is someone in front/behind/anywhere near me driving like a gimp I just want them to be as far away from me as possible. As a police instructor told me way back, you can't drive anyone else's car, so just concentrate on driving yours safely.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I agree thegreatape – in my other car I just drive off and leave them to fume (without trying normally) but in this one I can't out-run/manouvre a shopping trolley (hence the reason for passing her when I saw an empty road and no reason to slow down – maintain momentum!) and people stuck to your arse flashing dont seem to just drive off when you slow down and wait for them to pass.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I suppose not. As you alluded to earlier, some people just go crazy behind the wheel.

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

I once was driving on a duel carridgeway and there was a car in the outside lane doing about 60 (no traffic around at this point except him and me) and I caught them up and wanted to overtake.
    I move out into the outside behind them waiting for them to move over. Nothing, just proceeds to stay in the outside lane.
    I think OK, not seen me so I flash my lights of which I get the response of him putting his 4 way flashers on and shaking his hand in the air.
    So I sit there and wait a little bit and nothing, so the only option to get past is to undertake, I pull back in and start to undertake.
    As I start to get along side him his wife and passengers (all 60+) are mouthing something at me and the guy speeds up matching my speed. I speed up trying to get past him and eventually get enough in front of him to be able to pull back out as there was now some traffic in the inside lane approaching. As I pull out he starts to flash his lights and then gets really close to my back bumper (doing about 80 at this point) and we go on like this for a little while until he gives it up and slows back to his 60 still in the outside lane.
    Anyway about an hour later I get home and about 5 mins later the phone rings and it was the police.
    The police man questioned me if I had been travelling along the duel carridge way in my car and if there had been an incident.
    I laughed and said yeah there was a man who wouldn't pull over on the duel carridge way and although I knew I shouldn't undertake I was forced to do so as he wouldn't move over.
    The police man laughed and said I thought your story would be different and asked me to give my side of the story.
    Afterwards he said that the man had gone into his local police station and reported me for nearly causing an accident. He told me if I had enough room to undertake he had enough room to pull in and he was breaking the highway code for not doing so and would go back to the man and warn him about breaking the highway code!! He seemed more on my side that the man who had reported it.
    He appologised and said that as they weren't there they couldn't press charges but would have a stern word with the man and told me to have a nice day!

GrahamS

I'm likewise confused by folk that don't appear to pay any attention at all to the speed limit.

M8 last night (a crappy road with multiple speed limits) I had folk driving up my arse because I was happily tootling along (on the inside lane) at 55 in the 50 zone; when we get to the 70 bit I then pass loads of people who haven't sped up, then we get to 40 limit for roadworks, I slow to 40ish and the same folk I passed in the 70 are now behind me and apparently quite angry. Weird.

Likewise on the Queensferry Road in Edinburgh. You get folk speeding through the 30 and 40 bits, but when they finally get on to the NSL bit they just carry on at 50?

I remain convinced that this sign…

…means absolutely nothing to some people.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I'm likewise confused by folk that don't appear to pay any attention at all to the speed limit….I was happily tootling along (on the inside lane) at 55 in the 50 zone

😆

(only joking GrahamS I know what you're saying)

GrahamS

😀 yeah.. well.. 55-displayed is just over 50-actual in my car (according to the sat nav). Honest guv.

I seemed to be one of the slowest cars on the road at that point, but if everyone else was in such a hurry then why didn't they then speed up when they were legally allowed to do so?

coffeeking
    Free Member

I agree – the M8 especially through glasgow itself seems to be mental – no-one knows what speed to do so they just seem to average around 60. There's also no sense in the lane layout, some are joint straight and slip roads, some are just slip roads, so if you stay left you can't guarantee that you aren't going to get filtered off somewhere even by reading the lines on the road or the signs. I can understand why some people resort to just sitting in the outside lane and doing whatever they please.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Its been a good week in Bristol, so far we've had:

1 car driving the wrong way down the road, through a blind bend at that.

Headlight, brakelight and sidelight defects too numerous to mention.

Blown exhausts x3

Driving in the pitch black with no lights on x4.

Bus pulling out on two cyclists lit up like Christmas trees x1

Coat caught in door? Never mind, it'll still be there after 5 miles of being dragged down the tarmac x1

Overtaking on a blind brow, after being seemingly happy to sit on my tail for 1 mile of clear road x1

'Lets overtake the cyclist, even if there is no room to do so before we hit the bus coming the other way, which I'd have to stop for anyway' x3

Red light? What Red light? Numbers too numerous to mention

Poor showing by the cyclists, completely outclassed by the motoring public this week, all we've had are:

Red light? What Red light? Numbers too numerous to mention

No lights, dark clothing, absent reflectors? Numbers too numerous to mention

1x bag obscuring rear light

1x wheel so out of true the brakes have been unhooked

1x run out of brake pads? never mind – use your shoes instead!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Idiot driver’ is closed to new replies.