Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Identification chart for Oz spiders
  • epicyclo

At last! – a simple way to identify that arachnid you trip over on your visit to Oz.

perchypanther
    Free Member

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

Had to chase a ‘big bastard’ out of the kitchen the other day. Man they move fast *shudder*

epicyclo

radtothepowerofsik – Member
    Had to chase a ‘big bastard’ out of the kitchen the other day. Man they move fast *shudder*

My wife used to use hair spray on them because I wouldn’t let her spray them with insecticide. They didn’t like that and got aggressive which made her more frantic. (I just used to let them be)

RichPenny
    Free Member

My wife was surprised when the “ornamental mirror” in our room turned out to be a normal mirror with a “big bastard” hanging off the side 🙂 I laughed, but was foolishly brave when I found one in the mailbox the next day. Correct rad, they are impressively fast.

GrahamS

We accidentally brought a Big Bastard home with us in our luggage from Oz.

Quite disconcerting seeing it on a bedroom wall in the UK.

MoreCashThanDash

That bear warning reminds me of our honeymoon hiking in the Rockies….

spacemonkey

This posting made me chuckle not want to set foot in Australia. Ever.

GrahamS

FWIW I’m pretty sure the “Adelaide Brain Spider” is made up.

We lived in Adelaide for a year and I don’t remember anyone mentioning it (though I guess that part of my brain may be full of spiders).

maccruiskeen

My wife used to use hair spray on them because I wouldn’t let her spray them with insecticide. They didn’t like that and got aggressive which made her more frantic.

top tip – super-freezy-cold pain relief spray. They’re cold blooded so the temperature drop sort of switches them off and stops them scuttling around – then take them outside and they warm up and scamper off.

In the meantime, while your wife it thawing out, you can take care of the spider at your leisure.

epicyclo

maccruiskeen – Member
    top tip – super-freezy-cold pain relief spray. They’re cold blooded so the temperature drop sort of switches them off and stops them scuttling around – then take them outside and they warm up and scamper off.

That’s a great idea. How did you know my missus was cold-blooded though?

Certainly a good way to stop her going berserk with hairspray.

batfink
    Free Member

Saw a bird fighting with a huntsman last weekend….. The spider won

zokes
    Free Member

Generally best to leave the huntsmen be, they’re pretty good at getting rid of the ones that can do you harm

uphillcursing
    Free Member

There is a resident Huntsman in my shed. Happy to share the space with him even though he scares the life out of me sometimes. There are no Redback webs in the shed since he made an appearance.

phiiiiil

Hold on… distribution map for the Huntsman from Wikipedia

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/37/Distribution.sparassidae.1.png%5B/IMG%5D
    !!!

That’s it, I’m moving further north. I wonder if the midges keep them at bay…

kiwijohn

Honestly ,huntsman are harmless. Until they bite you, which they’ll only do if you really annoy them.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Identification chart for Oz spiders’ is closed to new replies.