Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 576 total)
  • iDieting
  • kevin1911

I stuck with it for 2 or 3 weeks, and did start to lose weight, but eventually ran out of meal and snack ideas.Got sick of eggs for breaky, and I ran out of things to do with beans that didn’t take hours to make.

Since iDave created the short guide to the diet, I wonder if those who have found it successful would mind creating their own more detailed versions of what has and hasn’t worked for them. I think many of us would find that most useful.

I await the MTFU, it’s-oh-so-easy, are-you-stooopid with patience 😉

philconsequence
    Free Member

its impossible to get bored with eggs for breakfast… just scramble them and coat it with a healthy dose of reggae reggae sauce.

BigJohn

I’m on it to a large extent. The results have surprised me in that I feel fitter and healthier than I’ve done for years. I’m still losing weight, slowly, which was always my plan.

If I eat pasta before a ride, that seems to give me a good energy boost, same with a cake or can of Sprite mid ride. But I find that I feel a bit not so good when I eat bread & stuff at the weekend.

Maybe I’ve always had a problem with certain foods, but have never been off them long enough before to see the difference.

It was fridge chow mein this lunchtime. Onion, mushrooms, 1 slice streaky bacon, chopped up, half a jar of anchovies that we opened a week ago, all fried up with a couple of eggs stirred in. Very yummy.

scruff
    Free Member

I got 2 big packs of beer-can, cut it into strips and cooked it, divides into portions , bagged in freezer. For brekkie I am having eggs and bacon or baked beans* and bacon.

* yes, proper Heinz ones.

Solo
    Free Member

I await the MTFU, it’s-oh-so-easy, are-you-stooopid with patience

Don’t beat yourself up mate.

Adapt, improvise.

I don’t do many pulses anymore.
    As you point out, they can be time consuming unless you are using the tinned or tetra packed beans.

I keep more to the thought of lots of plants and animals.
    Keep it varied, within reason.

Why not a kipper and some cherry toms for breakfast ?.

As iDave once posted.

Breakfast can be the food you’d eat at anytime of the day.
    Doesn’t have to be special food, just for breakfast.

Somedays I’m really too busy for breakfast and its just a good handful of walnut halves (but not too often).

Today, lunch was mackerel fillet, cherry toms and hummous.

Dinner will be an hour, 90 mins before the gym.
    Spinach salad including a chopped basil, pepper and…..yeap, cherry toms. (did I mention I like cherry tomatoes….)
    With wild alaskan salmon, dressed with olive oil and cyder vinegar dressing, pinch of salt and black pepper.

😉

pirahna
    Free Member

I’m a late starter to the iDave diet having only discovered it last week, so first week on the diet.

The original poster asked for a lunch suggestion, I wandered over to Sainsburys metro and bought a tuna and bean salad which came with a pot of chilli sauce. Very tasty.

Mattie_H
    Free Member

bigdawg – Member

Couple of things Ive noticed though…
    When racing I dont need as much drink or gels as I used to (500ml will now last me virtually the race – I used to take three of these, and maybe two or three gels as opposed to every 20 minutes)

This is something that I’ve noticed as well. I’ve been on iDave fully for a couple of months and have lost just over a stone in that time. What’s really striking is the extent to which what I need to eat before and after riding has decreased. From a couple of flapjacks before a ride and then every hour when I’m out, I’m now down to a handful of PowerBar energy shots each hour and have never felt like I’m lacking in fuel or energy. Given that I’ve been injured for much of this period and have only started to ride properly again in the past few weeks it’s also amazing how much difference losing weight has made in terms of speed and efficiency. I’m not really any slower than I was than before my back blew up.

iDave
    Free Member

I had 10 days off it as a trial run and put on 6 pounds. I just had bread, potatoes and some cake. Didn’t pig out.

But I don’t care now as I’m back in Geneva, running and swimming tonight, the sun is out and the views are delicious.

