Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Identifying frame cracks
  • bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

How do you tell if a crack on your paintwork is superficial or affects the underlying metal? Am I right in saying you spray some light oil on the area, wipe off the excess and if the area round the crack becomes damp after riding, its bad news?

toys19
    Free Member

it could just go under the paint and leak out without there being a crack in the underlying metal. So only way to tell is to strip the paint. In the meantime mark the crack and see if it grows under use.

It might not, lots of Alu frames are born with very small cracks – liquation cracking – which do not always grow.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

It is creaking quite badly under pedalling too so I'm pretty sure its gone 😥

nickjb
    Free Member

Probably worth rubbing the paint back, then.

toys19
    Free Member

Probably worth rubbing the paint back, then.

Indeed and then take a piccy! What bike?

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Dont really want to have a go at the paint as the frame is not that old, maybe tomorrow if the crack grows after riding;

Pic now

cynic-al
    Free Member

Looks bad IMO. Creaking is not nec a frame crack.

tommid
    Free Member

Oh so nasty…
    You may die on tomorrows ride.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

The manufacturer has added a reinforcing gusset in this area on the 2010 frames so it must be a high stress point.

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

That is pretty comprehensively f**ked.

toys19
    Free Member

Does not look good, what frame is it?

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

DW 5 Spot

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Thats defo a crack. Right on the HAZ of the weld.

spokebloke
    Free Member

Thats defo a crack. Right on the HAZ of the weld.

From the photo (which may be misleading) the crack is in the body of the weld, not the HAZ.

Rub it back, let's have a look.
    5 Spots are ali right? You'll need a dye penetrant test.
    But it looks borked.

coogan
    Free Member

If it is cracked, Turner will sort you out. I'd email them the pic and see what they say.

stucol
    Free Member

I would say its stuffed.

The fact that the new ones are reinforced in that area points to a good case for a new replacement.

My 06 Teocali had a similar failure and the 07 frame had a far bigger tube in the same area. 07 frame still going strong.

Macavity
    Free Member

Dye penetrant NDT.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

For god's sake don't rub it down as per some of the advice on here, that's a warranty issue and you don't want to threaten that by taking sandpaper to your frame. Take the frame back where you bought it from, and wait for the replacement.

toys19
    Free Member

You'll need a dye penetrant test.

I don't even think you would need a dye penetrant test, that's pretty obviously a crack, its on the weld and it probably started from a liquation crack, like others said go for warranty. I'd be super peeved to find that.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

It has a 2 year warranty and I know how good Turner have been with other small issues in the past, so hopefully a spanky new frame will be had.

Rickos
    Free Member

I can't make out what bit of the frame that even is! Where is it?

thekingisdead
    Free Member

From the photo (which may be misleading) the crack is in the body of the weld, not the HAZ

You're bang on right! I only gave it 1/2 a glance and the shadow looked like the transition between the bead and the HAZ! 😳

Either way its Fubar'd 😆

cynic-al
    Free Member

Rickos see my thread on the other channel.

tracknicko
    Free Member

toasted fella. i really wouldnt ride that any more.

jond
    Free Member

>For god's sake don't rub it down as per some of the advice on here, that's a warranty issue and you don't want to threaten that by taking sandpaper to your frame.

Take a scalpel to the edge of the paint and lift it off carefully – looks like there's enough gap to get some purchase.

coogan
    Free Member

I can't make out what bit of the frame that even is! Where is it?

Right at the bottom of the seat tube where it meets the BB/shock mount section.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

The crack apeared to have extended right round the weld after a session at Innerliethen tonight. I cleaned it up with a bit of IPA and the paint came away revealing it is borked!

toys19
    Free Member

It's time to stop riding it dude. I cannot believe you rode it with the crack the size it was in the first pic!

slugwash
    Free Member

How do you tell if a crack on your paintwork is superficial or affects the underlying metal?

It helps if there's no paintwork left in the affected area 😉

I had the misfortune of identifying this crack on my Inbred 853 yesterday whilst replacing a chainring 🙁

For a few weeks before I discovered it the steering had been a bit funny whilst pedaling on tarmac as if the headset was too tight or the front tyre was semi-deflated, which they weren't 😕 It must have been excessive flexing in the cracked chainstay that was the cause.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Identifying frame cracks’ is closed to new replies.