Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • identifying which Gen Apple TV
  • willv

Guy in work has lent me an Apple TV with a view to buy. How do I tell which Gen it is and does this determine whether I can apply software updates?

Ta
    Will

tragically1969
    Free Member
    jambalaya
    Free Member

From the main screen go into settings – one option is software update (you need to know his apple I’d to do the update) also there is (from memory) an “about” option which has model number you can google that and you should get a page on Apple.com with generation info. FYI the more recent boxes are smal black ones, quite old ones (gen 1) where larger and white.

Apple updates software even on older boxes FYI but you’ll want the newer ones for latest features

If you have an iPhone Apple TV is great, you can browse content (mid week min movies, iPlayer etc) on phone and play it on TV. It’s good as a standalone unit for Netflix etc but not as powerful as when combined with a phone or computer

sharkbait
    Free Member

Apple updates software even on older boxes FYI but you’ll want the newer ones for latest features

By ‘newer’ do you mean v2 or v3?

Willv: there’s only been three versions:
    v1 looks like a Mac Mini and has a HD
    v2 and v3 are both black ice hockey puck size – v3 has been about about 18 months(ish) and you cannot jailbreak it which means you really want a v2!

Model number is on the back (’tis on mine anyway.)

jambalaya
    Free Member

@sharkbait yes agreed mostly 😉

V1 white ones, IMO a bit old now and not worth buying unless very cheap
    V2 doesn’t have all the latest features (eg 720hd max) but still very good (I have one of these)
    V3 all the latest features inc 1080hd (I have one of theses also)

As always lots of rumours about new version but probably not until 2014, IMO they are great bits of kit if you have an iPhone and worth £100 new

@willy post up the model number and we’ll tell you what you have. IMO unless you want to hack it you want a v3

nunuboogie
    Free Member

you should be able to look the serial number up selfsolve.apple.com it will be printed in the tiniest of writing on the base.

willv

thanks guys i’ll get the number off it and look it up. Its the small black version and will be mostly used with an Ipad mini

will

bamboo
    Free Member

Don’t pay too much – I got a v3 from the apple refurb store for £75 last week.

jambalaya
    Free Member

It will work really well with an ipad mini. Its a v2 or v3 then and as @bamboo says dont pay too much as new price isnt outrageous

I challenge you to watch the tans savoie and/or provence films on vimeo and not but it 🙂

By the way i trust the owner gave you the airplay password (assuming he set one up) you’ll have to in it to your wifi. When you play a video on your ipad you should see the airplay logo (square with a triangle) you can send music to tv. You can also log in directly to vimeo and fickr and see your icloudphoto stream. I dont do thatmuch directly from apple tv box mostly i am controlling it from phone/ipad – if (when !) you buy it you can use the “remote” app to control it

sharkbait
    Free Member

Don’t pay too much – I got a v3 from the apple refurb store for £75 last week.

v2 going for between £130 and £230 in eBay now as they are seen as more desirable.

hammyuk
    Free Member

V3 are only £75 new on amazon

jambalaya
    Free Member

@sharkbait – sounds like I’ll be selling the old one then ! No brainer for me to get £200 for the low res old one, buy a v3 and have money towards an ipad air/5

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘identifying which Gen Apple TV’ is closed to new replies.