Lots of paleo recipes here, which aren’t too far off iDave territory.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-recipes/

I worked on nutrition with a guy who got a medal in a national TT last weekend – he got to his lightest weight and highest power after just 4 weeks, whilst still using sports carbs but in a more considered way. Increasing protein intake significantly was part of the plan. The rest is in a lead lined box.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Me and the missus started it at the beginning of July. Started off well but haven’t stuck to it religiously. There have been a few weeks where I’ve had more than one day off, like if I’ve been away somewhere for a long weekend, which has happened a few times.

For the most part though, I’ve managed to stick to stick to the whole avoiding cereal-derived stuff, spuds, rice and dairy thing. Main meals are all iDave-compliant.

Chocolate and beer intakes have been creeping up to their previous levels in the last couple of weeks. Feeling a bit fed up and comfort eating/drinking. So need to try and curb that.

But me and the missus have both managed to lose about 10lbs and achieve a shift in our eating habits pretty successfully.

Think doing it in the summer is the easy bit. Can see it being harder to keep to it when the nights draw in and you want to get something down you that’ll stick to your ribs.

iDave
    Free Member

As it’s not a low fat diet why is winter an issue?

Big spicy stews?? Curries?? Steak and bottle of Amarone?

ourmaninthenorth

Three days in so far. I’m definitely not eating enough, as I get hungry in the afternoons.

But, I like the idea of it. and I do have two stone to shift, and a bad refined sugar habit to kick so I don’t get diabetes.

Solo
    Free Member

Three days in so far. I’m definitely not eating enough, as I get hungry in the afternoons.

But, I like the idea of it. and I do have two stone to shift, and a bad refined sugar habit to kick so I don’t get diabetes.

Stick with it. Reading our accounts here will hopefully inspire you to keep at it.
    I also Find Mark’s writing very motivational.

Then, if my experience is anything to go by, in several months time, the hunger between meals will go away.
    This, for me was always the issue with trying to control body weight through my diet / eating habits.
    Since going initial, low GI a la iDave, and now combining this with Paleoesque choices.
    Hunger between meals is very uncommon for me now, and thus snacking just isn’t wanted / needed / doesn’t happen.

Its all good.

Thanks Dave.
    😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Hi folks 🙂

I lost 10kg up until the end of July – this was good. I wasn’t 100% strict though. I was doing a fair bit of riding to get to work, and I didn’t have a lot of energy for high intensity training to be honest. I introduced some carby snacks (usually in the form of a Twix from the vending machine) and the more I introduced the better I could ride, which actually made my weight go down.

I had basically a month off though whilst travelling back here, entertaining family and struggling with a new baby, put on 4kgs but I’m not worried cos I’m sure I’ll lose it easily. This last two weeks has been tough though since I’ve been travelling all over for job interviews and it’s hard to get iDave food at motorway service stations, and even harder to get your training in when you’re utterly knackered from 5 hours of driving and a job interview on 4 hours of broken sleep…

I suspect my body’s just terrible at burning fat, but I didn’t seem to get much better at it when I was strictly dieting. I am eating many more beans though now, finding it fairly easy to cook very beany stuff now.

Btw I was thinking about the difference between glycaemic load and glycaemic index – some foods are high GI but if you only eat a small portion (ie one biscuit) the glycaemic load could be quite low still, so would not be too much of an issue possibly.

So by that logic having a ‘healthy’ bowl of pasta or a sandwich could actually be worse for your weight than a Twix. Although I dunno about the numbers, I could be wrong.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

How do you manage to put on 4kg’s? Surely you must be eating lots? Or eating unhealthy stuff? If you just eat a sensible amount of reasonably healthy food then I cant see how you can put the weight back on so easy.

molgrips
    Free Member

David, putting on 4kgs was pigging out. It was a very stressful time for loads of reasons, so I just indulged. Lots of cake and coke, and no bike.

Shifted 2.5 of those kgs in a week though when only partially back on!

donsimon
    Free Member

How can you guys be so specific about weight? I’ll bounce between 68-70kgs depending on time of day, day of week etc, before stepping into the shower or having just stepped out of shower…

molgrips
    Free Member

I used to be like that DS, but from when I started doing base training and then moved onto iDave, it doesn’t vary much any more.

