Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Identifying unusual plane. Any one know the aircraft?
  • tortoisenothair
    Free Member

The old chap saw a plane fly over his house and is now worried as to what type of plane it is.

Twin propeller engines one on each wing, Large pointy tail ( almost out of proportion) silver
    in colour.

We live on the flight path to Stanstead (40 miles away) so it may have been going there or it might have been guided over use to keep it out of the way of others.

Quiet a few go over but this out has stuck out as odd.

any one help put this one to bed?

Northwind

Something like an AN-26? Cargo planes quite often have massive tails

IanMunro
    Free Member

C27?

Riksbar

P-3 into Mildenhall?

wukfit
    Free Member

what sort of size?

73030 by wukfit, on Flickr]null

poly
    Free Member

saw a plane fly over his house and is now worried as to what type of plane it is

really he’s worried because a plane flew over his house? I’d suggest he makes at from tin foil – it should stop the mind control from working…

LHS
    Free Member

A400M

tortoisenothair
    Free Member

really he’s worried because a plane flew over his house? I’d suggest he makes at from tin foil – it should stop the mind control from working…

Not worried it has flown over the house as

Quiet a few go over but this out has stuck out as odd.

Cheer for the other suggestions,
    although it only had 2 engines in total and tail fin lot bigger!

AndyF1
    Free Member

Fokker 50?

camo16
    Free Member

How’s about:

De Havilland Canada DHC-8

chewkw
    Free Member

C-7 Caribou? Is it loud with thundering engine?

De Havilland Canada DHC-4 Caribou

Do I win something?

camo16
    Free Member

Fokker Friendship:

Mahoosive tail, tick. Twin engines, tick.

AndyF1
    Free Member

mrmoofo

Lightening?

Cougar

So a plane went overhead with a tail, and an engine on each side? Wow, c’mon guys, what’s taking you so long?

In seriousness, if he’s a bit of a planespotter and lives on a flight path, http://planefinder.net/about/ might be of interest.

camo16
    Free Member

Cougar – Google Images is quicker and I can feel like I’m being helpful without really doing anything. 😉

CountZero

Unlikely to be a Caribou, not really a transatlantic transport.
    Sounds like a Transall C-160, used to get them flying in and out of Lyneham fairly regularly.
    Twin engine, very large tail:

tortoisenothair
    Free Member

Know it was a long shot with little information, but thought there might be a plane buff who would recognise it, huge tail plane twin prop.

As a classic car buff a couple of details I could soon tell you what it was.

Just a thought.

Cheers all.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I saw a car today .It was old.And had 4 wheels…one at each corner.Any ideas?

TuckerUK
    Free Member

I saw a car today .It was old.And had 4 wheels…one at each corner.Any ideas?

Well, very few cars have the wheels at the corners…so…Mini? 😉

legend
    Free Member

Going by the standard of some of the earlier suggestions, it could have been:

Rorschach
    Free Member

No.It was bigger…..or it could have just been very close.And it was blue.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Legend, top work!

LsD
    Free Member

Are you sure it wasn’t a sticker?

CountZero

It could have been a Fairchild Provider:

The thing is, we’re going by a third-party description, and, frankly there aren’t that many twin-engine, prop-driven transport aircraft with large tails, and even fewer that are likely to be seen in the UK, because they’re military, and don’t fly into the UK.
    My guess would be the C-160, its tail looks disproportionately large compared to its fuselage, it’s twin-prop, and they fly into the UK.

ivnickkate
    Free Member
    chewkw
    Free Member

CountZero – Member

Unlikely to be a Caribou, not really a transatlantic transport.

I can spot a Caribou with my eyes closed simply by listening to their engine sound. I used to live near an airfield with them flying off every now and then … well daily and every few hours. They were mainly for military use.

molgrips
    Free Member

I can spot a Caribou with my eyes closed

I’m not sure that’s technically possible. Recognise one with your eyes closed, maybe 🙂

CountZero

I can spot a Caribou with my eyes closed simply by listening to their engine sound. I used to live near an airfield with them flying off every now and then … well daily and every few hours. They were mainly for military use.

I know they’re mainly military aircraft, built by De Haviland, Canada. Where was the base? Not the UK, I’m sure of that.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Identifying unusual plane. Any one know the aircraft?’ is closed to new replies.