But my quoted weights are first thing in the morning post-piss pre-breakfast. And not including the morning after eating something very salty, cos that adds up to 1.5kg for a day or two, ime.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

I went on it in the spring/early summer. Instantly felt amazing. Prob though was that as easy as I found it to follow the plan alcoho, boredom with the bikesl and an utter lack of motivation to excercise(case in point that I couldn’t even remember my password to log on to comment) tended to nullify weight loss. Mid summer and a new business meant hi-stress and long hours and the whole thing slipped. Time to get back on the wagon for me, feeling awful.

I agree with an earlier post, an idave recipe thread would be good.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Shifted 2.5 of those kgs in a week though when only partially back on!

iDave FTW then!

petergriffin
    Free Member

I started on Monday. Intended to start a couple of weeks ago, but postponed it for various reasons out of my controll.
    The one i’m trying is called slo-carb..looks like it’s exactly the same thing as iDave, just different name.
    I said on another thread ( couple of weeks ago) i would take some before and after pics, but decided against that. I took measurements and weight on monday morning as a reference.
    Running out of ideas already for bean dishes, but so far so good. I have seen some reference about taking Potassium, Magnesium and Calcium supplements, as the diet means you loose excess water, along with electrolytes. Potassium solved by using Lo salt. Not sure if the recommendation for supps is just at the start, or throughout the diet?
    Other half already fed up with my farting! paaaarrrp!

disco_stu
    Free Member

And not including the morning after eating something very salty, cos that adds up to 1.5kg for a day or two, ime

Salt has that much affect on your body weight?

nickname
    Free Member

I’m doing the fourhourbody/tim-ferriss diet, which I think is the same as iDave’s.

Lost almost half a stone in 2 weeks, very easy diet to follow as well.

I do find I’m eating more meat mind, and this seems to be putting up the cost of my shopping a fair whack 🙂

iDave
    Free Member

you don’t need to find ‘bean dishes’ as such, just replace rice/pasta/potato with beans of various types with various seasonings

molgrips
    Free Member

I found that worked better with some foods than other though. Curries with chickpeas or dahl was obvious, chilli with beans also yummy, but spag bol with beans instead of pasta is a bit weird.

Salt has that much affect on your body weight?

Seems to, for me. No other way of gaining 1.5kg overnight without water retention. I used to buy these pasta ready meals which were just a normal portion of pasta, but for some reason I’d be heavier for a few days after eating one, when my weight had been pretty stable otherwise. Then I realised how salty they were.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Is Cider/Cidre in?

molgrips
    Free Member

Bit sugary isn’t it?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Bollocks 🙁

Dry cider then?

Bruised belly for me then.

molgrips
    Free Member

Dunno, find out how much sugar is in it. Not sure why only red wine is on the list but I suspect that has something to do with it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ah well…you know how it gets when you begin to accept chubbiness…that’s where I am. I can still do stuff. 😐

emsz
    Free Member

I’ve read sooo much about this diet that last time I was in tesco I shunned (yes shunned!!) the pasta.

I love pasta…. 😥

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I love everything…too much, apparently 🙁

iDave
    Free Member

As long as you love baby jesus you’ll be grand.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Is that Baby Cheeses you said? My ear’s a bit waxy. 😕

iDave
    Free Member

yeah, mini baby belles, get them down you. and the mozzarella balls. you need fattening up.

molgrips
    Free Member

Dave I emailed you, did you get it?

iDave
    Free Member

got it not read it yet, too busy lifestyle advising diarydarcy

Jamie
    Free Member

doughydarcy?

molgrips
    Free Member

Hehe ok just checking the spam situation.

I think spam is allowed on the diet though?

iDave
    Free Member

spam is shite

petergriffin
    Free Member

Just found this for recipies…including lunch..
    http://robbwolf.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/The-Slow-Carb-Cookbook.pdf

Hope the link works, as i’m crap on computers.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 576 total)

The topic ‘iDieting’ is closed to new replies.